Anybody got Android L (OTA) on their pre 2014 Nexus device yet ?

Comments

• tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    Then with the info from above, you should find a match of the software with the device.

Not sure how you picked the right image from your link though.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Go to https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
    Then with the info from above, you should find a match of the software with the device.

Not sure how you picked the right image from your link though.

I applied common sense. It's not let me down yet. :)
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, looking at your link, it's the same list that I picked my image from - Nakasi WiFi 4.4.4.

Well, it didn't take long. A message this morning to say it's downloaded Lollopop. No thank you Google - I don't want it.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that's what, 15 days since I downgraded and my Nexus 7 2012 is still running beautifully. Keeping its charge, waking up from sleep quickly, keeping internet connection and running all my apps.

Best decision I ever made.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    So that's what, 15 days since I downgraded and my Nexus 7 2012 is still running beautifully. Keeping its charge, waking up from sleep quickly, keeping internet connection and running all my apps.

It must surely be clear to Google now, that they really dropped a major bollock with Lollipop.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting link from USA today
    Something has gone seriously wrong with this branch of the Nexus line of Android devices. Instead of showing Google's mobile operating system at its best, a non-trivial number of 2013-model-year Nexus 7 tablets (as well as some 2012 versions) have been "bricked" after a toxic interaction with a software update.

The symptoms, as recounted on Google's customer-support forum, on Twitter under the hashtag #Nexus7Bricked, on reddit, and in reports at sites like 9 to 5 Google, Android Police and Android Authority, involve the tablet getting stuck at the Google logo either in its first reboot after installing Google's Android Lollipop release or days or weeks post-update.

Users report that the usual software troubleshooting, booting the device into Android's "recovery mode" and performing a complete reset from there, doesn't work. The only option is to replace the tablet's motherboard.

That's bad enough. But Asus, the manufacturer of both Nexus 7 tablets, is treating this as an out-of-warranty repair and quoting owners estimates of $200 or more for a fix – almost as much as the 2013 Nexus 7's $229 starting price.

Google is apparently replacing some of these bricked Nexus 7 devices at no cost if they were originally bought from its own Play Store. But it's yet to post a confirmation of this policy, and not all eligible owners seem to be able to claim this offer.

A Google spokeswoman declined to comment, while a query to Asus's PR department sent Thursday went unanswered.

All of this is so far from what we thought we were getting when Google introduced the Nexus 7 in July of 2013 – with a sharper screen and lower price than that summer's iPad mini – and what reviewers such as USA TODAY's Ed Baig observed after trying out this tablet firsthand.

Instead of representing "the best of Google," to quote the company's blog post at the time, the Nexus 7 is showing the company at its worst: buggy software and an inability to speak clearly to its customers.

(I might as well note here that my own experience with the Lollipop update was not all sweet: Like other Nexus 4 users, I found that Lollipop would leave me mute on phone calls. The problem seems to have gone away with Android 5.1, but shouldn't this be the sort of bug that basic quality-assurance testing catches before an update ships?)

If you have a Nexus 7 and have not yet installed Lollipop, the only advice I can give you is to avoid that update as if it were a swarm of bees.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »

Same here. It's amazing that this so-called dodgy memory and incapable hardware of the N7 only appears on Lollipop and that the tablet runs beautifully with 4.4 ;-)
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My nexus 7 is running fine with 5.1.1 since I wiped it and reinstalled everything.

Not had any battery drain or memory problems.

I only really use it for Family Guy Quest for Stuff. Playing videos using MX Player, reading Ebooks and surfing the net using Firefox or Chrome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    My nexus 7 is running fine with 5.1.1 since I wiped it and reinstalled everything.

Not had any battery drain or memory problems.

I only really use it for Family Guy Quest for Stuff. Playing videos using MX Player, reading Ebooks and surfing the net using Firefox or Chrome.

Same here. Mine's been pretty great since the new 5.1.1. Not bad for a tiny 9.8Mb update. Anyone else finding things mostly fine on 5.1.1 with the 2012 Nexus 7, or is it still a sea of shit for most?
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it would be fine if you "only" use it as a glorified DVD player or Kindle. It's capable of so much more than that.
    Forum Member
    Well you've got to tell us now what you're using yours for!

For me, it's a great games machine, especially for emulation. And of course the usual browsing, news, etc.

Still going strong on 5.1.1 here btw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Same here. Mine's been pretty great since the new 5.1.1. Not bad for a tiny 9.8Mb update. Anyone else finding things mostly fine on 5.1.1 with the 2012 Nexus 7, or is it still a sea of shit for most?
    I have to reboot mine each week, as it seizes up, usually on 'chrome isn't responding', so I am wondering whether to revert.
    Forum Member
    I have to reboot mine each week, as it seizes up, usually on 'chrome isn't responding', so I am wondering whether to revert.

Well I always power mine off when I'm not using it anyway, just as I do with the PC. Don't see the point in it wasting energy if I'm not using it.
    Forum Member
    Nexus 4 updated with 5.1.1 today. Now this phone has been suffering the well documented "Sleep of Death" issue for some months now for me. And it winds me up. I'm really hoping this update puts it right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kal_El wrote: »
    Well I always power mine off when I'm not using it anyway, just as I do with the PC. Don't see the point in it wasting energy if I'm not using it.

Not the same as a pc which draws power from the grid.
    You have to factor in the amount of battery usage when in sleep versus natural battery discharge and power required to power off and boot up. I don't think it is as simple as you suggest.

Phone has just updated to 5.1.1, but not had an issue before.
    Forum Member
    Not the same as a pc which draws power from the grid.
    You have to factor in the amount of battery usage when in sleep versus natural battery discharge and power required to power off and boot up. I don't think it is as simple as you suggest.

Phone has just updated to 5.1.1, but not had an issue before.

Can I just ask you, do you use a case on your Nexus 4? If so, which type? I've suffered with the SoD on the Nexus 4 since getting the phone off the other half in March I think it was. We've had two iterations of Lollipop since and the problem has persisted.

As expected, upgrade to 5.1.1 didn't seem to solve the issue. However, I decided to change the case I use to a different type; from a fairly heavy leather effect case with a plastic moulded insert to a genuine leather but very slim type skin. I have not had the problem thus far, which is seriously leading me to believe it could be the old case.

I noticed on the old case it was very tricky to reach both the power button and the volume controls as both seem to be buried close to the plastic outlet, and I am wondering now whether they were actually too close and causing the buttons to be pressed, leading to the "Sleep of Death" problem.

The only other issue I had with the phone was it would not wake the screen during a call if I moved the phone away from my face. This was all over the internet as a software fault, but actually I remedied this easily by cutting around the screen cover, as it was covering the motion sensor that the phone used to enable the wake. I couldn't believe it worked, but it certainly did.

Anyway, long post. Sorry. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds a bit like your old one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6X3Z30
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit like your old one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A6X3Z30

It does a bit but looking at that image it seems the buttons are clearer and easier to access than mine were. I had to really get my thumb in to be able to press it, which is no good at all.

Not a single SoD in two days so far since switching cases. I just wonder how many are using cheap cases like I was and blaming the software for the issue. Of course I'll continue to keep an eye on it and post up as I know a lot of people have had this problem. But I would say that I'd usually have had at least one by now.
    Forum Member
    Yup, nearly three weeks since removing the case on the Nexus 4, and not a single sniff of the SoD issue. The phone has been perfect. For me then it's clear - the case was the cause. I'm only posting as I know many have found this to be a common problem and are quick to blame Android as I did initially. Hopefully other people will read this and try removing the case to see if it fixes it. Hope it helps. :-)

FYI - my case is this one, but I suspect many cheap cases are much the same. I know the clear backed one that my missus had on it before she gave the phone to me was the same, and she got the issue too.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just received a brand new notification today on my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013) for an update to Android 5.1.1 which i already have.

Must be a fixing bugs/performance improvement update - 18.0MB.

Anyone else got this?
  • Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Just received a brand new notification today on my Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013) for an update to Android 5.1.1 which i already have.

Must be a fixing bugs/performance improvement update - 18.0MB.

Anyone else got this?

Yes, I put it on my N7 yesterday. It takes it from LMY47V to LMY48G. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a Change Log from Google or anyone else for it yet, so I'm not sure what it is supposed to fix/improve, but it hasn't had any adverse effect.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mick Jones wrote: »
    Yes, I put it on my N7 yesterday. It takes it from LMY47V to LMY48G. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a Change Log from Google or anyone else for it yet, so I'm not sure what it is supposed to fix/improve, but it hasn't had any adverse effect.

That's good to know, thanks.

Do you think Nexus 7 2013 will receive Android M at all?
  • Mick JonesMick Jones Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    That's good to know, thanks.

Do you think Nexus 7 2013 will receive Android M at all?

I would expect it to. If any Nexus 7 misses out it is much more likely to be the 2012 model.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect the N7 2012 will get it, as I am sure Google are well up for the challenge of seeing if they can make it even slower than just about every update has done to it since it was first released!
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I expect the N7 2012 will get it, as I am sure Google are well up for the challenge of seeing if they can make it even slower than just about every update has done to it since it was first released!

That would be quite an achievement. My 2012 N7 is now virtually unusable due to being so slow.