Heavy Metal/ Hard Rock

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcbuSlUD_t4

Whitesnake Live in Donington 1983 - Back when Whitesnake were a proper bluesy hard rock band. Mickey Moody and Bernie Marsden on guitars was a match made in heaven.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm not interested in Lacuna Coil (probably because I'm a straight female :D ) and I'd actively cross the road to avoid Down (or anything else involving Anselmo). Amon Amarth is the only band I'd be interested in seeing so far & they're just not that big a draw for me.

I'm not sure why your sexuality would prevent you from liking Lacuna Coil... Christina and Andrea have always shared lead vocals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I has been quite funny watching the bickering about what type of music Judas Priest play though :p
    I don't understand what there is to bicker abut tbh. They're Heavy Metal.

I think it is because of the court case many years ago where they were accused of causing tho teenagers to attempt to commit suicide through subliminal messages on their records.

Therefore in America to label them as "Death Metal" rather than "Heavy Metal" has very different connotations.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I don't understand what there is to bicker abut tbh. They're Heavy Metal.

Indeed, they are the epitome of Heavy Metal.

If someone asked me to describe "heavy metal", I'd simply refer them to Judas Priest.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I think it is because of the court case many years ago where they were accused of causing tho teenagers to attempt to commit suicide through subliminal messages on their records.

Therefore in America to label them as "Death Metal" rather than "Heavy Metal" has very different connotations.
    Of course. I'd forgotten about that.
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Indeed, they are the epitome of Heavy Metal.

If someone asked me to describe "heavy metal", I'd simply refer them to Judas Priest.

I've seen them referred to as Power Metal recently, which is just daft. Just because something has a tune & a high vocal, it doesn't make it Power.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ozzy Osbourne also got accused of the same thing with his song "Suicide Solution" as did Led Zeppelin with "Stairway to Heaven" it was claimed when played backwards it contained satanic messages.

Only in America EH.:)
    Forum Member

I've seen them referred to as Power Metal recently, which is just daft. Just because something has a tune & a high vocal, it doesn't make it Power.

Power Metal is a funny one. I have albums that are considered Power Metal, namely "Walls OF Jericho" and "Helloween EP" by Helloween, and much of Metal Church's output.
    However, they do differ.

Helloween's early output is heavy, fast, twin guitars and with a very slight neo-classical bent. Metal Church's are mainly medium paced bruisers.

That "Metal Evolution" prog on Sky Arts painted Power Metal as uniquely European, fast, heavy, traditional riffs with a neo-classical leaning and "fantasy" lyrics.
    In fact, they reckoned that the early incarnation of Rainbow, were the original 'power metal' band. I wonder what Blackmore made of that!
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Power Metal is a funny one. I have albums that are considered Power Metal, namely "Walls OF Jericho" and "Helloween EP" by Helloween, and much of Metal Church's output.
    However, they do differ.

Helloween's early output is heavy, fast, twin guitars and with a very slight neo-classical bent. Metal Church's are mainly medium paced bruisers.

That "Metal Evolution" prog on Sky Arts painted Power Metal as uniquely European, fast, heavy, traditional riffs with a neo-classical leaning and "fantasy" lyrics.
    In fact, they reckoned that the early incarnation of Rainbow, were the original 'power metal' band. I wonder what Blackmore made of that!
    Well Dio era Rainbow could probably be argued as the origins of Power I guess. As for 'uniquely European' tell that to Kamelot & Iced Earth. I'm not really familiar with Metal Church, so can't really comment. Helloween is definitely a Power band though.

Power seems to be an odd genre. Yes, it's usually big power chords, high vocals & fantasy themes but then you get bands like Sabaton called Power Metal & they have a low baritone & songs about military history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sword - Some proper heavy music the way heavy music should be

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/the-sword-the-hidden-masters/
    Forum Member
    The Sword - Some proper heavy music the way heavy music should be

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/the-sword-the-hidden-masters/

Nice but it's a bit 'poor man's Sabbath' isn't it?
    Forum Member
    Well Dio era Rainbow could probably be argued as the origins of Power I guess. As for 'uniquely European' tell that to Kamelot & Iced Earth. I'm not really familiar with Metal Church, so can't really comment. Helloween is definitely a Power band though.

Power seems to be an odd genre. Yes, it's usually big power chords, high vocals & fantasy themes but then you get bands like Sabaton called Power Metal & they have a low baritone & songs about military history.

Their debut album is a bona fide classic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice but it's a bit 'poor man's Sabbath' isn't it?

Same could be said about Orchid but they still rock :p
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »

And a lot less ridiculous than Manowar :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have made my 2nd purchase from bandcamp, really like this one https://lizardia.bandcamp.com/album/lizardia
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have made my 2nd purchase from bandcamp, really like this one https://lizardia.bandcamp.com/album/lizardia

Yep, I bought that last week and it is really rather good :D
    Forum Member

I saw them live at Reading in 1987 (in the days when it was a real festival!).

I've never seen so many bottles aimed at the stage!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chas & Dave at Sonisphere, got to admit that took me by surprise
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Chas And Dave were also on the bill at the Led Zeppelin gigs at Knebworth Park in 1979 ,so it will not be the first "big" gig they have done.;-)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sonisphere always throw in a curve ball for the Sunday afternoon, They had The Bootleg Beatles there a couple of years ago.

i've seen Chas & Dave and they are great live. People forget they are both seriously talented musicians, they were both very in demand session musicians in the 1960s, and are very well respected by their peers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't slagging Chas & Dave off, no one loves 'Snooker Loopy' more than me, I meant surprise that they were still alive/going
    Forum Member
    I only discovered this a couple of days ago, even though it's been around for years. It's got everything - Metal, cellos, Till Lindemann & Bowie, and I love it! An absolutely outstanding cover :)

Apocalyptica: Helden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oITb_Cy6rw
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't slagging Chas & Dave off, no one loves 'Snooker Loopy' more than me, I meant surprise that they were still alive/going

I didn't take your reply in that way. :)

I was just saying that people look at songs like 'Snooker Loopy' and don't necessarily realise what talented musicians they are.

They'll be great for the Sunday afternoon slot, though.
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't take your reply in that way. :)

I was just saying that people look at songs like 'Snooker Loopy' and don't necessarily realise what talented musicians they are.

They'll be great for the Sunday afternoon slot, though.

Snooker Loopy is not one of their best....try this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEz5o4upJrY

Bring your own sideboard..:p