The ITV Leaders Debate - 2nd April 2015

heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
Forum Member
What is it?

A seven-way debate between the leaders of the Conservative Party, the Green Party, the Liberal Democrats, the Labour Party, Plaid Cymru, the SNP and UKIP

Who’s the referee?

Julie Etchingham, co-presenter of ITV News at Ten and presenter of Tonight

When and where?

8pm to 10pm, broadcast on ITV

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to it... but fear it could be a bore fest with no one standing out.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Let's keep it clean guys. Result decided by two falls, two submissions or a u-turn :p
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it... but fear it could be a bore fest with no one standing out.

God I hope not. I'm hoping it'll be something like this...
    Forum Member

It all depends on how each leader approaches this debate. Concentrate on selling yourself, your party and your policies. Or, go after your nearest rival and attempt to downgrade his and his party's popularity.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

hahaha!
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to try to listen on radio - I prefer that, without visual distractions.
    It's going to be tough trying to work out who's speaking.
  • bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nutty Natalie is a walking car crash
    Forum Member
    MattN wrote: »
    Nutty Natalie is a walking car crash

I was just going to post:

"8 posts so far and no sign of political animosity"

:D
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's overstating things to say that this is surely the biggest set-piece event we'll see in this campaign.

Having Cameron and Miliband on stage together for the only time would bear this out alone, but putting all the other major leaders from England, Scotland and Wales up there with them will ensure two hours of fascinating viewing - whether it takes the form of an orderly debate or a bunfight.

Clearly the goal is for each leader to make themselves and their message heard, but each leader has their own separate aims they'll be aiming to strengthen during tonight's proceedings - and watching those unfold along with the dynamics of the interactions between each of them will be fascinating.

Remember that any meaningful moments and stated points may carry more weight than they did last week because the public has the whole of the long Easter weekend to view them in the highlights packages and digest them accordingly.

This debate will also be analysed to within an inch of its life by way of three or four polls after it's concluded - and the continual feedback "worm" poll which will run throughout the debate itself.

Tonight's debate may not change the outcome of the election but it may give us the biggest indication yet to what will happen afterwards.
  • MattNMattN Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I was just going to post:

"8 posts so far and no sign of political animosity"

:D

It's something people on all sides of the political spectrum can agree on
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing will happen 40 mins is not enough time for anyone to speak and anyone who does their advises will be timing to make sure they all get exactly same time.

A pointless exercise that will just not work.
  • CITIZENFOURCITIZENFOUR Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shot of vodka every time someone says the word "immigration". See you in the morning!
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With so many of them how can it be anything but sound byte and counter sound byte? We will just be skimming the surface surely. :confused:
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    It all depends on how each leader approaches this debate. Concentrate on selling yourself, your party and your policies. Or, go after your nearest rival and attempt to downgrade his and his party's popularity.

I would prefer leaders focus on this BUT I doubt it will happen. In particular at least 2 of them will not be able to help themselves as that is what , esp for one of them, they've been trained/coached to do ie ...attack attack attack with negative campaign so the attention is shifted away from their non-existent and ever changing "policies".
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shot of vodka every time someone says the word "immigration". See you in the morning!

A debate drinking game could be fun. Could be dangerous though!

What if someone says "I agree with Nick"?
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    With so many of them how can it be anything but sound byte and counter sound byte? We will just be skimming the surface surely. :confused:

That's how Dave wanted it.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MattN wrote: »
    It's something people on all sides of the political spectrum can agree on

Hopefully people on all sides can also agree on the difficulty of keeping the debate running fairly and properly and the suitability of the lady ITV have chosen to do that - namely Julie Etchingham.

She sure has come a long way from Newsround and deservedly so.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They all have technically 5 and a half minutes to speak how much can they all say in that time?
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Farage is going to give them hell.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    A debate drinking game could be fun. Could be dangerous though!

What if someone says "I agree with Nick"?

I wonder how he'll play it. If I was him I would keep quiet and let the others come across like kids.
    Forum Member

A loud raspberry every time somebody says "I was talking to a voter in the street this week......."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Class!:D;-)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Cameron has got what he wanted. Non of them are going to be able to explain much with the amount of time they have. They'll just try to give a soundbyte that is part of their campaign.

Even with the anaysis the average voter isn't going to be swayed by much, or anything, out of these debates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Farage is going to give them hell.

Tbh, i think he'l come unstuck. He might look a bit stupid!