Do you remember the killer Diane Downs?

Comments

• Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you do, then you might be interested. Recently I was you tube watching a documentary about her. And I commented, saying that she was liar.

And I Got all this shite from her brother. He is convinced she is Innocent.

what do you think?

He and his father have been trying to get her out of jail for years now.
    Do you think it really is her brother? Experience of YouTube tells me it's far more likely to just be a random troll who's enjoying pulling your chain. :o
  • GiovanGiovan Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's her parole hearing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsV1u25eXR4

Personally, I think she is guilty but I must say that I think it is terribly unfair that a prisoner is not allowed to maintain their innocence. If you maintain your innocence then you don't get paroled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching that video, Downs raises a very good point...

If the prosecutors claim she wanted the children dead then why wouldn't she make sure they were dead before turning up at a hospital?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In America does life mean for life? If so what on earth is the point in life +50 years?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else immediately think "swarthy abductor" when they read about the bushy haired stranger...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I remember the film. Was she the one who was pregnant at her arrest? I believe that her true judgement day will come just like the rest of us.
    I do remember the story of a father who took his three young daughters out in his car and killed two of them thinking he had also killed the third.
    That poor girl woke up to find her sisters dead where he had dumped them all.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can highly recomenf the book 'Small Sacrifices' by Ann Rule. Infact All mof Ann rules books on real lie murder are very interesting.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think it really is her brother? Experience of YouTube tells me it's far more likely to just be a random troll who's enjoying pulling your chain. :o

he never told me he was her brother. I worked it out, by basically looking for other comments he had made. and also checking out the website he directed me to. it is run by Diane's father and brother who have been on a crusade to get her out for years.

His name is James F

pretty sure he is the real deal. I am usually skeptical about people saying that they are related to a killer or famous person. but I have the feeling that it is him.

I asked him and he just said that yes he was.

but before he was just trying to convince me of her innocence. And he is doing that on all youtube videos involving the case. He just says things like, "Did you know that Diane never fired a gun. and it was proved. by police," or "The two Downs children were removed from all of their family ten days after the crime.have you ever heard of the prosecution adopting the children of the person they are prosecuting?"

I am now pretty much fed up with him. but he's actually really polite, but what he says does not prove her innocence at all. he is very deluded. all it does is plant doubt in a person's mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giovan wrote: »
    Watching that video, Downs raises a very good point...

If the prosecutors claim she wanted the children dead then why wouldn't she make sure they were dead before turning up at a hospital?

That is a good question. perhaps she thought that they were dead. perhaps she screwed the whole thing up and panicked. maybe a car came along and she had no choice but to start driving to the hospital.

she possibly had a plan in her mind and it didn't quite go accordingly.

there were reports of her driving to the hospital slowly.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else immediately think "swarthy abductor" when they read about the bushy haired stranger...

If I understood you correctly, you know that in almost all cases in which a surviving victim or witness, who claimed that a non-white (usually black) stranger did it, turned out to be the murderer and that the non-white stranger usually never existed, right? Famous examples: Susan Smith, Amanda Knox (ah, sorry; *coughs* but she did accuse an innocent black man of murdering her friend), Brian Douglas Wells, Charles Stuart, Robert Harris, etc. Diane Downs is no exception.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    If I understood you correctly, you know that in almost all cases in which a surviving victim or witness, who claimed that a non-white (usually black) stranger did it, turned out to be the murderer and that the non-white stranger usually never existed, right? Famous examples: Susan Smith, Amanda Knox (ah, sorry; *coughs* but she did accuse an innocent black man of murdering her friend), Brian Douglas Wells, Charles Stuart, Robert Harris, etc. Diane Downs is no exception.

I thought they were alluding to a case that we dare not mention with a missing child........
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were alluding to a case that we dare not mention with a missing child........

Oh, right. Sorry.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In America does life mean for life? If so what on earth is the point in life +50 years?

Symbolic really, to say it's worse than just one murder, which might get just natural life alone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a good question. perhaps she thought that they were dead. perhaps she screwed the whole thing up and panicked. maybe a car came along and she had no choice but to start driving to the hospital.

she possibly had a plan in her mind and it didn't quite go accordingly.

there were reports of her driving to the hospital slowly.

But she had a gun. She could have shot them several times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she had a gun. She could have shot them several times.

but she had to do it so that no one would see her acting weird, perhaps a car was coming. or she had shot herself by this point and had to get rid of the gun quickly. she had to clean up a bit. also why was there a towel in the car? strange thing to bring along unless you are going swimming.

just because she didn't do it right, doesn't mean she didn't do it.

she could of been making it look more plausible. maybe she made it look like it was a rushed job.

it was a miracle the kids survived, they were near death on arrival.
  • cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but she had to do it so that no one would see her acting weird, perhaps a car was coming. or she had shot herself by this point and had to get rid of the gun quickly. she had to clean up a bit. also why was there a towel in the car? strange thing to bring along unless you are going swimming.

just because she didn't do it right, doesn't mean she didn't do it.

she could of been making it look more plausible. maybe she made it look like it was a rushed job.

it was a miracle the kids survived, they were near death on arrival.

The towel was an interesting piece of evidence, when the blood pattern on it was examined it was shown that it had been neatly folded into a triangle so she could lay her arm on it, shoot herself, then gather up the ends to form a bandage before driving to the hospital, if some stranger had shot you and your children, even if you had the presence of mind to take care of your own wound, would you not just wrap it round your arm roughly to stem the blood flow?

also the gun was never found, however bullets with identical markings to the ones fired at the children were found in her home
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Just saw some news reports on YouTube. The woman is guilty as sin. What kind of mother does a re-enactment of what happened 4 days after the shooting? And she treated it like it was a big joke or some kind of audition.

She was so cold at that press conference & sounded like she was reading her shopping list out loud.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do you believe she did it?

Yes, I do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still talking to her brother. he still hasn't given me any real information.

poor guy I feel really sorry for him.
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I assumed it was very famous and most people would Know.

Diane Downs was convicted of shooting her three children in 1983. America. no idea of the state. They were in her car at the time of the shooting. driving around at night.

She claimed that a bushy haired stranger shot her and her kids on the night in question. apparently she changed her story many times.

Her 7 year old daughter Cheryl was killed instantly.

her 8 year old daughter Christie suffered a stroke after she was shot and could not speak for months.

her 4 year old son Danny is in a wheelchair for life after the shooting.

The surviving children were adopted by the lawyer for the prosecution.

Diane Downs claims she is innocent to this day.,

I got a whole load of messages from her brother. claiming that she was framed. that it was proved that she had never fired a gun.

8 year Christie testified against her mother. she identified her mum as the shooter.

The police were suspicious of downs straight away. The motive was that she had attempted to kill her children because her lover had dumped her because he didn't want kids.

Watched the film (Farrah Fawcett) a good while back. If the film is to be believed then she deserves her sentence. I have the book but haven't got round to reading it yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    I can highly recomenf the book 'Small Sacrifices' by Ann Rule. Infact All mof Ann rules books on real lie murder are very interesting.

I'm a fan (if you can call reading about real life atrocities a good thing), Gregg Olsen is pretty good also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    The towel was an interesting piece of evidence, when the blood pattern on it was examined it was shown that it had been neatly folded into a triangle so she could lay her arm on it, shoot herself, then gather up the ends to form a bandage before driving to the hospital, if some stranger had shot you and your children, even if you had the presence of mind to take care of your own wound, would you not just wrap it round your arm roughly to stem the blood flow?

also the gun was never found, however bullets with identical markings to the ones fired at the children were found in her home

The towel stuck in my mind also.
  • spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just watched 'Small Sacrifices' and looked her up. I was not 100% sure she had done it.
    This bloke, http://www.salem-news.com/articles/august172012/diane-downs-1-tk.php seems to think she got a rough deal.

Perhaps they just didn't like her and she didn't have the money for a top lawyer?
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the book and seen the film with Farrah Fawcett. There have been other high-profile cases where a mother has harmed her own children. Susan Smith is one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Smith

"On October 25, 1994, Smith reported to police that she had been carjacked by a black man who drove away with her sons still in the car. For nine days, she made dramatic pleas on national television for the rescue and return of her children. However, following an intensive investigation and a nationwide search, on November 3, 1994, Smith confessed to letting her 1990 Mazda Protegé roll into nearby John D. Long Lake, drowning her children inside."
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well no.

But I feel pretty bad. I gave this guy a load of shit about his sister. okay I think she is a raving lunatic who killed her child, and tried to kill the other 2. But am i Being too judgmental. I don't believe that the police would set her up. Also her story doesn't add up. she seems happy enough on all her interviews after her kids were supposedly shot by a stranger.her daughter was murdered and she was laughing her ass off on tv.

I think you need to get out more - seriously.