League One thread 2014-15

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
Forum Member
✭✭
With the fixtures out on Wednesday, now is a good time to start the League One thread. How do you think your team will do this season? I think County will have a slightly more comfortable time in mid table this season after our Great Escape in May.
My predictions for top 6 and relegation are as follows;

1. Sheff Utd
2. Preston

3. Barnsley
4. Leyton Orient (P)
5. Peterborough
6. Bristol City

21. Yeovil
22. Crewe
23. Chesterfield
24. Rochdale

Will predict the full table nearer to the start of the season

Comments

• familyguy8904familyguy8904 Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 years, 18 years that how long Oldham have been in this division when new season kick off in August.

It too early to predicted where teams may finish but I don't think Chesterfield and Rochdale will finish in bottom 4 as I think them two along with Fleetwood may have good season and finish in mid table.
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Stevenage fan, I think we'll...

... Oh, yeah.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Oldham will kick off new season at Colchester and then we got two home matches against Leyton Orient and Port Vale follow by Preston and Doncaster (both away matches) I think Oldham could get 7 points from first 3 matches but may lose to Preston and Doncaster as I think both of them will do well next season (2014/15 season)

Watch out for 13th December and 7th February as this will be date when Oldham play Yeovil which mean is son against father (Lee Johnson v Gary Johnson)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Oldham will kick off new season at Colchester and then we got two home matches against Leyton Orient and Port Vale follow by Preston and Doncaster (both away matches) I think Oldham could get 7 points from first 3 matches but may lose to Preston and Doncaster as I think both of them will do well next season (2014/15 season)

Watch out for 13th December and 7th February as this will be date when Oldham play Yeovil which mean is son against father (Lee Johnson v Gary Johnson)

We start the season at Preston which will be tricky and I would rather a home game:cry: but Preston is one of my favourite away days

Looking forward to beating Oldhm on 20th September and 31st January
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has your team made many signings yet? While County now have a great manager in Derry, we have lost players and haven't replaced them yet
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any League one fans come to Oldham ground this season remember it not called Boundary park it called Sportsdirect.com park (I don't understand park at end) this is because Sports direct is new partnership at Oldham and in deal they're something to rename stadium name to Sports direct.

Also if you do come to Latics ground between Dec and May you will see new stand at Boundary park (sorry Sportdirect.com park) opened.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cov looks set for another season in northampton, kills the buzz for me, wins all seem numb

we look likely to sell league ones best striker wilson to norwich or bournemouth too :(

on bright side we have 2 new wingers in o brien and swanson so hopefully we can keep up dream of a playoff spot. unlikely though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awful news for Notts as Jimmy Spencer is out for the season with cruciate ligament damage

We lost 3-1 at Mansfield today and I've heard that we were absolutely dreadful
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I bump this thread up with season starting in 6 days time.

If Oldham don't sign anymore players before Saturday I be happy with players we got as lee Johnson have made some good signing and I think we may have good season, in pre-season Oldham have won 4 (including win against Newcastle) draw 2 and lost 1 so they heading into season with good form.

My top 6 predicted.

Preston
    Sheff Utd
    Bristol City
    Barnsley
    Peterborough
    Notts County

Yeah County as I think they may surprise people this season.

Bottom 4 (in no order)

Crewe
    Gillingham
    Colchester
    Scunthorpe

I think Scunthorpe may go back down knowing people will probably think they will finish mid table.
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the end of last season I was confidant of promotion with Sheffield United taking 1st or 2nd but given the fact we've not got a decent striker and Harry Maguire went to Dull City, I think we're going to flirt with the payoffs at best.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    Preston
    Orient
    Sheffield United

Think those 3 will go up with Barnsley, Bristol City and Posh in the play-offs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Preston
    Orient
    Sheffield United

Only two go up in the auto spots, so knock Sheff Utd out all together as we never do it in the playoffs. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I bump this thread up with season starting in 6 days time.

If Oldham don't sign anymore players before Saturday I be happy with players we got as lee Johnson have made some good signing and I think we may have good season, in pre-season Oldham have won 4 (including win against Newcastle) draw 2 and lost 1 so they heading into season with good form.

My top 6 predicted.

Preston
    Sheff Utd
    Bristol City
    Barnsley
    Peterborough
    Notts County

Yeah County as I think they may surprise people this season.

Bottom 4 (in no order)

Crewe
    Gillingham
    Colchester
    Scunthorpe

I think Scunthorpe may go back down knowing people will probably think they will finish mid table.

Thank you. While we have lost quite a few of last season's heroes, we have made some good signings and I don't think we will struggle. I will predict the full table on Thursday or Friday

Scunthorpe are the only team out of your predict bottom 4 who I don't think will struggle. The other 3 teams are all pretty dire
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    Only two go up in the auto spots, so knock Sheff Utd out all together as we never do it in the playoffs. :D

Yes - luck has to change at some point.

I guess there will be pressure on Clough now after the way he turned your season around..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - luck has to change at some point.

I guess there will be pressure on Clough now after the way he turned your season around..

The board and fans have the upmost respect and confidence in Cloughie but I don't think there is as much pressure as expected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 more days until County start the new season at Preston! I am very excited for this season which is shown by the fact that I have brought a County shirt for the first time in a few years. Even though I am reasonably optomistic for this season, Preston is a difficult opening match and I think we will lose 2-1 :(

Here is the whole of our August;

9th - Preston (A)
    16th - Fleetwood (H)
    19th - Colchester (H)
    23rd - Port Vale (A)
    31st - Bristol City (H)

This season League One will be really wide open, and here is my predicted table. Feel free to dispute any predictions I make

1. Sheff Utd
    2. Preston

3. Peterborough
    4. Bristol City
    5. Leyton Orient (P)
    6. Bradford

7. MK Dons
    8. Barnsley
    9. Oldham
    10. Walsall
    11. Doncaster
    12. Fleetwood
    13. Swindon
    14. Notts County (will be happy with that)
    15. Coventry
    16. Scunthorpe
    17. Chesterfield
    18. Port Vale
    19. Crawley
    20. Colchester

21. Gillingham
    22. Yeovil
    23. Crewe
    24. Rochdale
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of last season I was confidant of promotion with Sheffield United taking 1st or 2nd but given the fact we've not got a decent striker and Harry Maguire went to Dull City, I think we're going to flirt with the payoffs at best.

As a fellow Blade I agree that our best first eleven is weaker than last season but the squad as a whole is undoubtedly better. I realise some are criticizing Clough somewhat for buying quantity over quality but I can see why he has done this. It's a long, long season and you need two teams to gain promotion. We can now put out two sides that would be comfortable in this league and I think Clough has learned from how knackered we looked at the end of last season. We have enough options everywhere on the pitch now for that not to be the case. We pretty much relied on the same 14 players last season. We now have genuine options

It was interesting to hear Clough say he was aiming to be in the top 6 by Christmas. I think he fancies that the depth of our squad will be better than most and thinking that will give us the edge towards the end of the season

I also think Higdon could prove to be a good signing. He was Scottish player of the season just two years ago and scored 14 in the Dutch league last season for a team that went down.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Nottingham Forest sign Peterborough star player from last season Britt Assombalonga for £5.5M, do anyone else think that may harm Peterborough chances of going up this season if they don't buy good striker?

Happy to see football season starting tomorrow (knowing it be Tuesday until I see Oldham in action) I hope Oldham can get off good start and continued their unbeaten run which Latics haven't lost in league since March 11th, I do think Oldham can beat Colchester just like they did four months ago when they won 1-0 and I think that will be scoreline for tomorrow match.

My predicted for tomorrow games.

Barnsley 2-0 Crawley
    Bradford 1-1 Coventry
    Colchester 0-1 Oldham
    Fleetwood 3-0 Crewe
    Leyton Orient 1-0 Chesterfield
    MK Dons 2-1 Gillingham
    Port Vale 2-2 Walsall
    Preston 2-0 Notts County
    Rochdale 1-1 Peterborough
    Sheff Utd 1-0 Bristol City
    Swindon 1-1 Scunthorpe
    Yeovil 0-0 Doncaster
  • Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    2 more days until County start the new season at Preston! I am very excited for this season which is shown by the fact that I have brought a County shirt for the first time in a few years. Even though I am reasonably optomistic for this season, Preston is a difficult opening match and I think we will lose 2-1 :(

Here is the whole of our August;

9th - Preston (A)
    16th - Fleetwood (H)
    19th - Colchester (H)
    23rd - Port Vale (A)
    31st - Bristol City (H)

This season League One will be really wide open, and here is my predicted table. Feel free to dispute any predictions I make

1. Sheff Utd
    2. Preston

3. Peterborough
    4. Bristol City
    5. Leyton Orient (P)
    6. Bradford

7. MK Dons
    8. Barnsley
    9. Oldham
    10. Walsall
    11. Doncaster
    12. Fleetwood
    13. Swindon
    14. Notts County (will be happy with that)
    15. Coventry
    16. Scunthorpe
    17. Chesterfield
    18. Port Vale
    19. Crawley
    20. Colchester

21. Gillingham
    22. Yeovil
    23. Crewe
    24. Rochdale

Unless we add some depth to our squad as well as some wide options then there is little chance that we will finish 6th.

I suspect we will be anywhere between 16th-10th as our defense is solid. If we have bad luck with injuries however we will struggle as our squad is far too small
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preston
    Orient
    Sheffield United

And neither does Danny Wilson...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that was dire. We need a pacey striker, Higdon was unfit, has a great first touch but needs someone to play off him. Once we got back into the game to make it 1-1 we could and should have took a 3-1 lead into HT. Bristol were nothing special, took both goals well but they love to waste time (at 0-0 first 15 mins).

Anything can happen on the first game but we need to improve.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that was dire. We need a pacey striker, Higdon was unfit, has a great first touch but needs someone to play off him. Once we got back into the game to make it 1-1 we could and should have took a 3-1 lead into HT. Bristol were nothing special, took both goals well but they love to waste time (at 0-0 first 15 mins).

Don't fret, you will!

Let me give you a couple of results from League One on the opening day of the season 5 years ago:

Norwich City 1 Colchester Utd 7
    Gillingham 5 Swindon Town 0

What happened come May 2010? Norwich won the League 1 title at a hack canter, Gillingham were relegated and Swindon reached the play-off final.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gareth1984 wrote: »
    Unless we add some depth to our squad as well as some wide options then there is little chance that we will finish 6th.

I suspect we will be anywhere between 16th-10th as our defense is solid. If we have bad luck with injuries however we will struggle as our squad is far too small

Trust me, Sheehan and Liddle are great League One players. You got a great win today against Coventry

County drew 1-1 at Preston which was frustrating as Preston scored an equaliser in the 89th minute. However, Preston would have won comfortably if it wasn't for Roy Caro in goal for us. It was a great finish by Jake Cassidy to put us in front as well

Sheff Wed away in League Cup on Tuesday now before home games against Fleetwood and Colchester
  • Gareth1984Gareth1984 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Trust me, Sheehan and Liddle are great League One players. You got a great win today against Coventry

Ive no doubts that our first 11 is good enough however our squad is currently lacking depth. If we have a miracle run with injuries we could finish in the top 6 but mid table is more likely with the squad we have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a fellow Blade I agree that our best first eleven is weaker than last season but the squad as a whole is undoubtedly better. I realise some are criticizing Clough somewhat for buying quantity over quality but I can see why he has done this. It's a long, long season and you need two teams to gain promotion. We can now put out two sides that would be comfortable in this league and I think Clough has learned from how knackered we looked at the end of last season. We have enough options everywhere on the pitch now for that not to be the case. We pretty much relied on the same 14 players last season. We now have genuine options

It was interesting to hear Clough say he was aiming to be in the top 6 by Christmas. I think he fancies that the depth of our squad will be better than most and thinking that will give us the edge towards the end of the season

I also think Higdon could prove to be a good signing. He was Scottish player of the season just two years ago and scored 14 in the Dutch league last season for a team that went down.
    And neither does Danny Wilson...

Don't fret, you will!

Let me give you a couple of results from League One on the opening day of the season 5 years ago:

Norwich City 1 Colchester Utd 7
    Gillingham 5 Swindon Town 0

What happened come May 2010? Norwich won the League 1 title at a hack canter, Gillingham were relegated and Swindon reached the play-off final.
    Gareth1984 wrote: »
    Ive no doubts that our first 11 is good enough however our squad is currently lacking depth. If we have a miracle run with injuries we could finish in the top 6 but mid table is more likely with the squad we have.

Sheff Utd fans are panicking to soon, you lost to Bristol City who will be very good this year. Campbell-Ryce is a good signing for you as while he won't start regularly, he is a good option on the wing

Armagideon Time; why do you hate Danny Wilson so much? Admitedly he will probably be sacked by Christmas but you regularly comment on how bad he is

Gareth; was that Bradford's first opening day win since beating us in 2008? I know you didn't win on the first day in 2009! Also, what do you think of Thompson and Jones who we've signed from you?