Options

The Big Holby City Thread (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    So George, why can't Zosia leave her personal feelings for Guy aside? One could argue he has done less to hurt her than Dominic has Digby.

O don't always like Digby's attitudes and perhaps if we'd had weeks of him persecuting Dominic whilst Dominic was behaving properly i'd agree with you but we haven't. It was one day, when Digby was understandably (imo) taken aback by his reappearance and Dominic within that day, showed his powers of manipulation by implying Malick seduced and used him (when dom was an equal party and possibly more the aggressor) and brushing the fact that he lied under oath about Malick's professional actions so tried to destroy his career and possibly land him a prison sentence under the carpet. And the comment about the hand was just spiteful. Dominic lied pre-meditated about Malick on purpose to hurt him as revenge, Digby made a split second choice to save his life and will carry the question marks and guilt over his actions and the consequences for the rest of his life. There is no comparison.

I would like to think i'd be professional but if someone had done even to a colleague I had no personal relationship with like mentor or friend, let alone one that I did have that personal connection with, what Dom did to Malick, I would be as distrustful and open in my dislike as Digby. I think i'd be letting my wronged colleague and friend down not to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As Wiggles says, I know it is an easy answer but we wouldn't actually have a show if everyone just kept personal, person" and stayed professional all the time. Plus, Dom has shown he will lie professionally to get personal revenge so who started the unprofessionalism?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    O don't always like Digby's attitudes and perhaps if we'd had weeks of him persecuting Dominic whilst Dominic was behaving properly i'd agree with you but we haven't. It was one day, when Digby was understandably (imo) taken aback by his reappearance and Dominic within that day, showed his powers of manipulation by implying Malick seduced and used him (when dom was an equal party and possibly more the aggressor) and brushing the fact that he lied under oath about Malick's professional actions so tried to destroy his career and possibly land him a prison sentence under the carpet. And the comment about the hand was just spiteful. Dominic lied pre-meditated about Malick on purpose to hurt him as revenge, Digby made a split second choice to save his life and will carry the question marks and guilt over his actions and the consequences for the rest of his life. There is no comparison.

Well said. It's as if the writers couldn't wait to get to the point where two characters can have a confrontation that might normally occur after several weeks. So WHAM! Into the first day it goes.

As an aside, I really don't get the Digby/Zosia fling thing. He's The Nerd who can't get a girl, she can pretty much take her pick. It's rather baffling that she uses him for no-strings-sex. Surely that's what the likes of Harry are for?
  • Options
    george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    WSurely that's what the likes of Harry are for?

Does Zosia know Harry? I don't recall them having any scenes together. I know that in a drama it seems like everyone knows each other, but when you think about it, they work on different wards, I don't remember them ever having any association with each other. I think they probably don't know each other - or if they do, it's probably just mild acquaintance level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does Zosia know Harry? I don't recall them having any scenes together. I know that in a drama it seems like everyone knows each other, but when you think about it, they work on different wards, I don't remember them ever having any association with each other. I think they probably don't know each other - or if they do, it's probably just mild acquaintance level.

Well she pounced on Digby as soon as they met - she could pounce on anyone at the hospital or Albies Bar etc. Bless him, but Digby isn't someone I'd be desperate to get naked with if I were her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe Digby is attractive to her because she thinks she can manipulate him easily (which so far she seems to be able to), he is a nice guy and inexperienced so unlikely to hurt her and as she said on NYE, he is very convenient.

Besides you know the old saying, the desperate or grateful try harder? Harry is the type to be lazy because he thinks any girl is lucky to have him and also will move on to the next conquest whenever he feels the urge.

Basically, she call the shots with Digby, less likely to be able to with lHarry and perhaps a lot of other men.
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digby should be able to relax in his own home, that is his on personel space. Who ever moved in should have been agreed by both and knowing how Digby felt about Dominic and it would make him feel uncomfortable she still asked him to move in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    millysshaw wrote: »
    Digby should be able to relax in his own home, that is his on personel space. Who ever moved in should have been agreed by both and knowing how Digby felt about Dominic and it would make him feel uncomfortable she still asked him to move in.

Yes, but we're again in the realms of sacrificing realism for plotline. It suits to have Digby be such a wimp that he allows this to happen. Don't forget, he dithered over Channers until she decided she knew she wanted a new start. Pretty much Zosia just walks all over him because she knows she can. If she was a bloke, she'd be being called a player. Digby was under the illusion that sex meant a relationship - he may be a doctor but he hasn't the first clue about adult relationships. Remember the boyfriend/girlfriend thing with Chantelle (Sunday name now so I'm not repeating myself)?

The whole Dom moving in scenario is basically Zosia's answer to the practicalities of a three-way share as opposed to a two-way and I think she's gone for Dom because she obviously thinks he'd be fun (gay stereotyping not withstanding) as a mechanism for coping with her feelings towards her father.

It'll come unstuck (the flat share) pretty soon one way or another, you can be sure of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    Yes, but we're again in the realms of sacrificing realism for plotline

This is true - and Holby doesn't usually do this which is why I watch it. I hope it's just a duff episode and not a trend or I'll just give up.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Another interview with Simon Harper (courtesy of holby.tv) - isn't a whole lot different from his previous one (and no real spoilers either) but if you're interested.....

http://www.holby.tv/holby-series-producer-interview/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few hours ago, I spent a very long time reloading the iPLayer link to this week's episode, thinking 'Come on!' - then I remembered it's only Monday!
  • Options
    colincatcolincat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Louise-ann wrote: »
    He is still there!

The credits do look empty, but I think it's time we went back to the credits without the character faces.

Thank you - it was me then.
  • Options
    colincatcolincat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Well she pounced on Digby as soon as they met - she could pounce on anyone at the hospital or Albies Bar etc. Bless him, but Digby isn't someone I'd be desperate to get naked with if I were her.

Have you seen him in the first opening scenes of the first episode of Game of Thrones. He is a Black Guard (I think that's what they are called. Miles away from Digby!
  • Options
    scotsgal21scotsgal21 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Holby Day :)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air..
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Five mins in a Zosia is being a bitch as usual!.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this CF patient watching Call the Midwife?
  • Options
    acfacf Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    How on earth does that nurse get away with purple hair everywhere, ear-rings and all that contraption in her hair ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, so we get to the truth of why Jac doesn't want to be at Emma's surgery. She doesn't want to watch her die.

Dominic is a real ++++. Digby is crossing a line with his holding the grudge (fine to not like and trust him given the history but don't make it so obvious and turn the Ward into a war zone) but Dominic is playing dirty and i'm rather disappointed that Sacha hasn't at least considered that possibility and to invest some trust in Digby - who has done much more to deserve it that Dom.

I wonder if Mo is suddenly going to be on AAU for consuls just so they can shoe horn scenes with her and Adele in? She is there in the promo picture i've seen for next week as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this weeks episode. I can see myself changing my mind about Dominic and growing to like him, as long as he and Digby are done with their petty squabbling

I've really warmed to Adele too although after seeing it pointed out on here I can't shake the fact she used to be Naomi in Eastenders :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've managed to get over the Naomi thing very quickly but I think that is because she seems quite different (her vocal intonation for one thing) and also I keep in mind that Naomi wasn't actually badly acted - she just got stuck with a dreadful plot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not a bad episode. Even Jonny didn't annoy me as much as usual (although I loved Jac's 'She's a baby, not a parrot' line)! I thought Jac was incredible. She managed to be there for her daughter, and treat a patient at the same time - and I actually really liked Jac's bond with the patient's girlfriend. I don't usually like it when they have patients and relatives who are clearly only there to make the staff realise something about themselves, but on this occasion it worked quite well. I don't understand why people say that Jac doesn't have very good people skills - I think that she has incredible people skills! The way that she persuaded Robbie to have that surgery when Elliot hadn't succeeded in years proved that. She's thoroughly unpatronising - I would completely trust her were I a patient, I think.

Arthur and Dominic were both pretty bad, but generally I think that Dominic was slightly better. He got rid of the tests that Arthur ordered (which was unacceptable, and if I had been Zosia I would have told Sacha about that) but other than that, I think he generally behaved much more professionally than Arthur. Arthur is possibly the worst medical professional I have ever seen on this show. He can diagnose, but he can't work with people, he can't connect with patients on any level, he lets personal relationships with staff get in the way (previously Chantelle and now Dominic), he's not a team player, and he's so arrogant he always believes his opinions to be right (I recall there was an occasion where he thoroughly ignored what Sharon had instructed about how to level with a patient because he believed the patient to be getting too close to Chantelle, and the results were disastrous.) The only thing that I have seen him be good for is being a diagnostician (albeit an astonishingly good diagnostician). On everything else, I just find him really dreadful, and not a team player at all. Sacha handled him well, I thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Dominic is a real ++++. Digby is crossing a line with his holding the grudge (fine to not like and trust him given the history but don't make it so obvious and turn the Ward into a war zone) but Dominic is playing dirty and i'm rather disappointed that Sacha hasn't at least considered that possibility and to invest some trust in Digby - who has done much more to deserve it that Dom.

Has he? What has he done to deserve it?
  • Options
    Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a bad episode. Even Jonny didn't annoy me as much as usual (although I loved Jac's 'She's a baby, not a parrot' line)! I thought Jac was incredible. She managed to be there for her daughter, and treat a patient at the same time - and I actually really liked Jac's bond with the patient's girlfriend. I don't usually like it when they have patients and relatives who are clearly only there to make the staff realise something about themselves, but on this occasion it worked quite well. I don't understand why people say that Jac doesn't have very good people skills - I think that she has incredible people skills! The way that she persuaded Robbie to have that surgery when Elliot hadn't succeeded in years proved that. She's thoroughly unpatronising - I would completely trust her were I a patient, I think.

All she needs to do now is walk on water [without falling and ending up with a walking stick like the last time] and she'd be in line for a Damehood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All she needs to do now is walk on water [without falling and ending up with a walking stick like the last time] and she'd be in line for a Damehood.

Dame Jac... yeah, has a ring to it. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.