Ben Earl: Trick Artist, C4&HD 9pm, 26 Apr, 3-10-17 May

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else noticed that it specifically states no actors used, not no actors or stooges like derren brown for eg....
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    xjulezyx wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that it specifically states no actors used, not no actors or stooges like derren brown for eg....

Well a stooge would have to act as they have to act as a member of the audience. So I think that covers it.

Do they now have to put up a 3 page notice containing every possible meaning of a stooge or else someone will cry "Conspiracy!"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all, I like what he does, I was just curious....:confused::confused:
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a boring show. Style over substance.

I find it sad how magic shows are going, dragging out the same old tricks but putting a modern spin on them in order to keep the audiences attention.

What next? Pick a card, any card, are you happy with that card? Now we go live to the International Space Station......

Bring back Paul Daniels.
  • Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's no Derren that's for sure.
  • ClunkClunk Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the constant references to Derren Brown - they are not the same 'act' and nor do they pretend to be.

So, as for Ben Earl - I have to say I am not impressed by this show. There have been one or two tricks that have left me thinking - at all (sadly) about how they were done, as most are very 'old' and well known tricks, as treeff0g said, with an attempt at a new spin.

Whilst I do not question that he is a very good sleight of hand magician, I find that so many performances - in this production, can be attributed to stooges or camera angles that it depletes from what he is doing.

For me, one of the biggest failings though is him. I personally find him to be sadly lacking in charisma, in personality. He comes across as a bit too up himself - too smug, maybe (IMO) as if he is playing it as 'I am a megastar magician, so be in awe', which for me doesn't work when I don't know him from Adam. OK, so that may be his 'routine', but it has not engaged me.

Having maligned the Derren Brown references, there is an 'attitude' that Derren can portray, because he is who he is - he has made it big, he IS a name. (Saying that, some of these latest Derren shows have been awful, and I feel he has really sold out - but that is another thread)

I could have got passed that issue with magic that really made me say 'wow - how did you do that', but that hasn't happened either.

I guess in some ways I feel disappointed as I feel like I am watching a (probably) very good magician, being shown in a very bad way - and that is a fault of the editing and production of the show.

It can never be a good thing when your TV audience can, rightly or wrongly, write the whole performance off as stooges and camera cuts (and yes, I know, that can always be an argument for any TV magic show), as to me that is poor editing.

The only way to ever see 'magic', is live - and close up magic, sleight of hand, done well, done live, done with you as the 'victim', is amazing to witness. Even when you know the gimmick, if it is done in a way that makes you say 'I know what you did, I know how, but I don't know 'HOW' - it is a lovely feeling - indeed the very reason Penn & Teller did the 'Shock Us' or whatever it was called, series.

I would love to see much more magic on TV, but it has to be good, it has to be things that make the TV audience really say 'how' - and not be able to write it all off too easily with camera cuts and stooges.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the most recent one. He has some really good tricks, dressed up in novel ways. As others have said, the production is too flashy though, as if they think the "yoof" will only watch if it's done that way.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re the weeing trick. Did any find it strange how much they wee'd! really??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    re the weeing trick. Did any find it strange how much they wee'd! really??

Yes it was quite odd......I dint like that at all. I don’t really want to watch a group of guys going to the toilet in front of me as I dare say they wouldn’t like to watch me going for a ‘wee’ in front of them…:o
    I think C4 have packaged Ben’s series in a similar way to Derren and that’s why people are making comparisons but the problem for me is that Ben‘s performance persona hasn’t grabbed my attention.
  • SnapeyDSSnapeyDS Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I find it difficult to enjoy any TV magic since David Blaines levitation trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkLYYP4Q_s

The simple reason that this destroyed all tv magic for me is that when you know how the trick is performed you also know that what we are seeing is not what the people on the street are seeing. The camera clearly shows both feet off the ground, this does not happen and this is not what the people on the street see.

This is what the people on the street see and this is how its done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcNeHb6XZ7E

The cameras lie. I know people cant levitate and that magic is not real but I dont expect cameras to mislead the audience that badly :mad:
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnapeyDS wrote: »
    The simple reason that this destroyed all tv magic for me is that when you know how the trick is performed you also know that what we are seeing is not what the people on the street are seeing. The camera clearly shows both feet off the ground, this does not happen and this is not what the people on the street see.

I'd disagree with that. Someone I used to work with would do the trick and yes.. if you moved, you ruined the trick because you could see how it was done.. but performed at the right angle it looked very believable. But like a lot of tricks, if you studied it too much or moved to get a better look, you'd ruin it. So I don't believe it was a 100% faked for TV using actors stunt.

However.. this chap on C4 seems to be doing that, which is a shame. The first trick tonight with the card was just too elaborate and unbelievable for me to enjoy it. At least with close hand magic where the card appeared somewhere else, perhaps on his person.. you could believe he pulled it off somehow. But teleporting a card to a guy on the street? It's just too unbelievable for me.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    What I don't like about it is the mxing of mentalism with magic. Not the workings but the actual routines. It used to be two separate things with the magic being good but of course a trick, whereas mentalism has always been presented as what it is meant to be. This seems to be a throw anything in as long as it looks good and that further blurs what is it meant to be that we are watching? A magician or a mentalist?

Also all these shows seem to have the same ghastly format: Big notice boards with picture on them and all filmed in a old warehouse with atmospheric lighting.

Let's have something new and well defined in both format and content.

Remember, Uri Geller started with just bending spoons. That was all he did, but did it well. Sometimes less is more. This is more stuff than substance.
    Forum Member
    I guess everyone knows that magic isn’t real but when you witness something which you know can’t be happening but just for that brief moment in time you feel that you are experiencing something which ‘appears’ to be real then that childlike feeing of amazement is totally priceless.

Ben needs to find his own performance persona… . Something which will make him stand out from other magicians etc. . Being a good magician is fine but if you want to capture the attention of ‘Joe public’ you have to have that extra something (imho)
    Forum Member
    Someone has just told me about ‘Stevie Pink ‘on BGT and I’ve just watched his act on You Tube…it’s very impressive and when I saw it I was amazed.

The sad thing is I now know how it was done…. but nevertheless he has created a performance persona which helps to make the magic and illusion more appealing.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's very poor. Will not watch again.
    Forum Member
    Edit to my last post

Oh dear....I do 'not' know how Stevie did this trick.;) I spoke too soon...I've studied it and I've changed my mind. I hope we can see more of this guy :)
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this guy is very very talented, dont know how you can say he is POOR
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this guy is very very talented, dont know how you can say he is POOR

I think he's very good at sleight at hand. It's the way he tries to build up the tricks from that at which he fails. In my opinion.