Options

Glad the Election campaign is finally fully started!

MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm glad the starting gun has finally been fired for the official election campaign as it feels like this year has been a dragged out procedure leading up to it, but now we know are only 37 days away from the election and that all the talking is finally not far away from being over and we'll know soon enough who will form the next government.

Comments

• Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'm bored to death already...the starting gun popped if not fired on 1st January.

And those uncertain of fixed term parliament all said it would mean MONTHS of unofficial campaigning, weeks of official campaigning and a real possibility that an already disaffected electorate would be further turned off/bored/sick of it come the day
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say it has been much different from any other year a GE is coming up. A postal vote and a lengthy holiday abroad is an appealing prospect.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The extended campaign is a downside, but I still prefer that to the previous nonsense whereby one of the runners fired the starting pistol themselves.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From today, all the MP's are no longer MP's.

Do they still get paid up to the election, although they no longer undertake MP's duties?
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it ever stopped. They've been debating and blaming each other for nearly 5 years. The only difference for me is i now have more leaflets in my bin.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I'm not sure it ever stopped. They've been debating and blaming each other for nearly 5 years. The only difference for me is i now have more leaflets in my bin.

I hope that's the re-cycling bin ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most of what is in those leaflets has already been recycled, many times. ;-)
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad the starting gun has finally been fired for the official election campaign as it feels like this year has been a dragged out procedure leading up to it, but now we know are only 37 days away from the election and that all the talking is finally not far away from being over and we'll know soon enough who will form the next government.

It only starts for anyone when the candidates put themselves on a rostrum to be asked questions they'll frequently struggle to answer. Most of them will avoid the rostrum, knowing that Jeremy Paxman will look like a novice when it comes to asking the right questions. Meanwhile keep an eye on your local paper to see the letters columns and pictures of the candidates visiting schools and hospitals.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope. If they wanted them recycled they should've pestered the middle classes with them.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's send this lot to room 101.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    The sooner it is all over, the better imo. Five and a half more weeks of insults, lies and bribes from all the parties is something that I will try to largely avoid. The only thing that I am looking forward to is the Monster Raving Loony manifesto as it will be entertaining and quite possibly will have the most sane proposals of the lot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sooner it is all over, the better imo. Five and a half more weeks of insults, lies and bribes from all the parties is something that I will try to largely avoid. The only thing that I am looking forward to is the Monster Raving Loony manifesto as it will be entertaining and quite possibly will have the most sane proposals of the lot!

Me too, here you go, I suspect many will especially like the first policy. :D

http://www.omrlp.com/
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Me too, here you go, I suspect many will especially like the first policy. :D

http://www.omrlp.com/

Indeed :D

I am still hoping for an OMRLP/Elvis Loves Pets coalition but sadly I think we may have to wait a few more years for them to save the country!
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must like listening to lies if and buts maybes and no intentions.
    The irony is the day after the winner is elected they will have no interest in anything you have to say.
    They now have power.
    Power to say what to can do and what you cant do. Power to force things on all of us.
    You have done the only thing you had a say in and that was to vote so now you views are redundant .
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question

Now that parliament is dissolved, does Dave have to leave the N10 residence, for the purpose of living quarters anyway, what's the protocol here?
  • Options
    MagnamundianMagnamundian Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PM and cabinet remain in place until the new government is formed, even if that takes weeks due to coalition negotiations.

Hence how nominally Gordon Brown was still PM while the Libs and Cons were negotiating and technically still had the power to react to international events or natural disasters.

Gov't doesn't switch off at any point.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only wish the polling day was this Thursday, just to get it all over with.

It feels like it has been dragged out already... I am sure people have made up their minds already.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I only wish the polling day was this Thursday, just to get it all over with.

It feels like it has been dragged out already... I am sure people have made up their minds already.

I feel the same
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    It's been going on for weeks already! Televised stuff with leaders, stuff from the Lib Dems shoved through my letterbox and straight into the bin, lots of coverage in the news ect.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm bored to death already...the starting gun popped if not fired on 1st January.

And those uncertain of fixed term parliament all said it would mean MONTHS of unofficial campaigning, weeks of official campaigning and a real possibility that an already disaffected electorate would be further turned off/bored/sick of it come the day

I'm with you.