Options

The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern BBC4 10 pm Monday

Comments

• Options
    jet soundsjet sounds Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Good comedy actress is Lucy Montgomery. The scenes with Mel C had me in stitches :D

Yep, I enjoyed watching Lucy in Tittybangbang...another good comedy programme IMO.
  • Options
    JohnCRJohnCR Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    JohnCR wrote: »
    The quickly scrolling Christmas hit list had a list of real tracks and, near the end of it, something like "Band Aid 30: Surely they know it's Christmas by now, for f**** sake".

I took another look at the scrolling list - the rest weren't all real tracks although there were some :)

"Walking In The Air" by Aled Jones had one key letter changed.
    "Winter In Winnipeg" by Brian Pern
    "Christmas In A Bottle" by Sting.
    "Christmas In My Car" by Pat and the Patios (is this spoofing Mike and the Mechanics or Chris Rea or both?)
    "They must know it's Christmas by now, for f**** sake" was the title above,.
    "Black Christmas" by Thotch.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as funny as last week's IMO, but still funny.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Nearly didn't spot that the final episode is on tonight at 10.30

same here, that was very naughty of the BBC.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the throw away lines in this programme and the (incorrect) titles - Ferne Cotton for Annie Nightingale etc.

I vow to throw in "avocados delivered by Ocado" into a conversation over Xmas :)
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jet sounds wrote: »
    Yep, I enjoyed watching Lucy in Tittybangbang...another good comedy programme IMO.
    lucy's character in a life of rock reminded me of her nurse shy character from tittybangbang (was watching the 3rd series of that last night ;) )
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Is Brian's mad Mexican girlfriend meant to be based on anyone in particular??

I assumed it was based on the American born of Greek & Arabic parentage avant garde singer Diamanda Galás whom the original lead singer from Genesis allegedly had a relationship with in the early 1990s, after he split with actress Rosanna Arquette:

Just listen and watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0AIjnQ8t30

As for the rest of the show, I loved the Black Sabbath inspired 1975 Xmas single with its Mike Oldfield inspired B-side; the Roy Wood gag about having a children's choir in his van - was that a dig at numerous 1970s pop stars and entertainers?; and all I can say about the open ending is "If looks could kill they probably will ....."

If Brian Pern's character has been killed off; then surely there is a huge potential opening for a follow up Rockumentary series based on different acts manager John Farrow (Michael Kitchen) has managed over the years which could then be loosely based on an amalgamation of numerous pop stars/groups played by different comedy actors/actresses each week.....
  • Options
    jet soundsjet sounds Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I assumed it was based on the American born of Greek & Arabic parentage avant garde singer Diamanda Galás whom the original lead singer from Genesis allegedly had a relationship with in the early 1990s, after he split with actress Rosanna Arquette:

As for the rest of the show, I loved the Black Sabbath inspired 1975 Xmas single with its Mike Oldfield inspired B-side; the Roy Wood gag about having a children's choir in his van - was that a dig at numerous 1970s pop stars and entertainers?; and all I can say about the open ending is "If looks could kill they probably will ....."

If Brian Pern's character has been killed off; then surely there is a huge potential opening for a follow up Rockumentary series based on different acts manager John Farrow (Michael Kitchen) has managed over the years which could then be loosely based on an amalgamation of numerous pop stars/groups played by different comedy actors/actresses each week.....

My ears! :o
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I can see that...

BTW John Stewart looked very young at the start of the clip
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an absolute gem and I hope it gets a re-showing soon, as there were so many jokes and inferences that I missed. Well done Simon Day for not letting his character slip by even a tinch.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thotch lives! On BBC Four. :)

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001843/series_3_of_brian_pern_confirmed/
    His manager Gary Farrow added: "We are so pleased that Brian has been allowed more airtime to remind us how great he was and continues to be. I'd like to thank BBC Four for offering more money (and viewers) than SKY ARTS , SKY ARTS HD, SKY ARTS 2, SKY ARTS 2 HD, SKY ARTS + 1, SKY ARTS HD + 1, SKY ARTS 2 HD+1 and VH-1."
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Interesting that this represents a return to original productions on BBC4. It does make me wonder though what it says about what the BBC sees BBC2's core audience as being if BBC4 is seen as a better fit for this show.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Guy is on BBC Two soon remember!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wonder who his nemesis will be this time :D
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Excellent news :)
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would definitely buy a concept album of The Musical Version of The Day of the Triffids
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you just can't beat BBC4 for these brilliant documentaries .

• Options
    GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,093
    Forum Member
    I would definitely buy a concept album of The Musical Version of The Day of the Triffids
    Well there isn't that, but there is this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sum-Parts-Thotch-Beyond-Explicit/dp/B00S6NVX4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436317600&sr=8-1&keywords=brian+pern
  • Options
    Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Heads up about series three starting on Thursday - certainly one of the Beeb's better comedy offerings, and a welcome treat for us Fast Show nostalgics!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aha, that's excellent. When the Lucy Montgomery character was described as a "something something Kate Bush" I kinda got hung up on the KB aspect and missed the joke.
    Heads up about series three starting on Thursday - certainly one of the Beeb's better comedy offerings, and a welcome treat for us Fast Show nostalgics!

Good to see that Lucy IS playing KB in this now, from the snippet of the Don't Give Up video shown. It's been a very, very long time since a comedian / enne took her off.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay! On tonight;-)
    I notice Christopher Ecclestone is in this series - not sure what as though.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was a bit late to this but have caught up on the first 2 series so I'm looking forward to it tonight

On a slightly related note I saw that documentary on BBC4 or BBC2 a couple of days ago on Blondie........it's been on a couple of times now. That was a fascinating 'warts and all' documentary about the break up of a band. The way that disgruntled ex band members were interviewed was very reminiscent of the boys from Throtch

:D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I was a bit late to this but have caught up on the first 2 series so I'm looking forward to it tonight

On a slightly related note I saw that documentary on BBC4 or BBC2 a couple of days ago on Blondie........it's been on a couple of times now. That was a fascinating 'warts and all' documentary about the break up of a band. The way that disgruntled ex band members were interviewed was very reminiscent of the boys from Throtch

:D

Thotch rocks! :D

This is a cracking little show - Simon is so very underrated in my opinion and Kitchen is just fantastic.

This programme, The Detectorists and Toast of London show that we can still produce really excellent comedies in this country. :)
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't recall a recomissioning of a show that has surprised me more than this.
  • Options
    johnny121johnny121 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    "Although Thotch spilt in 1977 the name, like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Then Jericho still lives on". :D