Options

Hollyoaks: John Paul storyline

Comments

• Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    For example, even though I wouldn't want it to happen in 'real life', the Maxine abuse storyline has made her a stronger character and distinguished her from Mitzeee. The writing is still poor but she has potential that she wouldn't have had as a character otherwise.

HO in the past have pulled off romances that are based on what on paper is a seedy relationship- Becca/Justin for one. Although the affair with Lockie wouldn't be a romance, it would be the first time that HO have had a couple with decent chemistry in a long while. Holly/Jason and Peri/Tom work nicely but the show's missing a bit of steaminess although ironically everyone is sleeping with each other left right and centre.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Ste and JP are unbearable tbh. I honestly find Ste so intolerable that i'm thinking about turning off for good, i've already lost interest in HO but JP being such a push over has done my head in. He just accepts Ste abusing Myra at Mercy's funeral, he just accepts he's cheated on him twice, he just accepts he's expecting a baby with Sinead...and numerous other things. Plus since when was JP (and Ste) into girl bands and doing highlights etc? I thought the point in JP was that he wasn't a stereotype.

Its so stupid that they've got them married. Does anyone even buy this storyline? You can't set up both characters as 'OTPs' with others and then just shove them together because they're the only gays in the village and expect fans to buy it.

As for James Sutton blocking people, honestly I don't like to say it but he's not a particuarly likeable person if twitter is anything to go by so I wouldn't take it personally. He seems to have no problem with constant sexism from what I recall, before I stopped following him. Of course there was the infamous train tweet too. He probably thinks he's being funny and doesn't mean harm by it to be fair to him.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Ste and JP are unbearable tbh. I honestly find Ste so intolerable that i'm thinking about turning off for good, i've already lost interest in HO but JP being such a push over has done my head in. He just accepts Ste abusing Myra at Mercy's funeral, he just accepts he's cheated on him twice, he just accepts he's expecting a baby with Sinead...and numerous other things. Plus since when was JP (and Ste) into girl bands and doing highlights etc? I thought the point in JP was that he wasn't a stereotype.

Its so stupid that they've got them married. Does anyone even buy this storyline? You can't set up both characters as 'OTPs' with others and then just shove them together because they're the only gays in the village and expect fans to buy it.

For me, it's got nothing to do with them being part of previous megacouples. I didn't mind JP's affair with Danny. I just find HO's attempts to shove unbelievable relationships down our throats and try to present them as 'true love' is insulting to my intelligence. McHay is the most high profile example but Maxine and Dodger is also an abysmal pairing. Telling us the characters are meant to be together isn't going to make them more convincing!

JP has sacrificed all his principles anyway. Even if they don't pair him with Lockie (and let's hope it happens before the HIV), they need to give him something to do that doesn't involve him being a pushover and accepting people treating him like dirt. Porsche at least deserves confronting for her disgusting attitude towards JP, siding with her husband over her cousin and telling a rape victim he's overreacting when he gets groped without his consent. According to Hollyoaks overdose:
    Porsche gets trapped in a freezer
    so at least that's some bad karma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

As for James Sutton blocking people, honestly I don't like to say it but he's not a particuarly likeable person if twitter is anything to go by so I wouldn't take it personally. He seems to have no problem with constant sexism from what I recall, before I stopped following him. Of course there was the infamous train tweet too. He probably thinks he's being funny and doesn't mean harm by it to be fair to him.

I agree.
  • Options
    FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »

JP has sacrificed all his principles anyway. Even if they don't pair him with Lockie (and let's hope it happens before the HIV), they need to give him something to do that doesn't involve him being a pushover and accepting people treating him like dirt.

He hasn't sacrificed all his principles yet. If he sleeps with Lockie, then he will have, and he can die in a fire for me.

I absolutely agree that JP needs to get his self-respect and his sense of worth back, and stop being a pushover with everyone, Ste in particular. And he needs to do that by dumping Ste, standing up for himself, getting a good job, being a good dad, and eventually finding the right person to be with.

Having an affair with the husband of his cousin (who lives under his same roof, by the way) is not the way to get his self respect and self worth back. It's a way to lose them even more by being despicable, and having to face shame and guilt when the whole thing comes out.

Because I doubt Lockie will be JP's next big love, so the affair is really not worth it.
    Porsche at least deserves confronting for her disgusting attitude towards JP, siding with her husband over her cousin and telling a rape victim he's overreacting when he gets groped without his consent. According to Hollyoaks overdose:
    Porsche gets trapped in a freezer
    so at least that's some bad karma.

She's ignorant and insensitive, but she hasn't killed anyone, and she doesn't deserve her "favourite" cousin to betray her by trying to steal her gross husband. She can keep him, and be gross together.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do agree that JP being a pushover is ridiculous. He's been hurt time and time again by Ste but keeps going back for more. The stag do was 90's themed so they dressed as Geri a member of the biggest girlband of the 90's but JP has a history of liking girlbands. Once Kieron came home to find JP dancing to the spice girls and he made up the fact it was Carmel's cd he was listening to but it was obviously his so JP likes the Spice Girls. Not too sure about Ste but JP has a history so he was understandable. Plus it was a bit of fun and it wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. Men dress up nowadays on their stags do anyway. So what if it was the Spice Girls. Andy of Emmerdale dressed as Geri too and im sure he doesn't like the Spice Girls.

It does feel like shoving together the only gays in the village and because they both had epic loves before, they can replicate that with each other. I don't really have a problem with McHay and we have no option anyway due to them staying together indefinitely. They have been written badly at times and therefore people are struggling to accept them but they appear here to stay and constant slagging off can be grating.

James has banter on twitter that can go too far but I would never say he was sexist. I follow him and find his banter amusing. A lot of it is football related and as a LFC fan as well, Im okay with it all. Yes the infamous train tweet was in poor humour but he deleted it and appears more careful what he tweets now. Everyone who has ever met him has only praised him for the nice guy he is. Plus he has numerous friends and is patron of a charity and supports lots of others, including the Hillsborough Justice Commity amongst others. If he was as nasty as you say, he wouldn't have many followers or friends. He would also be unemployable due to his personality and he wouldn't have a hot girlfriend like he does. Twitter allows 160 characters and sometimes comments can get lost so what he tweets shouldn't reflect him as a person. He seems nice and at least takes time to reply to fans, even anti - JP/McHay posters. The blocking was obviously an extreme reaction but im sure he's fed up with all the negativity surrounding his work and he took to blocking. He obviously doesn't mean harm and twitter shouldn't be a reflection of everyone's like or dislike of someone. Id rather take the word of people who've met him or know him, than those tweets with 160 characters. They say he's lovely, then that's fine by me imo.
  • Options
    Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member

BIB: I was unfortunate enough to switch channels one evening last week (sorry, couldn't switch back once I'd started to watch, it's the old 'car crash' mentality) and I happened across the part where Ste was confessing his ONS with the random to JP - this is just after JP has found out about Ste sleeping with Sinead and getting her pregnant.

I was fully expecting anger, shouting, all the usual soapy angst and drama, and what was JP's reaction? Nothing, absolutely zilch. We didn't see anything ...the scene cut, and the next time McFail are together, JP was spouting the most absurdly twee speech along the lines of "yes, we mess up, we're not perfect, but I don't care, I don't want perfect, this is who we are and this is what I want" *vomit smiley*

WTF?? :o:confused::o:confused: What the hell kind of reaction is that supposed to be when you find out - on your wedding day no less - that your new hubby, as well as being a junkie, is a lying, serial cheater who's just made the village bike pregnant (and also has HIV pending). Sure, no biggie, who's perfect after all? Lets go and live in twee domesticity in my overcrowded family home! Perfect! :p

JP must be the biggest doormat in the history of soap martyrs. I am honestly flabbergasted when I see comments on Twitter from people who buy this claptrap that HOs are peddling, and think that McFail are soooo cute!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluebird69 wrote: »
    BIB: I was unfortunate enough to switch channels one evening last week (sorry, couldn't switch back once I'd started to watch, it's the old 'car crash' mentality) and I happened across the part where Ste was confessing his ONS with the random to JP - this is just after JP has found out about Ste sleeping with Sinead and getting her pregnant.

I was fully expecting anger, shouting, all the usual soapy angst and drama, and what was JP's reaction? Nothing, absolutely zilch. We didn't see anything ...the scene cut, and the next time McFail are together, JP was spouting the most absurdly twee speech along the lines of "yes, we mess up, we're not perfect, but I don't care, I don't want perfect, this is who we are and this is what I want" *vomit smiley*

WTF?? :o:confused::o:confused: What the hell kind of reaction is that supposed to be when you find out - on your wedding day no less - that your new hubby is not only a junkie but a lying, serial cheater who's just made the village bike pregnant (and also has HIV pending). Sure, no biggie, who's perfect after all? Lets go and live in twee domesticity in my overcrowded family home! Perfect! :p

JP must be the biggest doormat in the history of soap martyrs. I am honestly flabbergasted when I see comments on Twitter from people who buy this claptrap that HOs are peddling, and think that McFail are soooo cute!!!

JP's reaction was ridiculous, don't know what to think, other than maybe the trauma of being raped has made him such a doormat but wait forgot it seems his trauma has just been forgotten about, its like his clinging onto Ste and he forgives Ste etc. rather than lose him and be alone again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluebird69 wrote: »

WTF?? :o:confused::o:confused: What the hell kind of reaction is that supposed to be when you find out - on your wedding day no less - that your new hubby, as well as being a junkie, is a lying, serial cheater who's just made the village bike pregnant (and also has HIV pending). Sure, no biggie, who's perfect after all? Lets go and live in twee domesticity in my overcrowded family home! Perfect! :p

I'm fine with the concept "I love you, so I accept your failings and I forgive you because it's better than being without you" (even though with McHay the love is spoken and not seen, but whatever), but JP should have at least shouted and raged at Ste before forgiving him.

At this point Ste could kill a baby in their pram and JP would just shrug.:confused:

Ste must be really good in the bedroom, that's the only explanation! LOL:D;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Francy wrote: »
    I'm fine with the concept "I love you, so I accept your failings and I forgive you because it's better than being without you" (even though with McHay the love is spoken and not seen, but whatever), but JP should have at least shouted and raged at Ste before forgiving him.

At this point Ste could kill a baby in their pram and JP would just shrug.:confused:

Ste must be really good in the bedroom, that's the only explanation! LOL:D;-)

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if on the one-year anniversary of the rape, there is any mention?
  • Options
    Lucie_GirardLucie_Girard Posts: 36,092
    Forum Member
    So JP is admît thing that He wants them even with the cheating lol. How can He trust him after everything he's done is beyond me. :confused:
  • Options
    Lucie_GirardLucie_Girard Posts: 36,092
    Forum Member
    ME1234567 wrote: »

Lmao and JP must be desperate also lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So JP is admît thing that He wants them even with the cheating lol. How can He trust him after everything he's done is beyond me. :confused:

No idea, not sure if JP even knows the answer to that himself.:o:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think JP accepted Ste's cheating (and all the messes he made before that) and forgave him because in a way he sees the Ste under the effect of drugs as a different Ste. The drugs are NOT a justification for the cheating (Ste self-destructiveness is to blame there, the drugs just exacerbate his issues), but I don't think Ste would have cheated on JP when he wasn't high. A drug addiction will alter a person's personality and priorities, it's a disease that takes over a person.

So now Ste is supposedly "clean", for the first time in a long while, and promising that things will be different., so JP buys it. I think Ste means it, but of course being Ste he is doomed to have all the worst things in the universe happening to him, therefore (and against all statistical probabilities) his two ONS came with 2 huge consequences (the baby and HIV), so he really had epic bad luck.

(obviously, we know that Ste cheated because the writers needed to set up the 2 storylines they had in mind for him. Ste is tendentially not a cheater, unless it involves Brendan).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lmao and JP must be desperate also lol :D

lol:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think JP accepted Ste's cheating (and all the messes he made before that) and forgave him because in a way he sees the Ste under the effect of drugs as a different Ste. The drugs are NOT a justification for the cheating (Ste self-destructiveness is to blame there, the drugs just exacerbate his issues), but I don't think Ste would have cheated on JP when he wasn't high. A drug addiction will alter a person's personality and priorities, it's a disease that takes over a person.

So now Ste is supposedly "clean", for the first time in a long while, and promising that things will be different., so JP buys it. I think Ste means it, but of course being Ste he is doomed to have all the worst things in the universe happening to him, therefore (and against all statistical probabilities) his two ONS came with 2 huge consequences (the baby and HIV), so he really had epic bad luck.

(obviously, we know that Ste cheated because the writers needed to set up the 2 storylines they had in mind for him. Ste is tendentially not a cheater, unless it involves Brendan).

True, I guess that makes sense.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    You will never convince me, with any possible rationalization, that JP banging his cousin's husband would be good for anyone, except for those who are desperate to see McHay end (and it won't happen anytime soon, for the joy of everyone!!).

It's a despicable thing, and it remains so under all circumst
    ances.

That said, I have accepted that I'm practically the only person left on the Internet who doesn't want JP to touch Lockie. That's fine!! When it happens, you all can enjoy your sordid affair, and I won't be here to see it, because I will stop watching!

Things happen for a reason. This could be the stroke that broke the camel's back for me, and give me the push I need to stop watching this crap.
    BIB - You're not quite the only person. I don't care about John Paul as you do, but I certainly would derive no pleasure from a 'sordid affair' between him and Lockie. It sounds almost - but perhaps not quite - as unexciting as John Paul and Ste. Even in soap terms - even in Hollyoaks terms - never have I seen a fledgling marriage with DISASTER written all over it in quite such huge letters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if on the one-year anniversary of the rape, there is any mention?

No mention on the waveguide spoilers for the 5th-9th so the anniversary looks like its going unnoticed unless they are in it. Its Ste's birthday as well on the 9th so it would be nice to see them in it but it doesn't look likely unfortunately. I'd imagine the Finn spoilers will be the following week (12th) based on when they filmed it and the HIV will come around then too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    BIB - You're not quite the only person. I don't care about John Paul as you do, but I certainly would derive no pleasure from a 'sordid affair' between him and Lockie. It sounds almost - but perhaps not quite - as unexciting as John Paul and Ste. Even in soap terms - even in Hollyoaks terms - never have I seen a fledgling marriage with DISASTER written all over it in quite such huge letters.

Maybe tptb will surprise us and have McHay be a stable couple from now on bar the HIV reveal. We can hope. Therefore making us start to believe in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »

I agree.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catching up on the last 2 eps from E4
    I realised that I could never be a counselor, when I was shouting for JP to punch Ste in the face and run away as fast as he could
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol at JP, defining their marriage by that horrid plastic ring, yes JP your marriage is cheap plastic and going to fall apart in 3 minutes, and made as a short term thing to entertain until something better happens
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lol at JP, defining their marriage by that horrid plastic ring, yes JP your marriage is cheap plastic and going to fall apart in 3 minutes, and made as a short term thing to entertain until something better happens

• Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No mention on the waveguide spoilers for the 5th-9th so the anniversary looks like its going unnoticed unless they are in it. Its Ste's birthday as well on the 9th so it would be nice to see them in it but it doesn't look likely unfortunately. I'd imagine the Finn spoilers will be the following week (12th) based on when they filmed it and the HIV will come around then too.

Ok, thanks for the info :)
This discussion has been closed.