Aww, what a poor young man on Eastenders is Dean (spoilers)

Comments

• _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wotnot wrote: »

A grown, confident woman (as Linda is portrayed) would have taken action. She wouldn't have behaved as though nothing had happened and even been friendly to her rapist on occasion. I feel that these actions would have realistically given the impression of her having something to hide rather than being a victim in the eyes of other people in her community.

How wonderful that you're able to speak on behalf of rape victims to let us know exactly how they will behave following this traumatic, life-altering event.

Also, give me one example of Linda acting like nothing had happened, and being friendly to Dean following the rape?
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are suggesting that because I dislike someone I would condone their rape?

That is either an incredibly nasty or a silly thing to say. I have given my reasons for my view of this STORYLINE and how it has been PLAYED OUT by the CHARACTERS and that is what my views are based on.

A grown, confident woman (as Linda is portrayed) would have taken action. She wouldn't have behaved as though nothing had happened and even been friendly to her rapist on occasion. I feel that these actions would have realistically given the impression of her having something to hide rather than being a victim in the eyes of other people in her community.

Of course not. I'm suggesting that your dislike of Linda is clouding your ability to see her as the victim she is. She is not being written as a cheater in the slightest, so something is making you believe that and I don't think it's simply missing the scene.

I'm sorry, but your comments about Linda are quite naive and offensive. Plenty of confident women lose confidence after being attacked, as Linda did. Plenty of women are terrified of being called a liar. It's not as simple as confessing. It's a terrible and harrowing ordeal that can sometimes last a lifetime.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    How wonderful that you're able to speak on behalf of rape victims to let us know exactly how they will behave following this traumatic, life-altering event.

Also, give me one example of Linda acting like nothing had happened, and being friendly to Dean following the rape?

Must've been that time she physically pulled her own hair out at being left alone in a room with him. Nothing screams indifference and friendship than self harm at the mere prospect of being in someone's vicinity.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a fan of Deano, I'm very happy that it looks like Dean and prison is going to be revisited.

Where, how and why Eastenders are going with this is another story.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    I can not believe people on this thread are basically saying Linda deserved to be raped and Dean is innocent

I know - it is truly, truly disgusting. Shame on those on this thread who are condoning rape, and expectung sympathy for rapists. >:(
  • wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member

This is becoming as ridiculous as the storyline...

She allowed Dean to come to her home on several occasions and on one occasion at least behaved in a supportive way towards him. I recall one episode when Dean was unsure whether to go away with Shirley and Linda pulled him aside and said she felt her should go with his mum as it would be good for him.

WE KNOW that she was only being that way towards him because she wanted rid of him but would he get that impression and would anyone else?
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Of course not. I'm suggesting that your dislike of Linda is clouding your ability to see her as the victim she is. She is not being written as a cheater in the slightest, so something is making you believe that and I don't think it's simply missing the scene.

I'm sorry, but your comments about Linda are quite naive and offensive. Plenty of confident women lose confidence after being attacked, as Linda did. Plenty of women are terrified of being called a liar. It's not as simple as confessing. It's a terrible and harrowing ordeal that can sometimes last a lifetime.

I think that your comments on this subject are sensationalist and neurotic but we are here to comment on the storyline and not one another.

I said very clearly why I felt that she made herself look like a cheater. I have explained why I don't think the character that I have seen thus far would have behaved the way that Linda did and IMO the entire situation was written in such a way as to throw doubt into the mix.

There are several posters on this thread blowing things completely out of proportion and becoming emotionally caught up in a STORYLINE on a SOAP and losing a sense of reality.

All of my comments have been based on what I have seen on screen and my perception of it.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I think that your comments on this subject are sensationalist and neurotic but we are here to comment on the storyline and not one another.

I said very clearly why I felt that she made herself look like a cheater. I have explained why I don't think the character that I have seen thus far would have behaved the way that Linda did and IMO the entire situation was written in such a way as to throw doubt into the mix.

There are several posters on this thread blowing things completely out of proportion and becoming emotionally caught up in a STORYLINE on a SOAP and losing a sense of reality.

All of my comments have been based on what I have seen on screen and my perception of it.

BIB:100% this. We are watching/discussing a soap not a documentary!
  • Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are all in agreement that Dean raped Linda, that he is 100% responsible for that, that the rape was in no way Linda's fault and that nothing excuses or justifies Dean's actions.

But the rest is down to interpretation. Some posters, like myself think that Mat is doing a good job in portraying Dean. Others disagree. Some think Dean is in denial/unaware that he raped Linda. Others disagree.

Dean has been written as a complex and multi-layered character. He is clearly not evil as he cares about Stan, Shirley and Denise to name a few. His previous stint in prison combined with rejection by Shirley and women he has dated has made him very messed up and damaged.

The rape should never have happened and in an ideal world he would be punished and given psychiatric help and treatment. I can be sorry that Dean destroyed his life without excusing what he did to Linda. I don't hate Dean but I do think he needs to face the consequences of his actions and get psychiatric help. I don't particularly like Linda as a character but I am sorry that she went through something so horrific and traumatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    BIB:100% this. We are watching/discussing a soap not a documentary!
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    As a fan of Deano, I'm very happy that it looks like Dean and prison is going to be revisited.

Where, how and why Eastenders are going with this is another story.

I agree.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is hard to explain but for me I love Deans character there is so much in there to explore and Matt plays him very well, he is a bit like Michael Moon. I hate that he raped Linda and wish the writers had never went down this road but they did and it has harmed Dean, Linda and Mick's characters I liked them especially Mick but I am getting fed up with his stroppy face. Basically I think Dean should stay on the show because his character has so many layers and plenty for us too watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is becoming as ridiculous as the storyline...

She allowed Dean to come to her home on several occasions and on one occasion at least behaved in a supportive way towards him. I recall one episode when Dean was unsure whether to go away with Shirley and Linda pulled him aside and said she felt her should go with his mum as it would be good for him.

WE KNOW that she was only being that way towards him because she wanted rid of him but would he get that impression and would anyone else?

She was tramuatised and unable to tell anyone what happened. Her body language when Dean was in her home told the viewer everything they needed to know. She didn't want him in her home, but she didn't know how to get rid of him without revealing what had happened to her. Something she didn't want to do because she was worried that Mick would kill Dean (which as it happens he almost did when he found out.) I'd also warrant that there was a large part of her wanting to protect her children from something this horrific, which is why she allowed Johnny to leave without protesting when she realised it was inevitable she was going to need to tell Mick.

When she spoke to Dean to tell him to go away with Shirley and Buster, as you said she did that because she finally saw a way where she would be able to live somewhat less in fear. It's not about what impression Dean got, or any other characters that might have heard the conversation. She had nothing to prove because we know 100% that she had been raped.

I'm not even entirely sure what your point is. I think it's veering dangerously close to 'Because she didn't report him, and because she's tried to get on with her life, she doesn't deserve to be sympathised with any longer.'

There is no light and shade in the fact that Dean raped her. We are not meant to be viewing Linda as anything less than the victim of a horrific attack. Whether you like her or not (and I do understand why she can be a difficult character to like on occasion), making statements like 'she's annoying but Dean isn't' is inevitably going to get people's backs up as it appears to us that you're excusing his behaviour simply because Linda isn't a character you like.
    Forum Member
    She was tramuatised and unable to tell anyone what happened. Her body language when Dean was in her home told the viewer everything they needed to know. She didn't want him in her home, but she didn't know how to get rid of him without revealing what had happened to her. Something she didn't want to do because she was worried that Mick would kill Dean (which as it happens he almost did when he found out.) I'd also warrant that there was a large part of her wanting to protect her children from something this horrific, which is why she allowed Johnny to leave without protesting when she realised it was inevitable she was going to need to tell Mick.

When she spoke to Dean to tell him to go away with Shirley and Buster, as you said she did that because she finally saw a way where she would be able to live somewhat less in fear. It's not about what impression Dean got, or any other characters that might have heard the conversation. She had nothing to prove because we know 100% that she had been raped.

I'm not even entirely sure what your point is. I think it's veering dangerously close to 'Because she didn't report him, and because she's tried to get on with her life, she doesn't deserve to be sympathised with any longer.'

There is no light and shade in the fact that Dean raped her. We are not meant to be viewing Linda as anything less than the victim of a horrific attack. Whether you like her or not (and I do understand why she can be a difficult character to like on occasion), making statements like 'she's annoying but Dean isn't' is inevitably going to get people's backs up as it appears to us that you're excusing his behaviour simply because Linda isn't a character you like.

Thank you for the long post explaining YOUR perception of what happened. I am afraid I still disagree with most of it but that's my prerogative I believe ;-)

My point is and has been very clear throughout. I find it difficult to dislike Dean even when I know I should because of my dislike for the Carter's. As other's have said, this could be because he is played very well and despite being a monster who raped a woman, he has a very vulnerable and quite likeable side, which is actually very clever writing and good acting ability from Matt Di Angelo.

However, NOT ONCE have I said Linda shouldn't be sympathised with, not once have I said she deserved to be raped or should not be believed. I have given reasons why it might be easy for people to believe Dean over her but it seems some people have the inability to read whole sentences and prefer to pick and choose which bits of text to take on board.

This - making statements like 'she's annoying but Dean isn't' - is a complete fabrication! lol
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I think it's sad for Dean that it was in fact his Mum who supposedly believes he is innocent and supposedly wants to show she is a changed person with regards to him was the one that selfishly told the police about him and not the true victims of this :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for the long post explaining YOUR perception of what happened. I am afraid I still disagree with most of it but that's my prerogative I believe ;-)

My point is and has been very clear throughout. I find it difficult to dislike Dean even when I know I should because of my dislike for the Carter's. As other's have said, this could be because he is played very well and despite being a monster who raped a woman, he has a very vulnerable and quite likeable side, which is actually very clever writing and good acting ability from Matt Di Angelo.

However, NOT ONCE have I said Linda shouldn't be sympathised with, not once have I said she deserved to be raped or should not be believed. I have given reasons why it might be easy for people to believe Dean over her but it seems some people have the inability to read whole sentences and prefer to pick and choose which bits of text to take on board.

This - making statements like 'she's annoying but Dean isn't' - is a complete fabrication! lol

It isn't my 'perception' of what happened. Only someone willfully looking to misconstrue what happened on screen could ever come to the conclusion that Linda carried on as normal after the rape and that she was even friendly to Dean at some points. It just didn't happen. Saying something is your prerogative is all well and good, but your prerogative is based on a completely untrue foundation. By all means, say you don't like Linda and that you do like Dean - I won't particularly agree with you but equally I won't tell you that you're wrong, and that you must like Linda and hate Dean.

However, if you're deliberately making things up that didn't happen, just to suit your argument, I'm going to call you out on it. So let's reiterate once again: Linda was absolutely traumatised following the rape, and she did not once show friendliness with Dean. She was terrified of him (and still is, I'll warrant.)

And okay, I didn't get your wording exactly right, but in another thread you said this:

"I have to say that despite his horrible crime, I find it difficult to dislike Dean over the Carter's. They truly are a dislikable bunch."

Which does rather imply that you find the Carters 'dislikeable' and Dean not, which as I said, if you compare them in that way then don't be surprised if people see this as a 'I'm on Dean's side' type statement. It pits one against the other and as you brought up Dean's crime in the same sentence, it does look like you're diminishing what he did simply because you don't like the family.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not touching the rape apologist posts anymore - they upset me with their ignorance.

I think it's sad for Dean that it was in fact his Mum who supposedly believes he is innocent and supposedly wants to show she is a changed person with regards to him was the one that selfishly told the police about him and not the true victims of this :(

She only told the police about him not out of any civic duty but to keep him where she knew he was, as him and Buster would've left without her otherwise. She didn't shop him because she thought he was guilty - it was just a 100% selfish action where she used the son she apparently believes is 'completely innocent' to get what she wanted. Not only that, she arranged for him to get arrested at the hospital where her dying father was.

Dean might not be right in the head and that's why he's as vile as he is, but Shirley has no such excuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It isn't my 'perception' of what happened. Only someone willfully looking to misconstrue what happened on screen could ever come to the conclusion that Linda carried on as normal after the rape and that she was even friendly to Dean at some points. It just didn't happen. Saying something is your prerogative is all well and good, but your prerogative is based on a completely untrue foundation. By all means, say you don't like Linda and that you do like Dean - I won't particularly agree with you but equally I won't tell you that you're wrong, and that you must like Linda and hate Dean.

However, if you're deliberately making things up that didn't happen, just to suit your argument, I'm going to call you out on it. So let's reiterate once again: Linda was absolutely traumatised following the rape, and she did not once show friendliness with Dean. She was terrified of him (and still is, I'll warrant.)

And okay, I didn't get your wording exactly right, but in another thread you said this:

"I have to say that despite his horrible crime, I find it difficult to dislike Dean over the Carter's. They truly are a dislikable bunch."

Which does rather imply that you find the Carters 'dislikeable' and Dean not, which as I said, if you compare them in that way then don't be surprised if people see this as a 'I'm on Dean's side' type statement. It pits one against the other and as you brought up Dean's crime in the same sentence, it does look like you're diminishing what he did simply because you don't like the family.
    curvybabes wrote: »
    It is hard to explain but for me I love Deans character there is so much in there to explore and Matt plays him very well, he is a bit like Michael Moon. I hate that he raped Linda and wish the writers had never went down this road but they did and it has harmed Dean, Linda and Mick's characters I liked them especially Mick but I am getting fed up with his stroppy face. Basically I think Dean should stay on the show because his character has so many layers and plenty for us too watch.

I agree with Elly that Linda was traumatised after the rape, terrified of Dean and terrified of speaking out because of what Mick might do and because she wanted to protect her children if possible.

But, I also agree with WotNot and Curvybabes that Dean is a fascinating character to watch, acted brilliantly by Matt and written well - I'm not sure about the Michael comparison as I don't believe Michael would have harmed anyone the way Dean harmed Linda but again Michael was complex and fascinating to watch just like Dean is.
    Forum Member
    Saying something is your prerogative is all well and good, but your prerogative is based on a completely untrue foundation. By all means, say you don't like Linda and that you do like Dean - I won't particularly agree with you but equally I won't tell you that you're wrong, and that you must like Linda and hate Dean.

It's my prerogative to disagree with you, my prerogative is not based on anything. Surely you are mixing up this word with perception.

I have not once made anything up. I quoted a scene that actually happened and gave my view (perception) of it.

If people choose to insinuate that I mean something else or take my words in a way that they weren't intended then that is their prerogative but it doean't make me a rapist appologist just because they say so and even a mildly intelligent person can read through this thread and see what is going on but the words are there in black and white and what you choose to take from them is your choice.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really bored with the rape storyline and feel that it ruined the reveal of Shirley being Mick's mum.

That aside the fact that Dean is not an out and out 'evil' character makes the drama more interesting. Most people who commit a crime (including rapists) are not usually completely evil and may even have a pleasant side (like being kind to their grandparents). If Dean was completely nasty no body would believe that he could be innocent (including his own mother).

I don't understand how Linda could be the 'wrong sort of rape victim'. Rape can happen to any woman it's not reserved for certain types.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I'm really bored with the rape storyline and feel that it ruined the reveal of Shirley being Mick's mum.

That aside the fact that Dean is not an out and out 'evil' character makes the drama more interesting. Most people who commit a crime (including rapists) are not usually completely evil and may even have a pleasant side (like being kind to their grandparents). If Dean was completely nasty no body would believe that he could be innocent (including his own mother).

I don't understand how Linda could be the 'wrong sort of rape victim'. Rape can happen to any woman it's not reserved for certain types.

I'm not sure I agree with this bit. Frank Foster imo was evil and yet he still charmed his parents, Sally Webster and the court into believing him when he was guilty all along and moreover didn't give a damn about anyone but himself. It's true that Dean not being evil is more interesting though as very few people/characters are.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The victim blaming here is frankly disgraceful and makes me angry but also extremely sad at the same time.

>:(>:(>:(:(:(:(
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I agree with this bit. Frank Foster imo was evil and yet he still charmed his parents, Sally Webster and the court into believing him when he was guilty all along and moreover didn't give a damn about anyone but himself. It's true that Dean not being evil is more interesting though as very few people/characters are.

I don't watch Corrie but I assume from your post that the character of Frank was a bit of a conman and charmed everyone although he was not a nice person.

Dean isn't the same sort of character, he is a rather angry young man with little to recommend him outside of his good looks. He comes across as rather petulant and selfish most of the time. I can't say that I like him much but then again as I said before he's not a complete villain. He still acts like a teenager blaming his mother for everything that has gone wrong in his life and she feels guilty for not being a better mother.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse1 wrote: »
    I know - it is truly, truly disgusting. Shame on those on this thread who are condoning rape, and expectung sympathy for rapists. >:(

This thread is tame compared to the one a few weeks ago. One user in particular seems so obsessed with rape I'm concerned for their state of mind. Its not only disgusting but deeply disturbing.
  • secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The victim blaming here is frankly disgraceful and makes me angry but also extremely sad at the same time.

>:(>:(>:(:(:(:(

Don't be sad or angry, people are discussing a fictional character on a fictional soap, not some horrific real life story shown on the news. Save your anger and sadness for the cruel, horrible, true things that are happening in the world.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't be sad or angry, people are discussing a fictional character on a fictional soap, not some horrific real life story shown on the news. Save your anger and sadness for the cruel, horrible, true things that are happening in the world.

Obviously this is fiction but the attitudes shown on here are very realistic sadly :(

This is why some people don't report rape