Forum Member
✭✭✭
CANT BELIEVE IT he got of scot free

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did he "get off scot free" or was the prosecution case so deficient that justice was served and an innocent man was set free?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's free? Who is this Dewani character? If only there were an existing 286 page thread that I could look through to find the details...
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he "get off scot free" or was the prosecution case so deficient that justice was served and an innocent man was set free?

Well, according to liberals he will be an "innocent“ man because a court failed to convict him. But a normal person will see it as it really is, he got away with it.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Well, according to liberals he will be an "innocent“ man because a court failed to convict him. But a normal person will see it as it really is, he got away with it.

The legal definition of "innocent".

From what I see the evidence against the man was dodgy as hell at best and whether someone is 'liberal' or 'conservative' is irrelevant frankly.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had a good look at the SA justice system this last couple of years, and it makes ours look outstanding, and it is compared to there, and many other places, despite it's faults.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've had a good look at the SA justice system this last couple of years, and it makes ours look outstanding, and it is compared to there, and many other places, despite it's faults.

I agree.

South Africa has a lot to catch up with IMO. Hope they succeed.

I much prefer a jury system even though I'm sure we learnt a lot from these two cases. Some of it very interesting.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Let me guess, you had him pegged as guilty all the way? :p
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Let me guess, you had him pegged as guilty all the way? :p

Of course, and the other one. :D

The system is so long winded, and impractical that it is a wonder they get everyone tried.
  • Options
    alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    I much prefer a jury system even though I'm sure we learnt a lot from these two cases. Some of it very interesting.

Even in a jury system, after the prosecution case has been made, the defence can ask for the case to be thrown out as no reasonable jury could find the accused guilty based on the evidence presented. It's then up to the judge whether to allow the case to proceed. So, this part is not that different.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    Even in a jury system, after the prosecution case has been made, the defence can ask for the case to be thrown out as no reasonable jury could find the accused guilty based on the evidence presented. It's then up to the judge whether to allow the case to proceed. So, this part is not that different.

Of course, I agree.

It's just the long winded SA trials due to the judge being in charge of everything.

So many people on remand in SA which I'm sure this kind of system adds to in the main.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had a good look at the SA justice system this last couple of years, and it makes ours look outstanding

It must be seriously bad then :eek:

:D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Dewani free

I wish that's what this forum was.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

There was absolutely zero evidence against him, if you can't see that there's something wrong with you.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I can see, the case against him was based on the premise that he approaced the first person he saw after getting off the plane and said "I want to hire you to murder my wife" and that person said "Oh, all right, then".

Now, somehow, to me that seems just the tiniest bit far-fetched.
  • Options
    DonmackDonmack Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, I'm liberal AND normal.

He remains legally innocent, and for all we know, morally too.

I am not at all convinced that he "got away with it".
  • Options
    DonmackDonmack Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    As far as I can see, the case against him was based on the premise that he approaced the first person he saw after getting off the plane and said "I want to hire you to murder my wife" and that person said "Oh, all right, then".

Quite.

Not to mention that the person who said, "Oh, alright" followed it up with, "And let's use my car. My only source of income which will no doubt be impounded by the police for weeks on end".

Nah.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can go round saying "I'm free, I'm free" now :cool:.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is my big reason for questioning the accusation against him. The other suspects made no mention of his involvement initially, it was at subsequent interviews that they pointed the finger at him, and received reduced sentences as a result.

He is innocent until proven guilty, and the prosecution evidence isn't even of a level to take it to trial.

My heart goes out to Ani's family. And if he is indeed innocent, he has been put through hell. A tragic situation for all of them.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

I know you don't mean it but you always make me laugh. What with your 'liberals' and your 'normal' people.:o
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    It doesn't seem very satisfactory to me. For neither Dewani has justice been seen to be done.
    Annie's family still have questions, they say, that he has failed to answer.
    I don't know whether today's judgement is "not guilty" or "not enough evidence to proceed", which is not the same thing, and will put him under a permanent cloud all his life.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was absolutely zero evidence against him, if you can't see that there's something wrong with you.

Of course there was evidence against him. The testimony of the prosecution witnesses was evidence against him.
  • Options
    JavedJaved Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Yes that is far-fetched. But that's not what happened in the Dewani case.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Normal" being anyone who, like you, had him down as "Guilty all the way"?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't followed the case too closely, but it's good to see an innocent man walk free
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Javed wrote: »
    Yes that is far-fetched. But that's not what happened in the Dewani case.

But according to the judge this is exactly what did happen.