Stacey is the new Pat

2»

Comments

• Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    I think everyone mildly agrees there will never be another Pat, Peggy or Pauline they are unique & classic to themselves and EE history.

However there will be close versions to fill the void not the same but similar in many aspects you have stand out characters in every soap and as time goes on if they stay in that role they move on and grow as characters in to other roles as newer or other characters take more centre stage.

I want to see growth and a bit of normality, relationships, marriage, setting up home the cycles we see in all soap characters through the years and more important history.

Absolutely. If we sit on our hands and protest that our favourite ex characters will never be replaced then the show will never move on. As characters of course they'll never be replaced. There's only one Pat Butcher, for instance. But other characters can fill the roles they left behind. Stacey is doing that right now and the bonus is the fact we have years of on screen backstory to make it all the more believable.

If EastEnders is to survive it needs to draw on it's assets to make up for the loss of such important characters as Pat, Peggy and Pauline. It hasn't done that until now and I think that's what's been lacking. When we lost Pat it was like losing a limb for the show. It's about time someone stepped into the breach and picked up where she left off. Only thing I don't like is when it's forced. I like Cora but I felt she was being shoehorned in as the new matriarch when she first joined. It didn't work out as she was too new and we didn't really have that connection to her or indeed she to the square. With Stacey it's a whole other ball game. She has the history and connections to make it believable. Most importantly she has genuinely developed and that's not something afforded to every character as we've seen lately with Kat and Shirley.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    She's clearly showing herself to have Pat's warmth and ability to help others in their hour of need. They may be two entirely different characters, but they definitely have some similar traits.
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Exept arguably she's lost her sparkle and the character isn't quite what it was
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. If we sit on our hands and protest that our favourite ex characters will never be replaced then the show will never move on. As characters of course they'll never be replaced. There's only one Pat Butcher, for instance. But other characters can fill the roles they left behind. Stacey is doing that right now and the bonus is the fact we have years of on screen backstory to make it all the more believable.

If EastEnders is to survive it needs to draw on it's assets to make up for the loss of such important characters as Pat, Peggy and Pauline. It hasn't done that until now and I think that's what's been lacking. When we lost Pat it was like losing a limb for the show. It's about time someone stepped into the breach and picked up where she left off. Only thing I don't like is when it's forced. I like Cora but I felt she was being shoehorned in as the new matriarch when she first joined. It didn't work out as she was too new and we didn't really have that connection to her or indeed she to the square. With Stacey it's a whole other ball game. She has the history and connections to make it believable. Most importantly she has genuinely developed and that's not something afforded to every character as we've seen lately with Kat and Shirley.

An excellent post-As you say its not about exact replacements but filling a niche in the cast of characters.

Could you see Queen Sonia filling any of the future voids maybe say Dot or Jane?:o;-)
  • StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree OP.

I think it is ridiculous how some people put Pat on a pedestal claiming she is untouchable. She was a great character but current characters can most definitely reach her status at some point down the line.
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exept arguably she's lost her sparkle and the character isn't quite what it was

I would say the character isn't what it was, but better.
    The writing for Stacey has been so good, after a very dodgy return storyline.

Once the character broke free of the shackles of the Archie story, I think she's gone from strength to strength. I can't wait to see what they're gonna do with her this year.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey needs Jean