Most expensive cities in the world 2014, London not even top 10!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tuesday 04 March 2014

The island city of Singapore has been named the world’s most expensive city to live in, according to the latest data from a comprehensive study, while London did not even make the top 10.

The results from the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2014 Worldwide Cost of Living survey, released today, placed Singapore ahead of 130 other cities based on more than 400 different price indicators, from basic groceries to the cost of heating.

1. Singapore
2. Paris
3. Oslo
4. Zurich
5. Sydney
6. Caracas
7. Geneva
8. Melbourne
9. Tokyo
10. Copenhagen
15. London
26. NYC

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/top-10-most-expensive-cities-in-the-world-singapore-named-costliest-place-to-live-on-the-planet--but-what-about-london-9167514.html

So, we are not that expensive really. No need for Londoners to complain too much.

Comments

• TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    How is Caracas so high? is it based on local wages? Dirt cheap when i was there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is Caracas so high? is it based on local wages? Dirt cheap when i was there.

Hmm. I think it is used to gauge expat's allowances. So if Caracas is dangerous, then conceivably they would need to spend money on security and gated apartments. I read somewhere that the cost of living in Angola was high as this was the case.

From the above URL at The Independent:
    A typical one-bedroom apartment in the Venezuelan capital will cost two-and-half times that at £970 per month.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Hmm. I think it is used to gauge expat's allowances. So if Caracas is dangerous, then conceivably they would need to spend money on security and gated apartments. I read somewhere that the cost of living in Angola was high as this was the case.

Maybe ( it is dangerous, i can attest to that). Maybe it's the controls on foreign currency that make it seem expensive if translating hard currency at the official rates rather than on the street.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    So, we are not that expensive really. No need for Londoners to complain too much.

According to the same paper just three months ago London was the most expensive city to live in

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-comes-top-in-study-of-the-worlds-most-expensive-cities-to-live-in-9042233.html

In January it was the IPPR North think-tank, in March the Economist Intelligence Unit’s 2014 Worldwide Cost of Living survey
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However unless you regularly move between cities these difference are going to be invisible.
  • MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from Singapore at the weekend. The costs for running a car are ridiculous - a licence to own one costs about £40,000 for 10 years and import taxes are 150%. Beer is about £7 a pint too.

Looks like the Independent used a picture of the skyline that's over 5 years old...