Labour 1997-2010 the worst government ever?

Comments

• OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard lots of people saying it, personally I think as far as the UK went they did OK, certainly better than the last lot,
    and they were SO bad that the Tories had a record breaking landslide victory in the 2010 election giving them an historic overall majority and have enjoyed massive and overwhelming popularity and support from the vast majority of the British people since, so much in fact that the Labour party have all applied to join the conservative party, and already declared that this general election is utterly pointless as the British people are clearly and deeply in love with our courageous, steel back boned highly principled honourable beloved leader,

OH....... hang on...... that was in another reality sorry.
    God DAMN the pusher man.
    :D:p
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Labour did OK when the going was easy. When things became difficult they hadn't a clue.

Like when Cameron is forced into answering something not scripted or well rehearsed?

It's all well and good telling your Bullingdon pals that you want to be prime minister, but actually succeeding at being one is totally different. Cameron's been out of his depth since day one.
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and they were SO bad that the Tories had a record breaking landslide victory in the 2010 election giving them an historic overall majority and have enjoyed massive and overwhelming popularity and support from the vast majority of the British people since, so much in fact that the Labour party have all applied to join the conservative party, and already declared that this general election is utterly pointless as the British people are clearly and deeply in love with our courageous, steel back boned highly principled honourable beloved leader,
    And they all lived happily ever after, now go to sleep ,here's your little cuddly IDS Dolly to stop you having nightmares about the economy again.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Like when Cameron is forced into answering something not scripted or well rehearsed?

It's all well and good telling your Bullingdon pals that you want to be prime minister, but actually succeeding at being one is totally different. Cameron's been out of his depth since day one.

Unemployment down. 2 million new job, mainly proper jobs. Recovery from the massive mess left by labour.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Cool wrote: »
    Wasn't there high unemployment, 2 recessions and interest rates between 10-15% throughout the 80's and early 90's. Under the Tories, not really sure that 1997 to 2010 was that awful, in fact 1997 to 2007 were pretty good!

Yes they were - but as the economic success was built on increasing debt it was simply unsustainable.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,846
    Forum Member
    I've just scrolled down the first page and seen no one mention the Tory Government of 1992-1997.! Now that is what was the worst Government in my liivng memory and probably was one of the worst ever.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,846
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Labour did OK when the going was easy. When things became difficult they hadn't a clue.

Then how do you explain Labour getting us out of recession within a year of the crash coming to light and the Tories who took a growing economy when they took over in 2010 into a flatlined economy for 3 years and who have failed to meet all of their targets?!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really need to look at the 3 Labour terms separately.

1997-2001. There are some good arguments that this was one of the most successful government terms in recent years. A booming economy was inherited from Major and Clarke while Blair and Brown stuck to most of their spending plans and brought in some sensible reforms. Even though I didn't vote Labour I approved of most of what they did. 8/10.

2001-2005. The whole term was affected by what happened on Sept 11 2001 so the domestic agenda was neglected. 5/10

2005-2010. Possibly one of the worst government terms in recent decades. Dominated by Brown plotting Blair's downfall, finally getting the job and not having a clue what he was then going to do. Then there was the financial crisis and the government hanging on for dear life by the end. 2/10 rating.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I would say the Governments that almost bankrupted us in the Seventies were far worse than the Labour Party of 1997-2010.

I'd agree with that. I grew up then and remember power cuts and my Dad on a three day week.

The UK then had to get loans from the IMF and the economy was in a worse state that it is today.

I'm not sure any government can be as bad as the Governments of the seventies. Though, as a wee boy it was a great time to grow up!
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

For sheer awfulness the Ted Heath government of 1970 to 74 will take some beating. Rampant inflation, the first recession for sixteen years, strikes, the three day week, power cuts. Without doubt the worst PM in my lifetime.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Then how do you explain Labour getting us out of recession within a year of the crash coming to light and the Tories who took a growing economy when they took over in 2010 into a flatlined economy for 3 years and who have failed to meet all of their targets?!

If you listen to the Tories you would think Labour crashed the ecomomy. The economy was GROWING by May 2010. Osborne sent it back into recession.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    You really need to look at the 3 Labour terms separately.

1997-2001. There are some good arguments that this was one of the most successful government terms in recent years. A booming economy was inherited from Major and Clarke while Blair and Brown stuck to most of their spending plans and brought in some sensible reforms. Even though I didn't vote Labour I approved of most of what they did. 8/10.

2001-2005. The whole term was affected by what happened on Sept 11 2001 so the domestic agenda was neglected. 5/10

2005-2010. Possibly one of the worst government terms in recent decades. Dominated by Brown plotting Blair's downfall, finally getting the job and not having a clue what he was then going to do. Then there was the financial crisis and the government hanging on for dear life by the end. 2/10 rating.

very fair point and I would agree with that 100%
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I've just scrolled down the first page and seen no one mention the Tory Government of 1992-1997.! Now that is what was the worst Government in my liivng memory and probably was one of the worst ever.

Ah John Major... Actually quite a decent man by Conservative standards.

Absolutely useless as a PM. Then there was all the sleaze and lies that surrounded his government.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Like all governments it was a mixed back in my view.

On one hand they recklessly spent too much (remember local councils advertising for 'imagination officers' etc); they botched up housing and helped cuase the still ongoing house-price bubble, and of course Iraq was disgusting.

On the other I'm glad they presided over devolution, they set up and later strengthened the National Assembly, giving Wales more power over its affairs. Also happy with the civil partnership legislation which meant my union with my partner could be recognised in law.

Despite its many failings it was more human and compassionate than the current government, which has used the austerity drive (which I agree was needed in some measure to deal with the financial problem) as an excuse to attack the poorest and most vulnerable in society, often for purely ideological reasons rather than fiscal ones.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my lifetime, I don't remember the Callaghan government and the 80's were never bad for me, I remember being unhappy through a lot of the 00's so in my mind they were government when I was most unhappy so yes I suppose this makes them the worst to me.

Here is the problem with dragging up an 18 month old blog from a generation Y blogger. "Ever" doesn't equal "In my lifetime".

If you can't remember the 70s, it doesn't mean they cease to exist. We have history books, websites, academics, etc.

Claiming (and then 18 months later starting a thread) that 97-2010 was the worst government ever is so pathetically stupid that it can only be done by someone with an agenda.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is the problem with dragging up an 18 month old blog from a generation Y blogger. "Ever" doesn't equal "In my lifetime".

If you can't remember the 70s, it doesn't mean they cease to exist. We have history books, websites, academics, etc.

Claiming (and then 18 months later starting a thread) that 97-2010 was the worst government ever is so pathetically stupid that it can only be done by someone with an agenda.

Agenda? :D ok if that is what you think.

Maybe you need to alter you username.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe Cameron is leading the worst government EVER

http://leedanielhughes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/cameron-is-leading-possibly-worst-uk.html?m=1

Blogs are not really worth the bandwidth they occupy.

If you want to start a Cameron government is the worst ever then feel free to do so I don't like him anymore than I like Miliband or Blair or Brown.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious answer is that nobody on here has enough knowledge to make such a categorical assertion, and neither has the bloke in the Telegraph. Although the last few years of that Labour government were pretty woeful, the first few years of it would put it ahead of the current government by some distance, in my opinion. In my lifetime the current coalition would be the worst. Cameron is the only 1 of the last 5 PM's that I will not ever vote for.

Predictably and depressingly arrogant,.

The first chunk of the New Labour government was fairly benign, as it had pledged to stick to Tory spending plans. Once free of the shackles, the damage started.

I said at the time of the 2010 election that the preceding 13 years had been the most disastrously governed of my life. Labour was absolutely terrible in power. Actually managed to display the very worst of Right and Left at the same time. Quite a feat.

The only positives I can salvage from the entire debacle are civil partnerships and min wage. A pitiful scorecard.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Like all governments it was a mixed back in my view.
    A mixed bag, surely? :)
    On one hand they recklessly spent too much (remember local councils advertising for 'imagination officers' etc); they botched up housing and helped cuase the still ongoing house-price bubble, and of course Iraq was disgusting.

On the other I'm glad they presided over devolution, they set up and later strengthened the National Assembly, giving Wales more power over its affairs. Also happy with the civil partnership legislation which meant my union with my partner could be recognised in law.
    Same here.
    Despite its many failings it was more human and compassionate than the current government
    And of course more human and compassionate than the previous Tory government!
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agenda? :D ok if that is what you think.

Maybe you need to alter you username.

No need to alter anything.

If you can actually justify the use of the word "ever" when it clearly excludes anything that occurred more than 30 years ago, I'll be happy to apologise, but until then, I can only assume that you and the blogger have an agenda.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    as he couldn't win an election outright, and even more so as he didn't win outright against someone like Gordon Brown.

More of the vote than Labour got in 2005, more votes than Labour got in 2005. The fact that it doesn't translate into seats is meaningless and a terrible talking point for Labour supporters - and a sad indictment of our electoral system, where Labour have it easiest and the Lib Dems and other smaller parties have it worst

And besides, Brown got to where he was without anyone having a say - he didn't have to even be elected party leader, and he represents one of the safest Labour seats (at least until May)
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst: 1983-87 (Thatcher): The government that p****d North Sea Oil up the wall and flogged off public assets cheaply. The government that we are still getting over.
    Second Worst: 1970-74 Heath: Just generally incompetent.
    Third Worst: 2010-14 Cameron: Flatlined the economy then got it moving again with debt but all while scapegoating others.
    Fourth Worst: 1979- 1983 Thatcher: Mucked up an improving situation.
    Fifth Worst: 1974-1976 Wilson: Lost its way in a sort of couldn't be bothered manner.
    Sixth Worst: Blair 2001-2005: Lost its way by being out of touch and neo-liberal and authoritarian at the same time.
    Seventh Worst: Brown: All over the shop but got its act together when it needed to- but still overall poor.

Wilson 1966-70 and Callaghan 1976-79 were probably the best of the bunch, followed by Major 1992- 1997 (although Black Monday does count against). Blair 1997-2001 was ok.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst: 1983-87 (Thatcher): The government that p****d North Sea Oil up the wall and flogged off public assets cheaply. The government that we are still getting over.
    Third Worst: 2010-14 Cameron: Flatlined the economy then got it moving again with debt but all while scapegoating others.
    Fifth Worst: 1974-1976 Wilson: Lost its way in a sort of couldn't be bothered manner.
    Sixth Worst: Blair 2001-2005: Lost its way by being out of touch and neo-liberal and authoritarian at the same time.
    Seventh Worst: Brown: All over the shop but got its act together when it needed to- but still overall poor.

Wilson 1966-70 and Callaghan 1976-79 were probably the best of the bunch, followed by Major 1992- 1997 (although Black Monday does count against). Blair 1997-2001 was ok.

I am not shocked at all that almost all of the best/least worst governments in your opinion are Labour, and almost all of the worst are Conservative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, that does raise the point that from 1997-2010 there was not a single government, but three (terms) – and two PMs. So, to obtain a meaningful result, each government term (for whatever period in history) should probably be judged separately.