Options

The Johnny Carter (Sam Strike / Ted Reilly) Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching the scenes tonight and seeing the previews shots of the Carter family around Stan's bed as he is close to death really does hit home that Johnny is gone and it does feel like he is no longer part of the family:(

I wonder if they will even mention Johnny with regards the funeral? Probably not as they would have to explain why he did not return or even see Stan when they knew he was dying (and they had time)

It is the way it has to be but I still miss Johnny in those big family scenes.
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the scenes tonight and seeing the previews shots of the Carter family around Stan's bed as he is close to death really does hit home that Johnny is gone and it does feel like he is no longer part of the family:(

I wonder if they will even mention Johnny with regards the funeral? Probably not as they would have to explain why he did not return or even see Stan when they knew he was dying (and they had time)

It is the way it has to be but I still miss Johnny in those big family scenes.

It did piss me off a bit in yesterday's episode when Shirley was adamant that Dean had to see Stan before he died because he's his grandson, yet no mention was made of Johnny. Okay, I know Stan isn't Johnny's grandfather but Johnny thought about him in that way. (Does Johnny actually know that Shirley is his grandmother? I can't remember if that came out or not before he went?)

I think that now Sam has been cast in the Leatherface film, DTC will probably give up on the idea of him returning to the role at some point. Which may mean we could get a recast, but I'm starting to think that maybe he's realised there's been too much going on with the Carters and that he will probably hold off bringing Johnny back for a while until there's a clear storyline for him.

I do still really miss Johnny and I still struggle to enjoy the Carter scenes the way I used to. :(
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    It did piss me off a bit in yesterday's episode when Shirley was adamant that Dean had to see Stan before he died because he's his grandson, yet no mention was made of Johnny. Okay, I know Stan isn't Johnny's grandfather but Johnny thought about him in that way. (Does Johnny actually know that Shirley is his grandmother? I can't remember if that came out or not before he went?)

I think that now Sam has been cast in the Leatherface film, DTC will probably give up on the idea of him returning to the role at some point. Which may mean we could get a recast, but I'm starting to think that maybe he's realised there's been too much going on with the Carters and that he will probably hold off bringing Johnny back for a while until there's a clear storyline for him.

I do still really miss Johnny and I still struggle to enjoy the Carter scenes the way I used to. :(

Came out after. Same could also be said about zsa zsa or Carly. They are also his grandkids and of Dean was close to stan the. No reason why Carly wouldn't be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Came out after. Same could also be said about zsa zsa or Carly. They are also his grandkids and of Dean was close to stan the. No reason why Carly wouldn't be.

Yeah, true. I know that Dean is coming back so that's obviously why Shirley mentioned him and none of the others but it did just feel a little bit false that Shirley felt Dean HAD to come back because of his grandfather dying, but none of the other grandchildren (in particular Johnny who was also close to Stan) were mentioned.

But then it's probably not surprising that they won't mention Johnny throughout this storyline given that it's such a huge suspension of reality that he wouldn't just fly back for the funeral. I guess the writer's hands are tied with this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam doesn't seem to be up to much at the moment, I wonder when the filming for Leatherface begins?

At the risk of sounding a bit too optimistic, if they're planning a summer wedding for Mick and Linda then I'd imagine they'll be filming that quite soon. There's therefore a chance that the schedules will synchronise and we might get a Johnny appearance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    Sam doesn't seem to be up to much at the moment, I wonder when the filming for Leatherface begins?

At the risk of sounding a bit too optimistic, if they're planning a summer wedding for Mick and Linda then I'd imagine they'll be filming that quite soon. There's therefore a chance that the schedules will synchronise and we might get a Johnny appearance.

Thomas Law who played Peter Beale did a recent interview and said he does not want to return to soaps just doing one character. Thomas like Sam quit to pursue his passion for music and acting and he wants to take on different roles to grow as an actor. Thomas reminded me of Sam very passionate about his acting and prepared to wait for interesting roles rather than take the easy route of soaps. Scott Maslan who played Jack also refused to return to EE for Jim Branning's funeral saying he wants to move away playing the character and he left 18 months ago!.

I suspect Sam will not want to reprise the role of Johnny certainly this year and I suspect he will never play Johnny again.. He has moved on and I think he wants to focus on the future and that is his film career which seems to taking off rather than return to EE playing Johnny. I am sure EE will ask Sam if he would return for the wedding to make a guest appearance but don't think there is much chance he will agree. The one hope is that Sam is close to Danny and Kelly and might do it as a favour to them If he is available.

I am sure DTC must know that Sam is going on to bigger and thing and probably won't be returning to EE. The only way Johnny is returning is with a recast but I doubt he do that for a couple of years. I guess there is the very outside chance they may go recast for the wedding but I would amazed if they did it but stranger things have taken place in EE!
  • Options
    Neu IntentionNeu Intention Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Strike has gone a bit quiet, bit like after he left EastEnders (offscreen). But he deserves a break - he shouldn't overwork himself too much bless him.

As for Johnny though, aside from returning for the Mick/Linda wedding possibly (where Johnny could have a further announcement, maybe a transfer to a uni in Italy or something) I don't want Johnny to return (well not for the foreseeable future anyway). The Carters aren't in a great place currently imo, and Sam left at a good time. I love Johnny and I love Sam (like......a lot! :blush: ), but until the writers and DTC sort out the Carters atm then I wouldn't want Johnny back as an extra like Nancy and Lee, and probably a bit of a grump too (both on and offscreen). We just have to respect that 26th December 2013 - 10th July 2014 was the time period of Johnny where we fell in love with him (minus the odd scene with Elaine or Linda later on). I miss Johnny very much but I wouldn't wish for him to return now given the repetitive storylines the Carters are getting, along with the pointlessness of his onscreen siblings (why didn't Lee just leave for the army).

What we need is a spin-off show with Johnny and Gianluca travelling Europe, if we want to see Johnny Carter (and noting only Sam Strike could play Johnny Carter because of the impact that character had on the LGBT community and the association and fame Sam had) in cute happier times. We could see Johnny awkwardly try and learn Italian, or eating spaghetti bolognese with Gianluca, or going to Greece and sunbathing (with a vest on or just topless :blush: ), or going to Disneyland Paris and Johnny could hug Mickey Mouse, or maybe Johnny and Gianluca could play fight a little before trying some Belgian Chocolate in Bruges, or drink some beer in Germany, or go to Spain and walk around Barcelona, before napping together for a siesta, or they could go to Amsterdam and explore various landmarks (not doing anything particularly naughty there though, Johnny's a good man :p ). I know Gianluca's a bit meh and Johnny could do better, but that is what the writers/Sam.....I mean Johnny wants, so we gotta respect that. :D:p

(Or Johnny and Gianluca could or already have split up offscreen and Johnny is travelling Europe on his own - maybe he meets a new guy from somewhere in Europe)

But yeah though I love Johnny he shouldn't come back anytime soon (though if he did it has to be Sam Strike).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam tweeted about tonight's Eastenders where Stan died and said RIP Grandad and mentioned Timothy West's performance (who was as expected fantastic) . I think that is nice and feels a bit like Johnny saying his goodbye (well it is best we are going to get)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh I just noticed on Sam's Spotlight page (link on his Twitter bio) that he's appearing in a guest stint for Silent Witness later this month. Don't know if true or not, or whether he's filming or already filmed for it - but anyways something to keep an eye on.

Yeah sad scenes tonight with Stan dying, and well acted from Timothy West.

I'm guessing probably someone will phone/text/Skype Johnny and let him know of the sad news. As you say popmusicman, Sam's tweet is probably the closest we'll get to a message from Johnny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh I just noticed on Sam's Spotlight page (link on his Twitter bio) that he's appearing in a guest stint for Silent Witness later this month. Don't know if true or not, or whether he's filming or already filmed for it - but anyways something to keep an eye on.

Yeah sad scenes tonight with Stan dying, and well acted from Timothy West.

I'm guessing probably someone will phone/text/Skype Johnny and let him know of the sad news. As you say popmusicman, Sam's tweet is probably the closest we'll get to a message from Johnny.

Silent Witness finished its last series in February and will return in 2016. I assume starting in January as it did this year. Sam must be filming one of the episodes for the new series. If they follow the same format as this year each story is over two episodes.

Great to see Sam in a guest role in one of BBC's most popular drama series. Last series had about 8 million viewers which is more than Eastenders gets on average

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any of you guys live in or near Southend a local newspaper there next month will have an interview with Sam Strike. I don't live around there so sad times for me :(

But yeah if any of you do and get the magazine with the interview then let us know on here about it of course :)
  • Options
    Strawberry KickStrawberry Kick Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    If any of you guys live in or near Southend a local newspaper there next month will have an interview with Sam Strike. I don't live around there so sad times for me :(

But yeah if any of you do and get the magazine with the interview then let us know on here about it of course :)
    Looks hopeful that there will be a digital copy out too! As I'm nowhere near Essex either. Great spot there, Neu :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh I just noticed on Sam's Spotlight page (link on his Twitter bio) that he's appearing in a guest stint for Silent Witness later this month.

This confirmed.

https://twitter.com/leemorgan_mgnt/status/587987820163244032

:kitty::cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny was mentioned in tonight Eastenders. Babe asked if Johnny was attending and was told no because Mick told him not to come. He did send flowers and Babe said he was a good boy:) There was also Mick with a picture of the family and Johnny was right in the centre

Daren Little wrote the episode and pleased to see that he mentioned Johnny and the picture with Johnny in it maybe just a little reminder that he has not been completely forgotten about. I think Johnny got a sympathetic excuse for not attending compared to some of the others (Whitney missing again?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love and miss sweet Johnny but I am hugely relieved that he wasn't in this week's episodes. The Carters have become unbearable, especially in tonight's episode.

I'm starting to wonder that if Johnny returns at all it will train wreck the character :( Plus he wouldn't be necessary as Sam Strike said in that interview.

I'd rather be left missing him and wanting more than actually having him back on EastEnders. Think Sam Strike made a wise decision especially given his real-life career since - he's breaking into Hollywood, filmed one British film and currently filming for Silent Witness.

The Carters (aside from Johnny and maybe Tina) are quickly becoming a sinking ship. I hope this changes soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting comments from Danny Dyer on Sam in the DS interview.

Danny says that Sam being a shy person struggled to cope with the fame side of being in EE and suggests as some of as of us thought Sam's decision to leave so quickly was in part due to this as much as wanting to do other roles.

Danny says that Sam would be willing to return to EE for guest appearences and hopes an agreement could be done. for this to happen i the future He would be devestated if EE recast Johnny. I am pleased there is hope Sam might return maybe for a wedding a skype appearence or maybe Linda will visit Johnny at his university (could be similiar to when Denise when to see Libby at Oxford) and this could provide an opportunity for her to talk about the rape.

Despite what Danny says my feeling is that Sam won't return mainly because I don't think it works for EE certainly while Dean is around and the rape storyline is not resolved. It would be difficult to bring Johnny in and out very easily with this going on. I also wonder if EE would prefer to leave Johnny off screen out so that they keep the option of a recast open. Sam returning would make it impossible to do that.
  • Options
    idratherjackidratherjack Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I still miss my Sausage fix I now think in hindsight Sam got out at the right time. The Carters have become unbearable since Christmas and I'll always have my memory of how perfect Johnny was for that year!

Do we know when Sam starts filming The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I still miss my Sausage fix I now think in hindsight Sam got out at the right time. The Carters have become unbearable since Christmas and I'll always have my memory of how perfect Johnny was for that year!

Do we know when Sam starts filming The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie?

I agree with you completely. I love Sam/Johnny loads and miss him - but towards the last few months he was in EE he became a grump, and he's more or less confirmed that in interviews too. I'm glad that Sam's happier now, and more so that he's doing well for himself! :kitty:

I only want Johnny back for the Mick/Linda wedding, and thats it. And only Sam Strike can play Johnny. I personally also think they're putting the Mick/Linda wedding back until Sam is available, as all the Carter actors including Sam have said that they want him to be there for the Mick/Linda wedding. Plus it would be lovely and a real treat for his fans/admirers.
    But as for a full time return I don;t want Sam/Johnny to ever return. The Carters have had better days and tbh on an objective side of things I'd rather be left wanting more and missing him than him coming back and being a grump.

He's filming Leatherface atm and has been for a month or so! I think he was in Bulgaria, not sure where he's filming now. Theres a few pics on his Twitter/Instagram I think on set (or there with his fellow cast). I'm so glad he's doing so well. He deserves it. Love him. :blush::cool::kitty:
  • Options
    idratherjackidratherjack Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll have a look for some pictures! I still can't picture sweet little Sam as Leatherface but I'm a fan of the Texas Chainsaw franchise so I'm looking forward to it.

Hope he gets some other high profile jobs soon, I need him back on my screen!
  • Options
    Foxworth_CraneFoxworth_Crane Posts: 122
    Forum Member

He's filming Leatherface atm and has been for a month or so! I think he was in Bulgaria, not sure where he's filming now. Theres a few pics on his Twitter/Instagram I think on set (or there with his fellow cast). I'm so glad he's doing so well. He deserves it. Love him. :blush::cool::kitty:

As an update... According to actress Jessica Madsen, another member of the cast, filming wrapped June 18, and there were a couple of shots of the after party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case anyone is still interested in Sam a quick recap of what he has done since leaving Eastenders

Bonded by Blood - movie set for release on DVD 26 December
    Silent Witness - to be broadcast on BBC1 Jan/Feb 2016
    Leatherface - due for release 2016

Sam was in America in July and had meetings in New York and LA so maybe future roles might emerge

Returning to Eastenders but no news of the Linda/Mick wedding but looking like it might happen for Christmas and who knows maybe a surprise return from Johnny for a one off appearance. Danny Dyer said in an interview that Sam was willing make a return for a special occasion so there is hope. Filming for Christmas time in EE takes place October time so keep an eye out for any news or leaks.

Hard to believe that it won't be long before it will a year since Johnny left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OksM1PWdDCk

A youtuber by the name of Hussain's House done an interview with Sam recently (presumably before Sam went to America) in case anyone's curious.

You're welcome. :cool:;-)

Doesn't look like he's coming back to EastEnders, maybe ever. Maybe it's for the best for Johnny. Like I've said before I'd rather be left wanting more than him coming back grumpy and his character being ruined.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Been awhile since I was on here.... So it looks like sam has girlfriend 🙀 American actress aurora perrineau. noticed there has been a lot of tweets and Instagram post the latest being aurora posting a pic on Insta of painting with the caption 'we hung this on our wall yesterday @samstrike1894' so looks like they are living together. (Or I'm reading to much into this) anyway if it's true I'm happy for sam. Her dad is the actor Harold Perrineau who's been in Lost, the matrix and a lot of other things. Also Aurora has a new film coming out in October called 'Jem and the holograms' which is a movie remake of the hit 80s90s cartoon. she was also in an episode of pretty little liars. Obviously she is absolutely gorgeous, only the best for 'our Sam' ❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jhen wrote: »
    Been awhile since I was on here.... So it looks like sam has girlfriend 🙀 American actress aurora perrineau. noticed there has been a lot of tweets and Instagram post the latest being aurora posting a pic on Insta of painting with the caption 'we hung this on our wall yesterday @samstrike1894' so looks like they are living together. (Or I'm reading to much into this) anyway if it's true I'm happy for sam. Her dad is the actor Harold Perrineau who's been in Lost, the matrix and a lot of other things. Also Aurora has a new film coming out in October called 'Jem and the holograms' which is a movie remake of the hit 80s90s cartoon. she was also in an episode of pretty little liars. Obviously she is absolutely gorgeous, only the best for 'our Sam' ❤️❤️❤️❤️

I was on the thinking that they were just good friends. And it was "We hung this on the wall yesterday". But sure, like Dani Dyer and Maddy Hill, people are gonna think Sam has a girlfriend when he has good friends who happen to be girls.

Maybe they are living together whilst Sam is out in the States. Just because they are living together for however long doesn't mean they are necessarily dating. It would seem also that they have been good friends since long before Sam was on EastEnders. I was under the impression it was another brother/sister like relationship.

If its true then I'm happy for Sam, he does deserve the best. But I think you're reading way too much into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All gone quiet with Sam recently with no news of any new roles. He was in Canada last week but maybe on holiday

Bonded by Blood 2 is out on 26 December on DVD and would imagine some previews will be out soon and maybe Sam might do some promo. I am not sure if I want to see Sam in a violet gangster movie but I suspect I will end up having a look.

Looks like Linda and Mick are getting married in 2016 wonder what they do about Johnny. Also is it about time they referenced where Johnny is as he cannot still be touring Italy with Luca:D I guess he will be mentioned at Christmas.