Options

Can I refuse to be weighed by my GP/nurse?

Comments

• Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same sort of problem with the GP/nurse. I don't often go (partly because of this) but whenever I do they want to take my blood pressure. It always gives such a high reading that they think their machine must be broken. They take it again, it's even higher so they start telling me I need medication for it.

I don't have HBP ,its a high reading because of white coat syndrome.I measure it at home and it's ok. I'm not taking medicine I don't need for the rest of my life. I have to refuse every appointment I go to and always have the same tedious argument. As I am not an assertive person, to put it mildly, it gives every appointment an unnecessarily unpleasant start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that the key phrase, as stated earlier in the thread by one of the more helpful FMs is "Informed dissent".

I'm fairly certain that my Mother-in-Law (a nurse) told me that most of the time the BP and weighing test are not relevant to why you're there and just data collecting the surgery is doing, and that you don't have to go through with it if you don't want to. Unfortunately she's uncontactable at the moment, but she was only confirming something I had previously suspected because of the attitude of the surgery staff - only 1 nurse (there are 2 there, and 4 GPs) insists quite vehemently, the rest simply accept the initial "I'd rather not".

I do keep a regular eye on my weight and what I eat, so would be better placed to inform them of any unusual weight changes than a once in 6 months check by them.

If I remember to ask when I'm there tomorrow I will, but in general it depends on whether I get the KGB nurse or not.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same sort of problem with the GP/nurse. I don't often go (partly because of this) but whenever I do they want to take my blood pressure. It always gives such a high reading that they think their machine must be broken. They take it again, it's even higher so they start telling me I need medication for it.

I don't have HBP ,its a high reading because of white coat syndrome.I measure it at home and it's ok. I'm not taking medicine I don't need for the rest of my life. I have to refuse every appointment I go to and always have the same tedious argument. As I am not an assertive person, to put it mildly, it gives every appointment an unnecessarily unpleasant start.

Poor you Maxine!

I too loathe having my BP taken (but the reading is *touch wood* always OK) I take a book in with me and read that as the nurse is taking it.

I do get really tense, sweaty and feel like I want to run away but alas as I normally only go for a pill check I have to get through the whole blood pressure thing otherwise they wont repeat my prescription....

I didn't realise it was that common :eek:

It's one of the main reasons I am afraid of ever getting pregnant - I know they need to take your BP very regularly :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor you Maxine!

I too loathe having my BP taken (but the reading is *touch wood* always OK) I take a book in with me and read that as the nurse is taking it.

I do get really tense, sweaty and feel like I want to run away but alas as I normally only go for a pill check I have to get through the whole blood pressure thing otherwise they wont repeat my prescription....

It's one of the main reasons I am afraid of ever getting pregnant - I know they need to take your BP very regularly :o

I'll have to try that when I'm there, although I'm currently reading a comedy so may get odd looks if I laugh out loud.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor you Maxine!

I think I can safely say that having your BP checked will be the least of your problems if pregnant !!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I can safely say that having your BP checked will be the least of your problems if pregnant !!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :o
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Being weighed actually puts me off going to see the nurse. I am about 2 stone overweight. I know I am, and i dont need a nurse telling me. I put on weight through going on steroids. Although i do occsionally eat a cream cake, its rare. But when i see the nurse she feels the need to tell me to eat nothing but salads and loose weight - and suggests a weight control help group.

The last time i went she asked me what i had eaten that day, so i told her. Nothing for breakfast, a homemade tuna / cucumber sarnie for lunch and an apple and banana (I remember it vividly even though this conversation was a year ago as the appointment made an impression on me). She looked at me as though i were lying, and that i had left out the greasy fry up and large bar of chocolate.

I find it a little offensive to be fair. Especially when, the last time i walked out of the nurses room i walked into a woman who was vastly overweight and must tip the scales at about 30 stones. My 11 stone isnt a massive problem.

Another time i went to the GP and he weighed me again. He then told me i was fat and old and i should come off the pill. I am 36. I walked out of there really upset and when i got home and told my husband, I actually cried. Pathetic i know.

So - i can see where the OP is coming from.

I have to go back to the nurse for a check up soon. I keep putting it off, but i am hoping that she wont weigh me again as i have since come off the pill - which i think is one of the reasons why my weight has been monitored.

Did your Dr. actually use those words?? If they did you should maybe put a complaint it.

I am 37 and overwieght, I am very active and play rugby but I am under no delusions that I am overwieght. I am alos on high blood pressure medication as I have suffered with it for over 10 years. Though my Dr is adimant that is not due to wieght but I stand on the scales and I think it helps to be aware of what my weight is.

Not doing so is sort of denying the problem and being overwieght or underweight do pose significant risks.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Just get on the bloody scales and stop being such an arse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

:D

So bloody true ,. Talk about being bloody awkward for the sake of being awkward .that goes for the nurse too by the way ,
  • Options
    maxinerulesmaxinerules Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you should have to accept any treatment that you don't want and haven't asked for.

Just say - no thanks, I am here for .... (whatever it is).That is what I want to talk about today.

So in answer to your original question, yes you can refuse to be weighed just be polite but firm.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Has it ever occured to you that your home BP kit may be less than accurate?

High BP can be indicative of serious health problems.
  • Options
    slslsslsls Posts: 2,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vermin wrote: »
    I need to go to see my GP, and while there they usually want to weigh me and take my blood pressure.

I know my weight, and it's irrelevant to the reason I'm there, but each time there's usually an arguement, and when they then take my blood pressure its unsurprisingly high.

Is there any sort of "legalese" phrase I can use to stop them before things get heated?

I should say I work in the NHS.

You don't have to say or do anything, you're doctor can't compel you to do anything you don't wish to do.

If you're unhappy with the blood pressure reading I would explain to them calmly that you're unhappy with the readings that have been given as you have been upset at the time and believe this has given an innaccurate reading and request that this is taken either before your weight in future or at a separate appointment.

You can also tell them that you know your weight and would be happy to tell them but do not wish to be weighed. They have to take your word for it if that's what you wish to do.

The only thing it might impact is, as another poster said, drug dosage. But that would only mean in some situations they may decline to give you certain drugs if they feel they would not be able to give these to you safely without knowing your weight accurately. But in that situation they would explain to you exactly why they needed your weight and that they would not be able to prescribe you the drugs without it, they wouldn't just summarily demand your weight and then deny you drugs without explaining.

You're quite within your rights, if you don't want to do it you don't have to. Your doctors or the nurses should be explaining to you why they need it and how the information will be used and what the advantages and disadvantages to your decision would be but they shouldn't be trying to bully you into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »

Ever thought of being a samaritan with that attitude?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    I should say I work in the NHS.

You don't have to say or do anything, you're doctor can't compel you to do anything you don't wish to do.

If you're unhappy with the blood pressure reading I would explain to them calmly that you're unhappy with the readings that have been given as you have been upset at the time and believe this has given an innaccurate reading and request that this is taken either before your weight in future or at a separate appointment.

You can also tell them that you know your weight and would be happy to tell them but do not wish to be weighed. They have to take your word for it if that's what you wish to do.

The only thing it might impact is, as another poster said, drug dosage. But that would only mean in some situations they may decline to give you certain drugs if they feel they would not be able to give these to you safely without knowing your weight accurately. But in that situation they would explain to you exactly why they needed your weight and that they would not be able to prescribe you the drugs without it, they wouldn't just summarily demand your weight and then deny you drugs without explaining.

You're quite within your rights, if you don't want to do it you don't have to. Your doctors or the nurses should be explaining to you why they need it and how the information will be used and what the advantages and disadvantages to your decision would be but they shouldn't be trying to bully you into it.

Thank you.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to try that when I'm there, although I'm currently reading a comedy so may get odd looks if I laugh out loud.

Yeah, cause you wouldnt want to come across as being odd or anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not like they are going to post your weight on the notice board in the surgery. and yes they need to take it as it WILL be to do with your blood pressure. you do know they can remove you from their practice, then you have the hassle of registering with another doctors.

Jesus Christ. I'm astounded by the ignorance of some people.

Do you think we live in some kind of Stasi state where if you object to being weighed every time you go to the surgery you'll be removed from the register? If surgeries were regularly removing people for reasons like that they'd probably end up with a stack of complaints against them and would be removed from practicing as an NHS surgery.

And it may interest you to know that most GP surgeries are private businesses, funded by the NHS NOT part of the NHS and they receive funding for each patient, they wouldn't remove her, she's a little walking money bag to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vermin, out of curiosity do you live in an area with high obesity rate or is considered deprived?

The reason why I ask is because if you are they may have targets for interventions with overweight patients or clinics for the overweight.

Incentives for these targets may well be financial rewards plus if they are running obesity clinics etc they will receive payment for running them and for attendees. As I said most GPs are private enterprises which are run to make a profit, they're often not part of the NHS, they're only funded by it. The reason they're so determined to weigh you could be linked to that.

Plus it could be being collected for research especially if you're in the type of area specified above. They couldn't link it to you but they could give, say, an aggregate of their patients weight by age or similar. You're not obliged to have your details included in that either if you don't want. Stick to your guns, you have a right not to be weighed if you don't wish to be, it's your choice.

Plus you're not being 'awkward' or 'difficult' as some other posters have suggested, you're making a reasonable request which you have a right to do and if they're forcing the point they're the ones in the wrong.

Believe me, awkward and difficult patients are ones who are abusive, violent, mentally ill, incontinent, demented (often through no fault of their own) and your request comes nowhere near.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Yeah, cause you wouldnt want to come across as being odd or anything.

I'd rather that than boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slsls wrote: »
    Vermin, out of curiosity do you live in an area with high obesity rate or is considered deprived?

The reason why I ask is because if you are they may have targets for interventions with overweight patients or clinics for the overweight.

Incentives for these targets may well be financial rewards plus if they are running obesity clinics etc they will receive payment for running them and for attendees. As I said most GPs are private enterprises which are run to make a profit, they're often not part of the NHS, they're only funded by it. The reason they're so determined to weigh you could be linked to that.

Plus it could be being collected for research especially if you're in the type of area specified above. They couldn't link it to you but they could give, say, an aggregate of their patients weight by age or similar. You're not obliged to have your details included in that either if you don't want. Stick to your guns, you have a right not to be weighed if you don't wish to be, it's your choice.

Plus you're not being 'awkward' or 'difficult' as some other posters have suggested, you're making a reasonable request which you have a right to do and if they're forcing the point they're the ones in the wrong.

Believe me, awkward and difficult patients are ones who are abusive, violent, mentally ill, incontinent, demented (often through no fault of their own) and your request comes nowhere near.

I'm fortunate enough to live in a fairly prosperous area with a low unemployment rate and reasonably good standards of living. I'm not aware of excessive numbers of chubbies.

I didn't ask my question to get insults - I can get them any time I like from people who know me - simply to know of an easy way to make myself clear.
  • Options
    BagpipesBagpipes Posts: 5,443
    Forum Member
    Never mind, can't be arsed
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather that than boring.

Ah, so a bit of an attention seeker. No worries, job done that's for sure.
  • Options
    Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I'm fortunate enough to live in a fairly prosperous area with a low unemployment rate and reasonably good standards of living. I'm not aware of excessive numbers of chubbies.

I didn't ask my question to get insults - I can get them any time I like from people who know me - simply to know of an easy way to make myself clear.

I'm afraid that your logic does not follow. I live in an affluent area of London and I still see a number of overweight people. Money does not mean you are automatically thin.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Mint_TeaMint_Tea Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Ah, so a bit of an attention seeker. No worries, job done that's for sure.

Yes, i'm inclined to agree. Next they will be claiming a breach under Human Rights legislation.:D
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I haven't been weighed by a GP since I was a kid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mint_Tea wrote: »
    Yes, i'm inclined to agree. Next they will be claiming a breach under Human Rights legislation.:D

Thought it yesterday after a few posts too .;)
This discussion has been closed.