Government plans rely on another private debt splurge

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Lost in the small print of the government's autumn statement is an expectation that household debt levels will rise back to about 180% GDP in the next five years. That's even higher than thy were in 2007 before the crash.........

This is partly about mortgages - higher house prices means more lending for mortgages but the government is also relying on an increase in unsecured lending - i.e credit cards. This will get us nowhere since the debts will have to be repaid and they aren't going on anything useful - not investment but simply increasing asset prices. This won't achieve anything. What's more, when the government can itself borrow money at rock bottom interest rates it insists the burden of risk be shouldered by individuals. This is profoundlyimmoral and probably won't work. The government was relying on a similar debt splurge in 2010 and it never materialised. I suspect his won't work either since the Bank of England is going to pull the rug from under Help To Sell, sorry Buy.

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The government have nothing left, the direction they went in has assured that.

"Low-wage economy", surely an oxymoron as applied to the UK economy which needs people to have spending power not dependent on debt.

I think what confused some people is the amazing self-confidence shown by those in government, a wrong conclusion was drawn that such confident people must know what they are doing.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Private debt is set to surge further because the root cause of the problem has not been touched. I have said it 1000 times on here but until we ditch the fractional reserve ponzi scheme and reform the way money is created, we are doomed to lurch from boom to bust until the ultimate collapse of the whole damn thing.

The trouble is, there isn't a political party out there with the will to tackle the root cause as they all prefer window dressing over actual solutions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private debt is set to surge further because the root cause of the problem has not been touched. I have said it 1000 times on here but until we ditch the fractional reserve ponzi scheme and reform the way money is created, we are doomed to lurch from boom to bust until the ultimate collapse of the whole damn thing.

The trouble is, there isn't a political party out there with the will to tackle the root cause as they all prefer window dressing over actual solutions.

Nail. Head.

This post should be a sticky post at the top every single thread about the economy and every single page of that thread on here.

No economic system will work until this gets sorted out, once this is sorted out, then we (as in everybody everywhere) can have an actual meaningful debate about which economic system we use, which might actually lead somewhere.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Excellent point (and good for my education cheers - after your post i'm now fully read up on fractional reserving).

On a more simplistic level i was rather disappointed that yet again our recovery is to be based around huge levels of personal debt and our government both requiring & stimulating large house price inflation. Because its not like these are the first two factors required to create a boom & bust economy or anything! .....whilst the banks make obscene profits. Again. >:(
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in power don't know how to do business.

It used to be that the Conservatives had more of an understanding that way, but this lot have caught up with Labour in general cluelessness.

The public have yet to realise this though and still have a trust in the Conservatives that isn't justified.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'economy' is very much based on a lot of people spending money they havent got on things they often dont need.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    The 'economy' is very much based on a lot of people spending money they havent got on things they often dont need.

Indeed. It has been since the first ancient brit decided to take his chariot to the seaside for a holiday, or the stone age chap made himself a nice stone human figure., or Londoners decided to go and watch something by that chap Shakespeare.

The other problem at the moment is that many of the people running busineses are hopeless at it , and produce rubbish services, or hunting people with more money then sense.The focus is on a quick buck, reducing service and costs, and the odd, often stupid, great new idea. I am currently wading through the incompetence of BT and Dairy Crest , going to half full West End theatres, and finding many of the places I would go to buy things closed - because some property developer has his eyes on bigger profits from residential development, or some top end of market shop that will have a lot fewer richer customers.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The UK is a housing bubble and a basically insolvent banking system - with a third world low wage economy tacked on!

It may carry on fine - but one day it will blow up big time.
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. It has been since the first ancient brit decided to take his chariot to the seaside for a holiday..

I think it set in when people started taking bets on whether the ancient brit would make it to the beach. Or how quickly he'd make it. And then wouldn't he like a new, faster chariot on easy payment terms.. Ancient socio-economic textbooks tried to warn us of the dangers of usury, but did we listen?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically Osborne & the Tories is doing yet another U turn and doing everything he said he would never do.

Austerity is a great political soundbite - but it's a lousy policy.

According to the figures, income tax receipts were £66 billion lower than forecast, national insurance contributions were down £25.5 billion while social security spending is £25 billion higher than originally planned.

So the net difference between Osborne's beliefs and reality is over £100 bn.
  • RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Given that the Tories seem to be continually congratulating themselves on the economy I was quite surprised to read this in the Telegraph:
    Britain has a current account deficit of 5.2pc of GDP, in spite of the post-Lehman devaluation. It is the worst of any major country, and just about the worst in our peacetime history............The deficit is 4.4pc in France, 1.5pc in Italy and 0.2pc in Germany. The US deficit - once similar to ours - has dropped to 2.8pc of GDP on a quarterly basis. Britain sticks out like a sore thumb.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/ambroseevans_pritchard/11271845/George-Osborne-has-missed-his-chance-to-end-the-British-disease.html
  • Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other problem at the moment is that many of the people running busineses are hopeless at it , and produce rubbish services, or hunting people with more money then sense.

Or try being too clever. Neat example of what goes wrong explained here-

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-12-06/citi-faces-270-million-loss-panic-over-chinese-port-commodity-fraud

Dunning exclaimed "it appears that substantial quantities may be missing from the warehouses or may be the subject of multiple pledges," and the bank says it is owed at least $270 million. Other 'banks' have been less forthcoming about their potential losses, but the government probe has so far uncovered almost $10 billion in fraudulent trade, including irregularities at Qingdao, according to the country’s currency regulator.

So back in the good'ol days someone would just buy copper & aluminium from a trader, possibly with some financing from a bank. They'd then turn the resources into stuff doing the value add thing, and pay the bank back. Simples. But now we have this-

Copper ownership and hedging: Through the whole process each tonne of copper involved in CCFDs is hedged by selling futures on LME futures curve (deals typically involve a long physical position and short futures position over the life of the CCFDs, unless the owner of the copper wants to speculate on the price).

Though typically owned and hedged by Party A, the hedger can be Party A, B, C and D, depending on the ownership of the copper warrant.

And it goes wrong. And I am Jack's lack of suprise.. Our sharp money men got so excited about their convoluted financial shenanigans, they lost sight of the basics.. like whether the metal was really there.
  • DontgimmeevalsDontgimmeevals Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    What's more, when the government can itself borrow money at rock bottom interest rates it insists the burden of risk be shouldered by individuals.

Government spending is a component of GDP, if the government is committed to reducing its spending then it needs to ensure that this is substituted by private spending - otherwise there would be an instant recession.

Whether or not the government can borrow at rock bottom levels is irrelevant as we have been over-borrowing since the day Labour got in in 1997 - we have piled up a lot of debt which we must reduce as currently we are paying the same amount of money on servicing our debt as we do for the enitre NHS budget.

That is a ridiculous fact and we just cannot borrow more. So if you want to avoid another major recession and the job losses that would ensue, the only solution is to get households to spend.
  • zahavizahavi Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

it is not in the interest of the government to reform the way money is created. in a gold standard you cant manipulate money .. you cant secretly tax people by creating more gold. you dont print gold .. you mine it or buy it.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Government spending is a component of GDP, if the government is committed to reducing its spending then it needs to ensure that this is substituted by private spending - otherwise there would be an instant recession.

Whether or not the government can borrow at rock bottom levels is irrelevant as we have been over-borrowing since the day Labour got in in 1997 - we have piled up a lot of debt which we must reduce as currently we are paying the same amount of money on servicing our debt as we do for the enitre NHS budget.

That is a ridiculous fact and we just cannot borrow more. So if you want to avoid another major recession and the job losses that would ensue, the only solution is to get households to spend.

Oh dear. We ARE borrowing more every day. This was a private debt crisis that has morphed into a public debt problem. If we hadn't allowed the public balance sheet to expand we would have been in a depression. As for the government having to service its debts................ so do private individuals. Their debt will be a drag on the economy for decades.

It just beggars belief. In 2008 public debt was about 40% of GDP, roughly what it was in 1997. Private debt was probably 400% GDP. It was the latter that caused the crisis. Public debt has since risen to about 70% GDP. So you think that amounts to a PUBLIC debt crisis? Nothing special by international standard or throughout our history. The zealotry of people who insist debt must be in private hands (often those least able to deal with it) rather than public astonishes me. Public investment on things we know we need eg infrastructure at a time of record low borrowing costs is about as close to a free lunch as you will ever get.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The UK is a housing bubble and a basically insolvent banking system - with a third world low wage economy tacked on!

It may carry on fine - but one day it will blow up big time.

And when it does we can always blame the welfare system, slash that and then restart again safe in the knowledge that it won't happen again.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I also understand the based on the OBR forecasts average household debt repayments will exceed average household income in 20 years. If you believe their forecasts the average Brit will have to borrow money each month just to pay the interest on the borrowing they already owe.

When I look at these housing price growth forecasts combined with the expected negligible wage rises - it simply makes no sense.

You couldn't make such stupidity up!:D
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. We ARE borrowing more every day. This was a private debt crisis that has morphed into a public debt problem. If we hadn't allowed the public balance sheet to expand we would have been in a depression. As for the government having to service its debts................ so do private individuals. Their debt will be a drag on the economy for decades.

It just beggars belief. In 2008 public debt was about 40% of GDP, roughly what it was in 1997. Private debt was probably 400% GDP. It was the latter that caused the crisis. Public debt has since risen to about 70% GDP. So you think that amounts to a PUBLIC debt crisis? Nothing special by international standard or throughout our history. The zealotry of people who insist debt must be in private hands (often those least able to deal with it) rather than public astonishes me. Public investment on things we know we need eg infrastructure at a time of record low borrowing costs is about as close to a free lunch as you will ever get.

Private debt has not caused any crisis, certainly not since 2007. It might have been unsustainable, but it never caused any crisis. If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Private debt has not caused any crisis, certainly not since 2007. It might have been unsustainable, but it never caused any crisis. If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

The recession was caused by credit drying up. When people couldn't finance their desired purchases then sales went down.

It is bad economically for our economy to rely on credit to keep growth.
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The recession was caused by credit drying up. When people couldn't finance their desired purchases then sales went down.

It is bad economically for our economy to rely on credit to keep growth.

Exactly, private debt didn't cause the crisis, it was the fact that it was unsustainable that caused the crisis i.e. households couldn't load up on debt indefinitely.

If there had been widescale bankruptices and home repocessions then you could say that private debt caused the crisis.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The global economic crisis was caused by a lack of energy and an economic system devoted to an abundance of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auHJlWwwTKk

An economy is only as good as the energy it can harness to sustain itself and in rare instances, grow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?????? There was a huge demand crisis in the economy because people stopped spending. Why did they stop spending? Because they had huge debts that needed servicing. The simple truth is we spent a generation getting into more and more debt and for what purpose? To buy ever more expensive houses. That's why our economy is so f*****. We completely misallocated resources and now have to repay our debts. How can anyone not see this?

I agree with Marty about the OBR. Big questions need to be asked about its 'independence' and credibility.
    Forum Member
    Eh?????? There was a huge demand crisis in the economy because people stopped spending. Why did they stop spending? Because they had huge debts that needed servicing. The simple truth is we spent a generation getting into more and more debt and for what purpose? To buy ever more expensive houses. That's why our economy is so f*****. We completely misallocated resources and now have to repay our debts. How can anyone not see this?

I agree with Marty about the OBR. Big questions need to be asked about its 'independence' and credibility.

It's not quite as simple as a collpase in demand and too much private debt. Givent that pretty much every western economy went into recession simultaneously, are you going to conclude that every western country had enormous private debts and that this caused the global recession?

What really caused the 2009 onwards worldwide recession was twofold: collapse in consumer and business confidence and the drying up of credit markets. The reason credit froze worldwide was because banks suddenly became reluctant to lend to each other because no one knew which banks were holding toxic assets and which banks could be the next Lehman/Northern Rock.

I wouldn't say that private debts are a bad thing, we have built an economic system which relies on it. This is sustainable as long as good middle class jobs do not disappear. If people can repay their debts then there's no problem. Inflation takes care of a lot of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not quite as simple as a collpase in demand and too much private debt. Givent that pretty much every western economy went into recession simultaneously, are you going to conclude that every western country had enormous private debts and that this caused the global recession?

What really caused the 2009 onwards worldwide recession was twofold: collapse in consumer and business confidence and the drying up of credit markets. The reason credit froze worldwide was because banks suddenly became reluctant to lend to each other because no one knew which banks were holding toxic assets and which banks could be the next Lehman/Northern Rock.

I wouldn't say that private debts are a bad thing, we have built an economic system which relies on it. This is sustainable as long as good middle class jobs do not disappear. If people can repay their debts then there's no problem. Inflation takes care of a lot of it.

I'm not saying that private debt is a bad thing in itself. The problem is that it has grown far too large. This was first seen in Japan which has become a stagnant economy and now it has happened here.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Thats capitalism for you which has always relied on debt to function.