Options

The War Games

koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
Forum Member
Having just watched the 2nd doctors final episode, I have to say that it is an absolutely fantastic story with great baddies and the best ending of any other Doctor Who story .
For a start the pairing of the Doctor with Jamie and Zoe is my favourite Doctor Companion team, as they all work so well together, Jamie is the naive young lad, extremely loyal to the Doctor and a bit gung ho, where as Zoe is like the bossy big sister who thinks she is more intelligent than anyone else including the Doctor. The scene where Villar the leader of the bandits dismisses Zoe because he is uninterested in listening to a woman the look on her face, and the way she trounces off to get Jamie was fantastic.
The villains were easy to identify as they all wore thick glasses used to hypnotise people, making them look even more menacing. The Security Chief and the War Lord were especially good, and the War Chief being a rogue Time Law was the Master in all but name. The Time Lords were portrayed better than they are in latter stories, they appear more superior than any one else and not as a load of frightened old men as they did latter on during the 4th Doctors time, and also the Doctor was clearly scarred of them.
Even though there was ten episodes I never felt that it was padded out, but there is something’s you have to overlook for example how three people can hide behind a small machine and not be seen by anyone is a little farfetched, but that happens in all of the early series.
As I said it also had the best ending of any story since, the pain of them realising that they will never see each other again, as Zoe says Will we ever meet again and the Doctor replying Now, Zoe, you and I know that time is relative, isn't it. With the Doctor knowing that they never will and that Zoe will have to go back to the life she was glad to leave never remembering all the adventures she had with the Doctor. ( I think this is much better than when Rose left which was I thought was overly done.) And then finally the death of the second Doctor,(you can just imagine how this must have felt to the fans at the time.) with the cliffhanger of having a new Doctor for the next series.

Brilliant if you haven’t seen it watch it now.

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched it for the first time a few days ago and I agree it's a great story (possibly the best 2nd Doctor one I've seen).

I spread out my viewing over 4 nights but probably could have watched it in one or two sittings as it does really skip along without too much padding despite being 10 episodes long.

The Time Lords are very different to how they are later portrayed, seemingly far more powerful than they ever are again (till the new series anyway).
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    This was the only story I hadn't seen as it was too expensive on VHS. Good to see it a lot cheaper on DVD.
  • Options
    dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its my fave DW story EVER
  • Options
    Counting.No.AgeCounting.No.Age Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    It's a brilliant story and your right, it really doesn't drag which you think it would. I think Two and Jamie are my favourite pairing. Zoe is always good, especially when they remember that she is clever.
    The time lords were great in this, they seem more alien I think, but I do like them in the later serials. The ending is pretty scary, and it's sad that Jamie & Zoe don't remember their adventures. The gap between series must have been horrible, at least we got a glimpse of Eleven!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoe is always good, especially when they remember that she is clever.

That made me laugh, CNA! It sums up the uneven (rubbish?) attitude towards writing for the regular characters which sometimes let the show down.
  • Options
    koloisadkoloisad Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    It's a brilliant story and your right, it really doesn't drag which you think it would. I think Two and Jamie are my favourite pairing. Zoe is always good, especially when they remember that she is clever.
    The time lords were great in this, they seem more alien I think, but I do like them in the later serials. The ending is pretty scary, and it's sad that Jamie & Zoe don't remember their adventures. The gap between series must have been horrible, at least we got a glimpse of Eleven!

I think that is a sign of the times very sexist where women belonged in the kitchen, but you have to look past all of them things and accept it for what it is. But I think zoe was one of the best companions as her cleverness wasnt over done if you see what I mean.