Options

Razor blades in hand luggage?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've avoided it before, but is it okay to take my gillette razor on board? I don't want the security people destroying it so I tend to the safe side but it's a nuisance not to travel with it.

Comments

• Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can take disposable razors in your hand luggage, but anything with a removable blade has to go in your hold luggage.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    You can buy disposable razors in every country for very cheap, unless your going to the North pole or sahara dessert. Same with most items people like to take with them. I swear some people have their kitchen sinks in their suitcases!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Why would anybody really feel like they need a razor in their hand luggage?

Laptop, phone, toothbrush and a spare pair of trolleys is all I ever pack as hand luggage.
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    You can take disposable razors in your hand luggage, but anything with a removable blade has to go in your hold luggage.

When you say removable blade, do you mean mach 3 etc?
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope, they are fixed. Removable blades a for old style straight and safety type razors, ie removable,
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Mach 3's don't have removable blades. They're fixed within the cartridge, surely.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you Mediterranean? Are you flying to Jupiter?

Surely you can wait a few hours to shave
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just keep the blades and things seperate, they will only confiscate the blades, if they find them. I've taken mine loads of times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Laptop, phone, toothbrush and a spare pair of trolleys is all I ever pack as hand luggage.

Sometimes i only travel with carry on.
  • Options
    GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just keep the blades and things seperate, they will only confiscate the blades, if they find them. I've taken mine loads of times.

It's also very easy to buy blades where ever you go. Its £2 for 10 in Asia, so cheap as falaffel everywhere else
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormagon wrote: »
    It's also very easy to buy blades where ever you go. Its £2 for 10 in Asia, so cheap as falaffel everywhere else

Depends how long you are going for, a weekend? throw it in and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sometimes i only travel with carry on.

Ah, yep. Fair comment.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One test would probably be could you hold the blade against someone's throat and threaten to do anything but give them a close shave with it.

I suppose you could get two packs. Put handle plus cartridges in your hold luggage and put a handle and a single cartridge in your carry on.

If the one in carry on gets confiscated you've still got the one in the hold.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't get it out on board, in midair, and don't hold it to a stewardess' throat whilst shouting Allau Akhbar. That's one mistake I won't make again.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

I have no idea what a "spare pair of trolleys" are - is it slang for pants? I can't keep up with this language sometimes. However, you can easily pack for a few days trip with just hand luggage. In some airports it can save a lot of time waiting for baggage reclaim.

In the ultra-paranoid days after 9/11 all razors were banned but the authorities soon relaxed the restriction. It was silly anyway as you could walk through security and buy a razor in Boots. In the wrong hands, a belt, box of matches or bottle of duty free are much more dangerous on a plane than a Bic razor.