Options

Are you sticking with the PS3?

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gamestop have said today that PS3 (and Xbox 360) games have seen a 'greater than expected' sales decline as the new consoles launched. Let's look at last week's UK charts.....

The overall best selling game in the UK last week was FIFA on PS4.

The best selling version of Battlefield 4 is on PS4.

PS4 Assasin's Creed VI outsold the PS3 version.

PS4 COD:Ghosts outsold the PS3 version.

PS4 Need For Speed outsold the PS3 version.

The new generation is here, it's happening, and it's already leaving the past behind. When publishers look at the sales figures they are going to be targeting the new consoles first. I think people clinging onto their old consoles are going to see new software dry up faster than they are anticipating.

Not important to everyone, some people will just carry on buying older games. i am pretty sure there are plenty out there that most people have not even touched.

why is it that some people think that we all should buy something new and get rid of our old stuff?
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not important to everyone, some people will just carry on buying older games. i am pretty sure there are plenty out there that most people have not even touched.

why is it that some people think that we all should buy something new and get rid of our old stuff?

You are allowed to keep your PS3 when you buy a PS4 you know, no need to get rid of anything.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new generation is here, it's happening, and it's already leaving the past behind. When publishers look at the sales figures they are going to be targeting the new consoles first. I think people clinging onto their old consoles are going to see new software dry up faster than they are anticipating.

I am pretty certain Fifa will arrive on 360 and PS3 again this year. We will possible even see a NFS and COD game, albeit maybe altered versions if developers really gear up the next gen versions.

By Christmas I would expect a fair few PS4/XB1 'exclusives' but I think we will still see a reasonable showing for PS3/360 as well. But I think that will be the end of the road for those systems.

Still that doesn't bother me. As I said on the last page I am not buying cross-gen games on PS3. I will work my way through the back catalogue of PS3 games I still want to play while I wait for the PS4 features I want to turn up and a must play game to arrive. I have only just played Last of Us so I do not have that need to play something the minute its released.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I am pretty certain Fifa will arrive on 360 and PS3 again this year.
    I'd be shocked if there isn't a PS2 version...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked when I see fifa 14 on PS2 listed on amazon shows how successful the Ps2 was as a console. I would put it up there on my top 5 consoles of all time.
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it comes down to 2 things

- there are no games on PS4 that I'm interested in at the moment
    - I've got more games to play on PS3 and Vita than I've got time for, thanks to GTA5, GT6 and PS+

So for now I'm sticking with the PS3. I've got no doubt I'll get a 4 at some point, when there are at least a couple of games I want.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Would it really be that much work to switch the HDMI from the PS3 to 4 or back depending on what you want to play

I mean i've been doing it since i got a PS4, it literally took seconds

Er, that's not what I said.

I said I didn't have enough space for them both in my room. Not that I could fit them both in but only wanted to use one HDMI cable :confused:
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

I said I didn't have enough space for them both in my room. Not that I could fit them both in but only wanted to use one HDMI cable :confused:

It's not very big, I'm sure you could find a space for it (vertical or horizontal) somewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »

I'm not sure of your living conditions and i won't claim to be

but this whole i can't fit two consoles next to each other as a reason not to buy a new one has never sat well with me

As i said on here before (maybe not in this thread though) i have a TV, SKY+ HD box, A PS2, PS4 and an Xbox original all on a small cabinet and a PS3 and a stack on games on another small cabinet next to it

I just find it hard to believe whatever sized room someone is in, there wouldn't be room for a PS3 and PS4 they take up so little room
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

but this whole i can't fit two consoles next to each other as a reason not to buy a new one has never sat well with me

As i said on here before (maybe not in this thread though) i have a TV, SKY+ HD box, A PS2, PS4 and an Xbox original all on a small cabinet and a PS3 and a stack on games on another small cabinet next to it

I just find it hard to believe whatever sized room someone is in, there wouldn't be room for a PS3 and PS4 they take up so little room

I think the problem comes when you are trying to cram all this into what you perceive to be a nice looking main room. I remember when I was a kid my parents didn't really care that two consoles were attached to our TV. The cables got bunched up and the systems were pushed out of the way next to the TV unit we had at the time. But a friends parents always insisted that his system got packed away because they didn't like the look of it on the floor next to the TV stand.

In my parents main room the TV is on a shelf which is part of the wall from the fireplace. With a big 40" TV you can get a STB and the Xbox before they have to start stacking equipment. It then depends on the design of the equipment how well they stack and how good that looks. There is no way they could have all the equipments you have in that space in a way the perceive to look nice.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have the phat PS3, a PlayTV box, an indoor aerial, a lamp and a 26" TV all on a relatively small desk. It physically can't fit anything else on it and the space beneath it firstly isn't designed for consoles/electronics, and secondly is already packed with other things.

I just find it hard to believe that some people think everybody should have a dedicated TV unit which can hold 5 or 6 different electronic devices because that's what they have :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i agree with the guy who said he cant have two consoles sitting side by side. I'm the same, my living room just isnt big enough. having one console sits nice between my tv and unit and my sound bar, bass speaker is next to it. the PS3 is good enough for me, i dont really care about graphics or 60 FPS, 30 is perfectly fine imo. there are still TONS of great games on PS3 i havent even played yet including Dark Souls and these games take tons of hours to beat.

Maybe one day i'll get a PS4 once its cheaper and hopefully it will be backwards compatible. The PS4 is cool but I wouldnt sacrifice my PS3 and all my games to get one.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Bryan_Mac wrote: »
    i agree with the guy who said he cant have two consoles sitting side by side. I'm the same, my living room just isnt big enough. having one console sits nice between my tv and unit and my sound bar, bass speaker is next to it. the PS3 is good enough for me, i dont really care about graphics or 60 FPS, 30 is perfectly fine imo. there are still TONS of great games on PS3 i havent even played yet including Dark Souls and these games take tons of hours to beat.

Maybe one day i'll get a PS4 once its cheaper and hopefully it will be backwards compatible. The PS4 is cool but I wouldnt sacrifice my PS3 and all my games to get one.

Backwards comparability never ever EVER ever going to happen. Get that idea out of your head or you'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Ill prob wait for the ps4 slim with pos a 4k bluray drive built in

So far the ps3 has everything I need -
    sky go, .mp4 support, bluray remote v2 support, server support - can wirelessly transfer files from my mac to ps3, bluray and DVD support.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    It's not an all singing, all dancing new games console unless Sony says it can be OK.

Sony are control freaks and you can see plenty of evidence of that in the way that the PS4 is designed and is allowed to operate.

I see this thread I created has come back, I could probably get away with adding more consoles in terms of space and perhaps if a Final Fantasy game is good I might get a PS4, but it's hard to understand why more people aren't miffed like I am that the PS4 simply isn't as awesome as the PS3 was, the last post explains perfectly why, it really puts the multi in multimedia device doing most things you could want in terms of home entertainment, it plays Netflix and pretty much all of the catch up channels from our main broadcasters including Sky Go now as well (though got to pay extra grr), a wide variety of video files (though admittedly fussy and I now find it easier with a PC hooked up using VLC), it plays video files over your home network from your PC meaning you don't actually need a stack of drives USB's into the front, it's already a top quality DVD and Blu-Ray player, if you got the first 2007 60 GB model like me you don't need a PS2 hooked up as well and it does away with memory cards for PS2 games and you can back up and download game saves, it's great for photos and MP3 playback too.

So where is the PS4 at now? it's got most of the catch up channels, it's still a very good DVD and Blu-Ray player, MP3 playback has now been finally added. Video file playback? er no, Sony would rather you use official DVDs and Blu-Rays and it was too easy to play torrented files on the PS3, so the ultra convenience is probably not going to make a return on the PS4. PS1, PS2 & PS3 games? No sorry says Sony, we've got this convoluted PS Now streaming thing, oh and your Playstation Store downloads of those games ain't gonna carry over, you'll just have to pay even more money and subscribe if you want to enjoy those on your PS4 too. Photos?, well so far you can only stick a USB drive in for music, correct me if I'm wrong on that. So basically we have a device that isn't really quite as awesome as the PS3 was except that it's innards are a bit faster and we need this new box to play the latest super duper games that take approximately 1 eon to develop nowadays due to the ridiculous expectations of major games that we now have, Uncharted 4, give a take a year or two should come out next year. It's faster, it's leaner, it's meaner than the 3 playstations that have come before it but it's actually the most limited box they have ever come out with in terms of what Sony will actually permit it to do, except for the PS1 but that couldn't have backwards compatibility because Sony's gaming division was just going to be an add on for the SNES!

One thing a PS4 thing it's good at is playing PS4 games because it's a PS4, er but those are the only games it'll actually play, we might throw in the odd PS3 game here or there on PS Now but only the few that we bother to actually include.

I did find it strange when the PS4 launched that people were clamouring to get it, there didn't seem to be any particularly exciting PS4 games particularly at first and whilst you wait an age for games to come out, the new box wouldn't even allow you to play back Playstation's history as the PS3 initially did when it too had barely a few games to choose from back in 2007, and so with hardly anything particularly exciting to play this would leave new PS4 owners with the rest of the entertainment available on the console which at the time was the less than all that the PS3 was capable of, the mind boggled. Yet sales numbers outstripped the launch of the PS3, which for me was probably the last new console I was excited by, this generation could be the worst in history with the lacklustre Xbox One and the rather limp Wii U which definitely should have been named the Wii HD instead from a marketing point of view.

But Final Fantasy Type 0 HD kind of looks interesting for a jaded Final Fantasy PS1 era fan like myself, I watched a gameplay video on Youtube expecting to once again see something as horrific as Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 which has given me nightmares ever since (I've never bought it!) but instead I was ever so slightly gobsmacked as I was hit by the Final Fantasy prelude theme in an interesting medieval looking town with characters that actually had some interesting dialogue all in Japanese with good old fashioned text on screen! That's character, the American accent voice actors seemed so out of place in Final Fantasy X for the PS2. wonders still don't cease! the Uncharted series is also good, so when Uncharted 4 that might be the time to finally indulge, GTA V on PS4 I could actually play without worrying it that it will push my 60 GB PS3 into the YLOD like it seemed to do last time I played it, since then I got a "new" 60 GB PS3 and haven't actually played GTA V for PS3 since for fearing of it turning into a big ornament again! Oh and it's also got FF VII (HD) coming out, it's tipping me over the edge slightly, or at least it would do if I didn't have half a million car payments still to make.

Gamers, 60 GB PS3's are still not all that rare, why anyone YLOD risk aside would want any other model of PS3 is beyond me! The other models can go swivel as you can upgrade the hard drive in it anyway, which will be my next project!
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    In other words, the PS4 corporate fun box isn't quite as fun as the last one, the PS3 because they have decided as the corporation that you can have slightly less fun because you've been a bit naughty using your PS3 to play all your torrents when you should have been playing your home movies recorded with your Sony Android smartphone or shot on your Sony Handycam, you shouldn't have been playing illegally downloaded Sony Pictures movies such as The Interview on your Sony PS3, so the Sony PS4 despite having more computing power and polygons which means it's more fun, is now a bit less fun, but the games are better mmmkay!
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Games drive consoles and so far I've yet to see a single game that would make me get one. Far Cry 4 was the closest, but as the PS3 got a perfectly good version of FC4 then even that couldn't tip the scales. Never been a big Uncharted fan so that won't be doing it either. I guess it will be a couple more years till we get FC5 which might just do it for me, assuming they've dropped PS3 support by then.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While not something I personally feel I think its clear to see that media is not an important feature for most people. The focus on media damaged the XB1 reveal and the lack of media features on PS4 haven't harmed the sales at all. And while I personally wish the PS4 had media support like the PS3 has, I still bought a PS4 over a media enabled XB1 because I prefer Sonys games to Microsofts.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, the lack of media stuff on PS4 isn't a big deal for me as it's built into both my TVs anyway. (And I've got a PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One there to pick up the slack if needed)

For those that do want/need these capabilities, the official line from Sony is that they want to build bespoke PS4 media functions from the ground up, not just "copy and paste" what PS3 had.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Good point actually - I can stick a £50 USB drive into the back of my smart tv amd do everything the ps3 does (I think I can payback Mkv) but then, am I restricted to fat32 4gb file limits?
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not an all singing, all dancing new games console unless Sony says it can be OK.

Sony are control freaks and you can see plenty of evidence of that in the way that the PS4 is designed and is allowed to operate.

I see this thread I created has come back, I could probably get away with adding more consoles in terms of space and perhaps if a Final Fantasy game is good I might get a PS4, but it's hard to understand why more people aren't miffed like I am that the PS4 simply isn't as awesome as the PS3 was, the last post explains perfectly why, it really puts the multi in multimedia device doing most things you could want in terms of home entertainment, it plays Netflix and pretty much all of the catch up channels from our main broadcasters including Sky Go now as well (though got to pay extra grr), a wide variety of video files (though admittedly fussy and I now find it easier with a PC hooked up using VLC), it plays video files over your home network from your PC meaning you don't actually need a stack of drives USB's into the front, it's already a top quality DVD and Blu-Ray player, if you got the first 2007 60 GB model like me you don't need a PS2 hooked up as well and it does away with memory cards for PS2 games and you can back up and download game saves, it's great for photos and MP3 playback too.

So where is the PS4 at now? it's got most of the catch up channels, it's still a very good DVD and Blu-Ray player, MP3 playback has now been finally added. Video file playback? er no, Sony would rather you use official DVDs and Blu-Rays and it was too easy to play torrented files on the PS3, so the ultra convenience is probably not going to make a return on the PS4. PS1, PS2 & PS3 games? No sorry says Sony, we've got this convoluted PS Now streaming thing, oh and your Playstation Store downloads of those games ain't gonna carry over, you'll just have to pay even more money and subscribe if you want to enjoy those on your PS4 too. Photos?, well so far you can only stick a USB drive in for music, correct me if I'm wrong on that. So basically we have a device that isn't really quite as awesome as the PS3 was except that it's innards are a bit faster and we need this new box to play the latest super duper games that take approximately 1 eon to develop nowadays due to the ridiculous expectations of major games that we now have, Uncharted 4, give a take a year or two should come out next year. It's faster, it's leaner, it's meaner than the 3 playstations that have come before it but it's actually the most limited box they have ever come out with in terms of what Sony will actually permit it to do, except for the PS1 but that couldn't have backwards compatibility because Sony's gaming division was just going to be an add on for the SNES!

One thing a PS4 thing it's good at is playing PS4 games because it's a PS4, er but those are the only games it'll actually play, we might throw in the odd PS3 game here or there on PS Now but only the few that we bother to actually include.

I did find it strange when the PS4 launched that people were clamouring to get it, there didn't seem to be any particularly exciting PS4 games particularly at first and whilst you wait an age for games to come out, the new box wouldn't even allow you to play back Playstation's history as the PS3 initially did when it too had barely a few games to choose from back in 2007, and so with hardly anything particularly exciting to play this would leave new PS4 owners with the rest of the entertainment available on the console which at the time was the less than all that the PS3 was capable of, the mind boggled. Yet sales numbers outstripped the launch of the PS3, which for me was probably the last new console I was excited by, this generation could be the worst in history with the lacklustre Xbox One and the rather limp Wii U which definitely should have been named the Wii HD instead from a marketing point of view.

But Final Fantasy Type 0 HD kind of looks interesting for a jaded Final Fantasy PS1 era fan like myself, I watched a gameplay video on Youtube expecting to once again see something as horrific as Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 which has given me nightmares ever since (I've never bought it!) but instead I was ever so slightly gobsmacked as I was hit by the Final Fantasy prelude theme in an interesting medieval looking town with characters that actually had some interesting dialogue all in Japanese with good old fashioned text on screen! That's character, the American accent voice actors seemed so out of place in Final Fantasy X for the PS2. wonders still don't cease! the Uncharted series is also good, so when Uncharted 4 that might be the time to finally indulge, GTA V on PS4 I could actually play without worrying it that it will push my 60 GB PS3 into the YLOD like it seemed to do last time I played it, since then I got a "new" 60 GB PS3 and haven't actually played GTA V for PS3 since for fearing of it turning into a big ornament again! Oh and it's also got FF VII (HD) coming out, it's tipping me over the edge slightly, or at least it would do if I didn't have half a million car payments still to make.

Gamers, 60 GB PS3's are still not all that rare, why anyone YLOD risk aside would want any other model of PS3 is beyond me! The other models can go swivel as you can upgrade the hard drive in it anyway, which will be my next project!

It's impossible to take your extensive rants about the PS4 seriously, as a cursory glacé through your Facebook page seems to suggest all they boil down to is a thinly veiled hissy fit because you can't play your illegally downloaded content through it.

And I Quote - "I don't accept right wing spirited rules such as that, lack of free access to our collective culture as human beings is also plainly depressing and so to that end we should all just keep torrenting"
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    me personally i like my ps3 a great media player blurays, dvds, catch up, films on the harddrive it does everything and has a great collection of games. i will keep my ps3 the new consoles at the moment lack a must have game for me so i havent bothered yet however the lack of sony exclusives is disturbing
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still sticking with ps3 for now i've recently upgraded the hdd from 320gb to 1tb, i've estimated i'll be getting a ps4 towards the end of 2016.
  • Options
    WoodsMonkWoodsMonk Posts: 6,463
    Forum Member
    I still need to play the God of War series, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5/2.5 and the stack of PS+ games before I get rid :p
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    You are allowed to keep your PS3 when you buy a PS4 you know, no need to get rid of anything.

Not saying you can't. I am looking at the Wiiu myself, mario Kart is crazy.