Options

Ukraine sinking into disaster. Will they come over here?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it doesn't seem far fetched at all. Wouldn't be surprised if Russia comes in full force and Nato follows them.

Putin has to wait for the games to be over. Won't look good if he starts marching in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Isn’t this another example of the EU trying to undermine democratically elected governments and national sovereignty.

The protestors may not like the Government – but President Yanukovych won the 2010 presidential elections fair and square. Another election is due in February 2015.

People may not be a fan of the Coalition – but imagine if the EU started inciting discontent and supporting protestors who sought to bring down our elected government and force early elections.

The inherent problem of course with the Ukraine is that it is two countries – a pro western west and a pro Russian east. Whoever wins the election nearly half the country will be unhappy!

Actually that is very well put.

Apparently any public protest in the UK is classed as a riot when it gets out of hand and participants dealt with ruthlessly.
    A riot in the Ukraine in the eyes of Western leaders however is all the fault of the democratically elected government and they should step down.
    In which case successive UK governments should have stepped down over Northern Ireland, 1984 Miners Strike, 2011 Riots.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to know the number of far Right protestors who are on the streets, and the influence they are having on others - and, indeed, what their particular goals are.

The media doesn't seem to be reporting this aspect of it now, whereas a few weeks back it was quite big, disquieting news.

I've been watching Russia Today and apparently a riot policeman said the protesters in Kiev numbered no more than 500 - and many were being paid 25 dollars a day to participate.
    Although I take RT with a pinch of salt, I take an even bigger pinch of salt watching Sky News or the sanitised BBC News.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually that is very well put.

Apparently any public protest in the UK is classed as a riot when it gets out of hand and participants dealt with ruthlessly.
    A riot in the Ukraine in the eyes of Western leaders however is all the fault of the democratically elected government and they should step down.
    In which case successive UK governments should have stepped down over Northern Ireland, 1984 Miners Strike, 2011 Riots.....

Since when were the 2011 riots politically motivated?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Since when were the 2011 riots politically motivated?

Have you any proof to say they were not?
    Also people having their benefits cut might have had something to do with it and it then becomes a political issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also people having their benefits cut might have had something to do with it and it then becomes a political issue.

To be quite frank, those partaking in those 2011 riots wouldn't know politics if it hit them in the face. They couldn't even make their mind up on what they were rioting on.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member

Sorry to but in but i thought it all began over a family protesting over their relatives death which some opportunistic lowlifes took advantage of and started looting shops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be quite frank, those partaking in those 2011 riots wouldn't know politics if it hit them in the face. They couldn't even make their mind up on what they were rioting on.

So no proof other than your personal opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So no proof other than your personal opinion.

No, life experience and listening to opinion.

To compare the 2011 riots to what is happening in Kiev is unjust on what those in Kiev are trying to achieve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Sorry to but in but i thought it all began over a family protesting over their relatives death which some opportunistic lowlifes took advantage of and started looting shops.

The First World War was started by the shooting on an Archduke and opened a can of worms.
    Same thing with riots, underlying cause is public dissatisfaction which accounts for the rioting spreading to other cities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The First World War was started by the shooting on an Archduke and opened a can of worms.
    Same thing with riots, underlying cause is public dissatisfaction which accounts for the rioting spreading to other cities.

That being the case (if you so say) why did they then suddenly stop? You would have thought the fight to topple the Government would have continued.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To compare the 2011 riots to what is happening in Kiev is unjust on what those in Kiev are trying to achieve.[/

Really? A group of protestors trying to dislodge a democratically elected government.
    Why not wait until ballot box day and dispose of the government civilly?
    Or is it different rules for the Ukraine?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That being the case (if you so say) why did they then suddenly stop? You would have thought the fight to topple the Government would have continued.

No idea, you seem to know all the answers with your 'life experiences' so perhaps you can tell us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? A group of protestors trying to dislodge a democratically elected government.
    Why not wait until ballot box day and dispose of the government civilly?
    Or is it different rules for the Ukraine?

I never passed comment on whether what is happening in Kiev is right or wrong.

All I am saying is that those dying on the streets at least have a cause to riot rather than loot shops because they could and for no other reason.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

To compare the 2011 riots to what is happening in Kiev is unjust on what those in Kiev are trying to achieve.

Do we know what they are trying to achieve yet?

Just the short-term goal of having more elections?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never passed comment on whether what is happening in Kiev is right or wrong.

All I am saying is that those dying on the streets at least had a cause to riot rather than loot shops because they could and for no other reason.

How do you know they are not looting shops in Kiev?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, you seem to know all the answers with your 'life experiences' so perhaps you can tell us.

If you must. It stopped because there was no reason to continue, as there was no real reason to start it in the first place.

And it started to rain too :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know what they are trying to achieve yet?

Just the short-term goal of having more elections?

See my reply to Heavyhaulage49.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    See my reply to Heavyhaulage49.

Sorry, which one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know they are not looting shops in Kiev?

Perhaps they are. Perhaps they are not. But they are not doing it for the sake of it (as they did here in 2011) and appear not to be stopping because it suddenly starts to rain or a lot of police suddenly turn up (as happened here in 2011).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, which one?

Post #40
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they are. Perhaps they are not. But they are not doing it for the sake of it (as they did here in 2011) and appear not to be stopping because it suddenly starts to rain or a lot of police suddenly turn up (as happened here in 2011).

Ah they're just looting shops in Kiev ( if they are) to fill the time in between rioting then?

The point is that it is a riot against a democratically elected government in the Ukraine, which you seem unable to make a distinction between a riot here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah they're just looting shops in Kiev ( if they are) to fill the time in between rioting then?

The point is that it is a riot against a democratically elected government in the Ukraine, which you seem unable to make a distinction between a riot here.

No, it is you comparing their riot to what happened here in 2011. They are totally different as I explained.

It is you who doesn't get the distinction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it is you comparing their riot to what happened here in 2011. They are totally different as I explained.

It is you who doesn't get the distinction.

Simple comparison, a group of right wing rioters take over government buildings in London, break into armouries, steal guns and ammunition and then threaten the police sent to restore order.
    What would you expect the present Coalition to do?

(A) Use whatever means necessary including the army to restore order.

(B) capitulate to the rioters and call an election because a violent group say so.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to know the number of far Right protestors who are on the streets, and the influence they are having on others - and, indeed, what their particular goals are.

The media doesn't seem to be reporting this aspect of it now, whereas a few weeks back it was quite big, disquieting news.

If the far right protesters become persecuted will you uphold their right to seek asylum in the UK?