think I've been dumped but he forgot to tell me

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been dating someone for several months now. I wasn't sure about him for at least a couple weeks, but he persevered and I really fell for him. We both had long holidays already planned, which wasn't great, but we were in touch nearly every day regardless and fortunately they overlapped so we were both away at the same time. He got back on Sunday nine days ago and I went to meet him at the station as he arrived, we then spent the rest of the day together.

Everything seemed fine, and we were very affectionate with each other, as we usually have been. As we left, he said he'd text me and we'd meet up again later in the week. I have not heard from him since, and it's been nine days! I text him twice and also tried to ring him once but he didn't pick up. This past Sunday I had a look at his profile on the website we met on and he has updated some of the wording, so I know he's still alive and well. Based on the pattern we established, although he (nor I) always respond to texts straight away, to have it go this long with no contact is out of the ordinary. So I can only conclude he's moved on without telling me.

I'm obviously hurt and also furious. I think it is the cruelest thing you can do to someone to leave them hanging and it's very hard not to take it personally, even though I know it's obviously an issue he has and not me. I am finding it hard not to email him and tell him off, but have so far resisted the temptation. I will do it eventually, but I want to wait for the anger to subside a bit first, otherwise I will regret it later, nevermind coming across as the one who acted like an ar*e and giving him a grand excuse as to why he ended things with me, when it's not truly what happened. I am really perplexed, he told his family and friends about me and everything, as did I, which I don't usually do unless I think there's something there. So I feel humiliated on top of rejection, and this has really blown my self confidence.

Does anyone have any advice? I need some reassurance and guidance on how to handle this as I'm feeling so awful right now!

Comments

• Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw Handers, not a nice situation to be in. Totally agree with you that it's best not to contact him whilst you're feeling so upset. Keep yourself busy, and you may feel differently before too long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I begin by saying the guy is a total cowardly bell end? Right, now that we have that out of the way, as mentioned above, best thing is to keep busy, avoid looking at his profile as that will only upset/hurt you further and plan to do some fun things with friends and family. Treat yourself, you deserve it!! If he does get back in touch, no matter how upset you are or how much you miss him, ignore him. There is no good reason on this earth why he has ignored you in such a disrespectful way. He does not deserve your time or even acknowledgement. And, then sit back and rest assured that karma is a bitch and will get him when he least expects.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a b******!

Don't hang around - you deserve an explanation and the sooner the better.

Forget about texts, emails phone calls. Just go round and knock on his door and tell him if he's not going to talk to you then that's it - over.

He's showing no respect for you or your relationship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    I've had this happen to me when a girl I was seeing just suddenly cut contact for no reason at all. I kept making excuses for her as to why she might not have been able to get in touch. I was genuinely worried in case something had happened to her, but then I saw she'd been online so I knew she was ok. Unfortunately there was distance involved so I wasn't in a position to just go and knock on her door and ask what was going on.

It is horrible when you have feelings for someone and they treat you so badly. As much as it hurt me, I got rid of all her contact details and did my best to keep myself busy with other things. Cliche alert - But life is too short to be wasting energy on people who obviously couldn't care less about you. Try and put your energy into something positive.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That must be absolutely horrible Handers, I really feel for you. As you said in your post, you can't take it personally and it is his problem not yours.

I'd advise to spend as much time with friends and family as possible and if you have someone in your life you can talk to about it do so. A problem shared is definitely a problem halved. The worse thing you can do is keep it to yourself.

We're all different but if that was me I would be round their house by the 3rd day ;) If you're dating someone and keeping in contact every day then to not reply at all for that length of time is ridiculous.
  • PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumping you in a cowardly way shows what sort of person he really is but he has done you a favour. Do you really want a shallow person like this in your life? Don't contact him even if it is driving you mad to know why. Let it go, he is not worth it. If he ever gets in touch, make out you hadn't even noticed he'd not been around. Don't waste anymore time on this coward. Good luck.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is the worst way someone can "end it" with you. It seems to happen to me all the time. Everything is perfectly fine, they are all over you, chatty, happy and then next minute they ignore you and, in my case, blank you when they walk past you.

Why can't men (in my case it's always men but I know women must do it too) just be upfront and say, "I've lost interest" - it'd hurt initially and then you'd get over it instead of always wondering what you did wrong...

Sorry Handers, it's happened to me recently too so you're not alone, if that's any consolation. :(
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories like this just confirm my suspicion that men are smelly and useless ;)

Sorry to hear this has happened to you Handers. "Men" like that are only out for themselves and certainly don't deserve to be with decent people. This certainly isn't your fault that he's an asshole so I certainly hope you can move past it and find a decent fella who isn't useless and smelly ..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, why should the behaviour of someone else affect your self-confidence? Surely it's more a reflection on them than it is of you?

In any case - even if this person has decided not to persue a relationship with you; the way they've gone about enacting that descision is juvenile, cowardly, and lacks any kind of integrity or consideration. This is not the kind of person any sane person would want to be In a relationship with.

Accept that however inelegant, he's actually afforded you a very lucky escape. Change your number & never look back. You can do much much better.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew someone whose marriage ended with absolutely no explanation or contact. She suffered a lot for a very long time. Such a cruel way, and such a cruel person.

This is an extremely hurtful situation, but you know he isn't worth knowing and you have had a lucky escape. I hope you gradually find your equilibrium and find someone decent who has a caring personality, treats you with respect and doesn't act like a complete *nob.
  • Sarg3005Sarg3005 Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    I have a mate that you can date :)

Really nice lad that lacks confidence!
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know why people do this, it's a horrible way to treat someone you supposedly carried for. I would give him on last opportunity if you feel you need to to close the whole thing off and then delete his number email etc. Tbh, if he can treat you like this then he's not the man for you, you deserve better. So personally I would do it now and change your settings so you cant look at his profile when you get a bit down.

I'm just wondering (as it sounds very similar to an experience I had a few years ago) if he's one of these guys that enjoy the thrill of the chase and then it when it becomes a proper"relationship" they lose interest. When I eventually met up with him and asked him for an explanation he didn't see the problem and said he thought if he stalled long enough I'd get bored. The cowardly little sh*t was waiting on me doing the job for him.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    I dont know why people do this, it's a horrible way to treat someone you supposedly carried for. I would give him on last opportunity and then delete his number email etc. Tbh, if he can treat you like this then he's not the man for you, you deserve better.

I'm just wondering (as it sounds very similar to an experience I had a few years ago) if he's one of these guys that enjoy the thrill of the chase and then it when it becomes a proper"relationship" they lose interest.

Pure speculation, but maybe he decided whilst on holiday that, for whatever reason, he didn't want to be in a relationship anymore. But when Handers met him at the train station he was too much of a coward to tell her so just played along. After that he decided that it was easier for him to just not respond to her text/calls and that she would eventually get the message.

Scummy thing to do but not unusual.
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pure speculation, but maybe he decided whilst on holiday that, for whatever reason, he didn't want to be in a relationship anymore. But when Handers met him at the train station he was too much of a coward to tell her so just played along. After that he decided that it was easier for him to just not respond to her text/calls and that she would eventually get the message.

Scummy thing to do but not unusual.

It's is scummy and I guess no one knows what's going on in his mind. He maybe didn't even see the relationship the way she saw it and didn't think there was an obligation to get back to her. I had thought about the thrill of the chase possibility because of something that happened to me and it all panned out very similarly' This rang a bell for me " I wasn't sure about him for at least a couple weeks, but he persevered"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I think in his mind you were just casually dating, no exclusivity etc. It's easier for some people to dodge responsibility than be upfront.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Delete all traces of him. I wouldn't contact him at all now, or in the future, if I were you. Why? Because he just doesn't care, so I would be doing my damndest to show I didn't either. I've experienced those persistent ones who start off pursuing you like crazy then 3 months later disappear in a puff of smoke after the initial thrill has gone.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theres plenty more fish in the sea
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    theres plenty more fish in the sea

Best advice ever.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Delete all traces of him. I wouldn't contact him at all now, or in the future, if I were you. Why? Because he just doesn't care, so I would be doing my damndest to show I didn't either. I've experienced those persistent ones who start off pursuing you like crazy then 3 months later disappear in a puff of smoke after the initial thrill has gone.

Agree. Completely ignore him: don't give him the satisfaction of chasing after him for answers.

I can guarantee he will resurface after a while when he starts wondering why you're not chasing him. At that point, carry on ignoring him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers, that really, really sucks. I'm with Chilli Dragon on this one, having been over this situation countless times in the past year. Why on earth do so many men (and I can only assume women too) consider this acceptable? Even if I go on a date with a guy once only and I don't like him, I give him the "thanks but no thanks" line rather than keep him hanging. It's basic manners.

Yes, us logical & straightforward people seek answers and why's, but it'll get you nowhere. You're better off rid of the likes of a communication retard (sorry if that word causes offence but I think it's more applicable to people like him than those it's usually unfairly applied to). I really liked a chap I was seeing for 2 months earlier this year, on our first date he said that he was upfront, straightforward and wouldn't disappear on a girl and guess what he did after his hol 2 months later? Disappeared! In fact my story was the same as yours only I didn't meet him at the train station.

To quote that awful old line - it really is not you, it's them! Why on earth is this so common these days?

Even though I use it, I can't help but blame internet dating in many ways. It turns their bloody heads too easily. Anyone reading this - no matter how cowardly, indirect you are, I'm telling you now - "I don't really think this is going anywhere and I don't want to see you again, sorry" is sooooooooo much better to hear than going AWOL.

Cowards!! We need to stamp this out! Hopefully karma will wreak her bitchiness on him.

Excuse the reaction but it's all too common lately and I for one am utterly sick of that carryon!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do sympathise OP!

I am long settled now but my highlight of being dumped was when my boyfriend at the time moved back to Scotland without telling me!

'Tis sadly true!!

We were only young, he'd moved to London after we'd had a holiday romance / long distance relationship and as far as I knew we were in "love". We were just about to book a holiday. Imagine my shock when he called me and told me he was on the train back home and I could go round to the place he'd been flat-sharing to pick up my stuff :eek: :eek: :eek:

Even though that was over a decade ago I still don't think I'll get over the shock of that one! I mean the damn cheek of it.

It was the harshest break up I have ever had and I was so shocked I didn't bombard him with calls / messages - in-fact I let him get off lightly.

All I can say is that I've made it my mission not to string people along since this happened to me.

Sadly some people will always take the easy way out and cowards are far too common.

It wasn't your fault, so please don't let this affect you too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rainbowgirl :O that's horrendous!

My friend's sister moved from Dublin to London to be with her man, 2 months after they bought a flat he took her out to dinner - on her BIRTHDAY - and over the menu cards he suddenly announced he didn't love her anymore and could she please move out next week! No preceding rows, nothing. Horrid!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rainbowgirl :O that's horrendous!

My friend's sister moved from Dublin to London to be with her man, 2 months after they bought a flat he took her out to dinner - on her BIRTHDAY - and over the menu cards he suddenly announced he didn't love her anymore and could she please move out next week! No preceding rows, nothing. Horrid!

'Twas pretty horrible!

At least I wasn't the one who had moved though, and at least he did ring me. Imagine I had turned up at his place to be told he'd moved out???? :eek:
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Women do it too, definitely. I speak from experience. Its awful and cowardly but over time you will realise youre better off without them and ultimately you will get on with your life and meet someone who will treat you with a bit of respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was the harshest break up I have ever had and I was so shocked I didn't bombard him with calls / messages - in-fact I let him get off lightly.

All I can say is that I've made it my mission not to string people along since this happened to me.

Very good point also - as tempting as it is to contact him, find out why and not let him away with that cr@p, don't. I know it seems like you're letting him off lightly but karma will slap him on the arse eventually. And if he's that fickle and shallow he'll never settle down. Or if he does, it'll be with some bimbo or doormat :D