Options

UK rejects US request to use army bases

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
Forum Member
This and this.

This does make me wonder if this is because the government are actually concerned about international law or because they are trying to play politics in the US election.

Comments

• Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaymes wrote: »
    This and this.

This does make me wonder if this is because the government are actually concerned about international law or because they are trying to play politics in the US election.

Third option that the coallition don't want to be dragged into a Blair style PR disaster similar to the Iraq fiasco.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well if the Guardian haven't thought of that then it is most unlikely. :D
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for Britain then, just hope the warmongering Americans don't decide to sanction us to death just as we're about to be out of the recession! They're considering downgrading Trident as well, so if we can just do that and change our mind about building drones I might change my opinion on the coalition. :o
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This and this.

It does seem to somewhat jump the gun about any future action. Hopefully with this and the McKinnon extradition result the countries can start to distance themselves from each other. :)
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good. How many more Dunkin' Donuts stands do we need.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem to somewhat jump the gun about any future action. Hopefully with this and the McKinnon extradition result the countries can start to distance themselves from each other. :)

Nice thought, but I doubt it will have the desired effect.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Nice thought, but I doubt it will have the desired effect.
    Hopefully they distance themselves some, but not too much. Wouldn't want the US to not be allied with us at all, they might start seeing us as somewhere else to bomb. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they distance themselves some, but not too much. Wouldn't want the US to not be allied with us at all, they might start seeing us as somewhere else to bomb. :rolleyes:

Irony overload there.

I agree with BB's sentiments, btw- it does seem to jump the gun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    It seems like an odd thing to leak to the press when things like this probably happen on a day to day basis. We shall see some time after 6th November if this changes.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt the previous administration would have bent over backwards to allow our bases to be used. All whilst waving goodbye to Gary McKinnon at the airport as he flew off to face US "justice".
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Perhaps the Tories are holding out in the hope the US will bung some money their way for being allowed to use these bases? Alternatively, perhaps they realise that the coalition would blow apart if we got involved in another US adventure?
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's remarks like that which make me hope we aren't allied at all. :)
  • Options
    shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, this is the first decision this government has made that i agree with :)