Options

International Cricket - 2011-2012 Thread (Part 4)

1606162636466»

Comments

• Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    New Zealand already a wicket down in their 2nd innings. Oh dear
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    it is probably due to the fact, that the selectors have tried to get him sacked before but the BCCI overruled the panel.
    the selectors gave the threat to dhoni and the players after the test series that if they don't perform they will be out and BCCI can't save them, and it does seem that the BCCI have backed the decision, so dhoni has to perform or he is out, does explain his two recent innings where he knuckled down scored crucial runs.
    Kris Srikkanth and the former selectors have been saying some interesting things in the indian press, Dhoni was going to be sacked last year after the australian series but the decision was blocked by the BCCI president and team changes were also blocked, but it seem that the BCCI president has given the selectors power to make they own decision after the England series.

I said all this in a post a couple of weeks back. Dhoni was sacked by the selectors, but the BCCI overruled the decision. I think Dhoni should be in the test team, but not as captain.

It seems the usual politics overrules common sense when it comes to cricket in Pakistan and India. Take Pakistan for instance, winning and on a good run, so they sack the coach and get in Dav Whatmore??

Pakistan of to a good start, India 84/4 of 23 overs. Pakistan get 1 more wicket and they will be favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    Pakistan lost their way after a great start, India on 38-0 buy batting not easy. I must say Junaid looks a hell of a bowler, every time I see him he impresses me more.

Junaid came up with the likes of Aamir. Aamir was obviously the better bowler, being able to swing the bowl both ways. Junaid from what I remember reading could only swing it one way and he wasnt as fast as Aamir. Hopefully with experience and more coaching, he will be able to swing it both ways and add a few more mph to his speed. As long as he keeps his feet on the ground and not get carried away, he could be a valuable player for Pakistan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    New Zealand already a wicket down in their 2nd innings. Oh dear

Still only one down !. Great interview on 5Live yesterday between Peter Allen and Jeremy Coney. Peter asked him what went wrong today, and Jeremy in a totally deadpan voice replied " We didn't score enough runs "

He did add that New Zealand were 4 players short, with Ross Taylor , Vettorri, Southee and Jesse Ryder likely to return for the England games. But he did say that NZ cricket is in a total mess at the moment. I do hope that Coney ( who was the slowest medium pace bowler I have ever seen) will be broadcasting on one of the outlets, a very witty and informative commentator .
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Junaid came up with the likes of Aamir. Aamir was obviously the better bowler, being able to swing the bowl both ways. Junaid from what I remember reading could only swing it one way and he wasnt as fast as Aamir. Hopefully with experience and more coaching, he will be able to swing it both ways and add a few more mph to his speed. As long as he keeps his feet on the ground and not get carried away, he could be a valuable player for Pakistan.

Thanks. He's a potential leader of an attack that's for sure. Pakistan slowly squeezing the life out of India who can't get them off the square. Only some Dhoni magic can get India out of this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Still only one down !. Great interview on 5Live yesterday between Peter Allen and Jeremy Coney. Peter asked him what went wrong today, and Jeremy in a totally deadpan voice replied " We didn't score enough runs "

He did add that New Zealand were 4 players short, with Ross Taylor , Vettorri, Southee and Jesse Ryder likely to return for the England games. But he did say that NZ cricket is in a total mess at the moment. I do hope that Coney ( who was the slowest medium pace bowler I have ever seen) will be broadcasting on one of the outlets, a very witty and informative commentator .

I'm sure Coney usually commentates on all England v NZ series. Like you I appreciate his knowledge and very dry wit and yes I remember his bowling too. With those 4 players missing they're no better than a county side but I still expect us to beat them comfortably.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    some interesting discussion in the indian media today.
    http://cricketnext.in.com/live/videos/70343/is-it-time-to-change-team-india.html
    http://cricketnext.in.com/live/videos/70340/team-india-surrendered-in-a-big-way-today-srikkanth.html
    http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/videos/?video_id=260603

does look like Sehwag, Gambhir days looks numbered, with Dhoni likely to lose the captaincy as well.
    Ganguly has become the favorite to become the next indian coach, be interesting to see if they change the team after Fletcher goes at march or before then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Saw the highlights to the game yesterday. Some good work by Pakistan. Hafeez had a great game with 76 at a run a ball and then bowled 1/29 of his 10 overs. Junaid caused problems as did Ajmal. The bowlers pulled it back for India, however the batsman let them down again. However this was mainly due to some excellent Pakistan bowling. Akmals catch to get Kholi out was amazing he flew the air like superman, way down the legside and caught the bowl. He also carried out a couple of sharp stumpings. He does seemed to have improved his keeping.

Not sure getting rid of Flethcher is the answer. Hes not a bad coach, hes proved that in the past.

The problem is the players, they dont seem to want to play. For me the IPL is to blame. Whilst its made players very rich, the national team has suffered. Turning the Indian test team from number 1 team in the world, to somewhat of a joke in less than 2 years. My solution, keep the IPL, make it smaller, so there are less games, and slash the salaries. For players playing for the national team has to be more lucrative than what is effectively a marketing exercise with some cricket. Once playing for the national team is more lucrative, players be willing to give it their all. At the moment players are taking time out from the national team to ensure they are ready for the IPL. Which to me, just highlights the problem. Pakistan, SA and England have very few or no players in the IPL, yet they have been improving over the last 24 months...coincidence?
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    Saw the highlights to the game yesterday. Some good work by Pakistan. Hafeez had a great game with 76 at a run a ball and then bowled 1/29 of his 10 overs. Junaid caused problems as did Ajmal. The bowlers pulled it back for India, however the batsman let them down again. However this was mainly due to some excellent Pakistan bowling. Akmals catch to get Kholi out was amazing he flew the air like superman, way down the legside and caught the bowl. He also carried out a couple of sharp stumpings. He does seemed to have improved his keeping.

Not sure getting rid of Flethcher is the answer. Hes not a bad coach, hes proved that in the past.

The problem is the players, they dont seem to want to play. For me the IPL is to blame. Whilst its made players very rich, the national team has suffered. Turning the Indian test team from number 1 team in the world, to somewhat of a joke in less than 2 years. My solution, keep the IPL, make it smaller, so there are less games, and slash the salaries. For players playing for the national team has to be more lucrative than what is effectively a marketing exercise with some cricket. Once playing for the national team is more lucrative, players be willing to give it their all. At the moment players are taking time out from the national team to ensure they are ready for the IPL. Which to me, just highlights the problem. Pakistan, SA and England have very few or no players in the IPL, yet they have been improving over the last 24 months...coincidence?

Agree with pretty much all of that about IPL...

IPL is a case of diminishing returns and almost self-consuming. I think generally you still need players making their 'name' in the test / international arena outside India to make IPL what is has become, and I don't just mean Indian fans.

Ok there is the odd player like Pollard who was a highly sought after player before he'd really done anything with the WI (and still hasn't got a great record) but he is an exception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also agree the IPL is the root cause of India's problems. Until the majority of their players realise its a stupid hit & giggle tournament that pays stupid money the better.

Watching Kamran Ammal keep wicket yesterday was interesting. A brilliant catch and an excellent stumping to remove Raina but still he does the basics badly. He must drive his coaches insane for those reasons as he is potentially a really good keeper if he'd cut out the brainfarts.

You'd think after all this time Yuvraj would've worked on his weakness against the short ball. The Pakistan bowlers had a clear plan to bowl him a bouncer every over and to be frank he looked terrified. I hope our bowlers were watching as they should be able to use the same plans.
  • Options
    Forum Member

IPL is a case of diminishing returns and almost self-consuming. I think generally you still need players making their 'name' in the test / international arena outside India to make IPL what is has become, and I don't just mean Indian fans.

Ok there is the odd player like Pollard who was a highly sought after player before he'd really done anything with the WI (and still hasn't got a great record) but he is an exception.
    exactly i would keep the ipl wage structure as it is, they could probably shorten the tournament to 5 weeks, but again 7 weeks tournament really shouldn't make a difference, the ipl is only played for 7 weeks of the year, where the rest is being used for test cricket and one day cricket.
    also if you talking in money terms, the indian players will earn more playing international cricket then IPL, for the indian players to earn the big buck in the ipl, they will have to be selected to play for india, and the sponsorship deal included within the indian international team is far greater than the money earned during the IPL.
    the issue is that the players are using their sponsor and their income to guarantee their places in the team, Sehwag, Gambhir, Dhoni and many more are safe in the team because of this.
    the ipl allow the ranji trophy players to get paid really well, and cricket is now seen as a good job prospect, a lot of the ranji cricketer in the past were semi professional but now they can afford to become professional.

Personally I don't think the IPL is to the blame for the debacle of the indian cricket team, it is the senior player not performing for what ever reason and then using their power, to stay in the team.
    Stats will show that the player performing for india in the last 18 months have all been youngsters.
    test centuries in the past 18 months for india.
    3 Pujara
    3 kohli
    1 Sehwag
    1 Ashwin and 1 90 not out.:D
    Odi centuries shows the same thing with kohli leading the way.

IPL has been used to blame the debacle, and it is being used as a scrape goat when the actual reason is getting covered up, unless india drop the senior players and have the situation where the players are picked on merit and not on reputation and the money they provide, India will continue to lose, whether the ipl exist or not.
    been saying for long time, that the younger players will do far better then the senior players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    also the arrogance of the players and the board is shocking.
    after the 8-0 whitewashes, they all had the impression that india would win the home games and everything would be fine.
    all the international player were heard saying that they will beat england and australia at home, and they should be allowed to prepare rank turner at home since the opposition were preparing green tops.
    Can't believe that one journalist in England would actually take over the minds of the indian team and the board because of one article.:D
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/594722.html
    It's not that we get exposed when we go abroad. Every country is used to its own conditions, whether it is England, South Africa, Australia… so they tend to play better in home conditions, which is what we also do. You don't see the media in those other countries really berating their players for not doing well [abroad]. One has to recognise the advantage of home conditions, and this applies across the board. So I don't think we should run down our players by saying we did not do well abroad. Other teams don't do well when they come to India. In the past we have had teams that have done well both here and abroad, when players were possibly younger.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

and david Warner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Afrivca crush NZ by an innings and 27 runs. Watching Jeetan Patel running from Dale Steyn wasn't a pleasant sight, I'd drop him and put him on the 1st flight home. As for Chris Martins run out not the finest 10 minutes of cricket you'll ever see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    more reaction of india dismal performances in the last 18 months.
    http://cricketnext.in.com/live/videos/70360/whats-the-way-forward-for-indian-team.html
    Good to see the indian media not blaming it on the IPL, apart from the NDTV crew, most of them are actually blaming it on the senior players and taking their places for granted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/569116.html
    IPL doesn't pay the most to the indian players, it is international cricket that pays the indians the most, if MS Dhoni, the seniors players want to maximize their earning or any indian players they need to have a successful career in international cricket, yes ordinary indian will earn more then players from other countries, but that is a good thing, it helps the indian economy and no one should ever get jealous of people earning money, especially in the subcontinent where the players don't get anything when they retire and most of the cricketer are usually poor.
    Dhoni earn more money then rooney, Usain Bolt and other famous sports people.
    Dhoni earned 26.5 million US dollers, with 23 million on Endorsement Fees and 3.5 million on wages, and most of it was due to playing for india not because of IPL.

but the bad form for india has hit India players and BCCI very hard, with income dropping.
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/Cricket/CricketNews/Defeats-devalue-Brand-Dhoni-Yuvraj-Kohli-escape-unscathed/Article1-985138.aspx

look like Rooney and Co will earn more then Dhoni next year in the Forbes List. LOL
    http://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-england-2012/news/item/201471-senior-batsmen-under-scanner-as-cheteshwar-pujara-set-for-odi-call-up
    Disappointed that Rohit Sharma Might get the boot, looks like he may become the next Mark Ramprakash:mad:
    one of Sehwag and Gambhir will be dropped, most likely Sehwag, Gambhir is still a good One day player, Sehwag has always been poor on the ODI format and has always said he enjoys the test format more then the ODI format or T20 format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been reading on cricinfo app that Delhi has been experiencing daytime temperatures of 5 degrees which surprised our boys when they trained today. Also Dharamsala (spelling?) is due to hold one of the ODI's and temperatures currently veer between minus 6 and 6 degrees. I'm guessing that'll be a win the toss and bowl first.:D

I guess the Indian squad won't be finalised till after the final ODI against Pakistan but I expect the team to make changes. There's one thing losing a test series to us, another thing entirely losing to your nearest and dearest.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    I've just been reading on cricinfo app that Delhi has been experiencing daytime temperatures of 5 degrees which surprised our boys when they trained today. Also Dharamsala (spelling?) is due to hold one of the ODI's and temperatures currently veer between minus 6 and 6 degrees. I'm guessing that'll be a win the toss and bowl first.:D

I guess the Indian squad won't be finalised till after the final ODI against Pakistan but I expect the team to make changes. There's one thing losing a test series to us, another thing entirely losing to your nearest and dearest.:eek:
    Let's just say there's a chance of play getting stopped for snow in dharamsala, imagine if the game was a day nighter which it was originally, it will be freezing, india will most likely name 2 squads for the odi, the first with few changes and the final one depending on the performances of the first few odi. Looks like bcci has finally given power to the selectors and coaches after its income is under threat. I will post pictures of snowy dharamsala tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pakistan lost the final match. They should have won it but a combination of poor batting and poor umpiring cost Pakistan. A great series win for Pakistan, not something I expected at the start of the series. I would have taken a 2-1 series win before the start of the series.

As others have said India will need to make changes, for the England OD series. Will have to see what they are. It seems Sehwag has been dropped. I would also include Yuvraj in that. Not really done much this series, and needs to make way for younger players. On form, only Dhoni and Rainia and the bowlers deserve to keep their place. Kholi, Shewag, Ghambir, Yuvraj have all had a very bad series. To put it into perspective, Jamshed in one innings scored 106 runs. Sehwag, Ghambir, Yuvraj and Kholi in the whole series managed 116 between them.

There also seems to be a very biased man of the match panel in operation during the series. Jamshed should have won in it in the first match with a match winnings 101no. However it was given to Dhoni (113no). In the third match, Dhoni won it for scoring 36, whilst Ajmal took 5/24 in 9.4 overs.

Pakistan next matches are against SA, in SA. That will test us, and will show how far we have come. Looking forward to what hopefully will be a close series.

In other news, Warne has been banned for one match after his altercation with Marlon Samuels. Seems things got quite heated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't Drop Yuvraj for the england series, but he is one of the players with the question mark though, especially with Jadeja in good form with the ball, his role as the a 5th bowlers is not needed now, but yuvraj is still a good batsman to have at 5 or 6.

And why would india drop Kohli, Gambhir and Raina from the team when they all have good records in the ODI format, and Kohli was the highest runs scorer for india, for 2 years in a row, he averages 50+, in the format, one bad series doesn't mean he should be dropped.

india needs to find the balance of keeping the same players and also dropping the players not performing, if you are gonna drop players after one bad series, then india will go no where, they made a good decision of dropping one senior player and the all the players know that India has to start winning and the players needs to perform or they will be dropped during the series, the squad is only named for the first 3 ODIS, so if india loses the series or the players are still not performing, they will be dropped.

Also you got to remember this was yuvraj singh first 3 ODi since his return from cancer, so it is likely india will give him some time to recover his form, especially with him being a vital member of the side.

the only player That is got a big question mark of their place it is Gambhir ?

Also we should continue this discussion on the new thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd definately have Yuvraj in there for one dayers at home, his demolition of Ajmal in the T20 shows what he is capable of in the limited overs game. As for India generally while the team is in transition they will have to suck up some tough results - it really should have been a 3-0 whitewash against Pakistan in the ODIs, when all time greats start retiring it hits you hard, look at Australia they've never recovered from the loss of Warne/ McGrath for example.