If you block someone on your phone do they know?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,536
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've blocked my ex on my phone so I can't receive his text messages or any calls and I am wondering if when he texts/calls there's something that tells him I'm not accepting contact from his number.

I told him a few weeks back that we couldn't be friends because he was too intense and obsessive (he wanted to plan a holiday around when he could see me over Easter) and he hasn't taken it very well. He's been emailing and texting fairly regularly since then. Sometimes the messages are okay and pretty friendly but if I don't respond they become nasty. So last night I had messages telling me I couldn't get rid of him that easily and that he'd driven through where my boyfriend lives and that I'm a heartless bitch. That he knows I wish I could delete him from everything but it's not that easy and that chances are we'll bump into one another - we shouldn't, we work in different school authorities, live in different cities and don't share any of the same friends. It felt threatening. I know none of it sounds threatening but it freaked me out all the same. He's turned up at my house before now (a long time ago) and stood outside knocking and shouting through the letter box until I let him in. He's scary with his intensity.

Obviously, I don't want to receive these messages so last night I told him I'd contact the police if he continued and I blocked his number on my phone. I'm now wondering if he knows and if me ignoring him will cause him to blow his top or get some form of revenge. Or if he's been notified that I've blocked his number then he'll get the message finally. What do you reckon?

Comments

• rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    How do you block people from text messages and calls? I want to block this girl that will not leave me alone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you block people from text messages and calls? I want to block this girl that will not leave me alone.

There's an option on my phone. If he sends me a text message when I click on the menu to reply there are a number of other options including "add to block list" and something similar for phone calls "add to reject list" so I've done both. It may make a difference which phone company you're with, I'm with Virgin
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    There's an option on my phone. If he sends me a text message when I click on the menu to reply there are a number of other options including "add to block list" and something similar for phone calls "add to reject list" so I've done both. It may make a difference which phone company you're with, I'm with Virgin

I am with Vodafone and there is an add to block list option, but i did that, and i was still receiving messages from the lass!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought that you vould just block calls, but not texts.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    Its nothing to do with the network, its a function on some phones that cause the message or call to be ignored.
    If he calls you it will be just like you pressed the hang-up button.
  • timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It felt threatening. I know none of it sounds threatening but it freaked me out all the same. He's turned up at my house before now (a long time ago) and stood outside knocking and shouting through the letter box until I let him in. He's scary with his intensity.
    It doesn't matter if they don't seem threatening to other people, if you are feeling threatened then you can have this treated as harassment or stalking, which is against the law.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timey wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they don't seem threatening to other people, if you are feeling threatened then you can have this treated as harassment or stalking, which is against the law.

Do you know how to go about it? I just want it all to stop. I feel sick waiting for the next text or email to arrive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to work for a large phone company (landline phones, not mobile) and its possible to stop people receiving calls from one number.
    Takes alot and you have to jump through a few hoops before they will do it but its possible.....its only software afterall.

Anyway it depended on the network the caller was calling from what message they got, but most of the time they just got a message saying that its not possible to connect the call and to try again....of course when they tried again and again and again they would then call faults.

Faults would then check the line and would then normally end up telling the person that their number has been blocked from calling this number.
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timey wrote: »

Most phone companies will have a Malicious Calls dept. I got to know the BT one very well, and they were excellent.

Contact your phone supplier and ask if they have such a dept - it won't cost you anything and they could be extremely helpful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have worked (and currently still do) for 2 large mobile phone companies...only certain handsets (recent samsungs for definate) let you block calls and/or texts from specific numbers. He wont know that you have blocked him, it will either go straight to your answer phone or say that 'it has been unable to connect his call'. Just to be on the safe side i would ring your mobile phone network and make sure you have got passwords etc set on your account for security so that he cant ring and change anything.
    I have had loads of people ring in pretending to be account holders and change mobile numbers, suspend lines etc so its definately worth doing! Not trying to scare you or anything but its better to be cautious. You can also ring the police and report it, my sister had problems like this with an ex and reported it to the police and they gave him a warning.
    Hope you get things sorted :)