Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor scripts?

Yes much like every show shITV shows ;)
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mammoth win for SCD, especially when you strip out the second showings of the ITV shows.

Do feel SCD should be at 10m in the overnights though by now. Though it is still consolidating to c11m I think so perhaps of little concern.

Still beating IAC tho ;) which should also be higher (on first showing). 8m for a big show like that? The soaps have been down a while so it's no surprise their low ratings, IAC was getting high ratings just last year so it's bad.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    That's a surprise. All the other quotes I've seen seem quite conclusive. She certainly finds the show a real chore to write, hence the long gaps between episodes.

Incidentally, the BBC must feel cursed with sitcoms over the past decade. I'm not suggesting that they've done nearly enough to develop them - but every time they do manage to produce a big hit (and it usually takes a couple of series to build), they get to enjoy it for one short primetime BBC One series before it promptly ends! Gavin & Stacey went that way, Miranda is going and Mrs Brown appears limited to specials too.

They must really crave an even moderately successful (5m or so) returnable, probably team-written sitcom, which comes back year after year with full runs. Without such a show, it's almost impossible to re-establish sitcoms as a regular part of the year-round schedule. It's just a scattering of debuts, plus once-a-year festive treats from the big names.

For some reason, these days you have to be a performer to get your sitcom on tv.

So, Mirada Hart writes Miranda, Adil Ray writes Citizen Khan, Lee Mack writes Not going out, and Brendon O'Carroll Mrs Bowrns Boys.

There must, surely. be one or two John Sullivan's out there- if only someone would give them a chance- rather than a lazy 'He's popular, Give him a series' attitude we have now.
  • Options
    LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given up on IAC! Poor cast, know about 2, 3 max of them, the tasks are shite this year, Ant & Dec are not even funny no more. Missed a few eps and not even bothered to catch up..
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Really surprised to see Stott ranting like that. Not very professional for an actor.

Not that I rate him as an actor. He's the same in every role I've seen.

He's very good as Tony Hancock in the BBC biography alongside Maxine Peake as Joan Sims. I think maybe one of his finest television performances but again has many traits that Ken Stott can play. But I agree there is a similarity in most roles he is offered on television at times.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Yes, and they've bizarrely given it top billing, above CBeebies and CBBC. They really shouldn't have done so though, there's not nearly enough room for it. There's now not even enough room for full programme names for CBBC and CBeebies, let alone programme information. So now you've got things like 'Nina and the Neurons' just referred to as 'Nina'. It's pretty much unreadable. Very poor, the Radio Times should be about quality not quantity.

I would agree that there are some channels in there that shouldn't be there. I watch Challenge sometimes but I don't think they need to bother listing it because the schedule's always the same and I don't think RT readers are that bothered. For the kids' channels it's a bit different because kids themselves probably don't read them so it's a bit of a token gesture which is more of use for parents.

As for Milkshake, in Ireland RTE's kids strand, which used to be The Den and is now RTE Jr, has a slot in the EPG even though it's just a simulcast of RTE2, so it can go in the kids section. I wonder if C5 have ever considered buying an EPG slot so Milkshake can appear alongside the other kids' channels. There'd have to be some technical jiggery-pokery so it doesn't simulcast the rest of C5, probably.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I would have said if ever there was a one off series it was Broadchurch actually !!

Disagree. Missing is far more a one off. It is a story of the aftermath. It is the storytelling which is holding people in not the characters. Nesbitt character is hardly someone folks will rush to see other stories told about. I'm no fan of Broadchurch returning and have no idea of the script but it was far more 'identifiable' character led. The fallout from the first series can make a drama. People cared for the characters in a way that made it more readily suitable for a return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leeah wrote: »
    Given up on IAC! Poor cast, know about 2, 3 max of them, the tasks are shite this year, Ant & Dec are not even funny no more. Missed a few eps and not even bothered to catch up..

IAC for me is hitting the territory it hit a few years ago. It is lacklustre and folks may finish what they started but there is a danger of folks not bothering next year unless there is a far better cast and a reboot. IAC was on fire a couple of years ago but it is fading. Ant and Dec are phoning in their performance as well but they are nowt but genuine. They can't get too excited either!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Pointless could get 8m on Xmas Day I think.

Give Armstrong and Osman Santa hats and job's a goodun.

It's peaking at 8m on Saturdays already ;-)

I think a festive afternoon special would be just fine and I'd love them to call it Pointless Celebrities at Christmas. Perfect. I wouldn't even need to watch to derive satisfaction from it. :-)
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Further to yorkie's reply, this was BARB's official response to my query:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75092773&postcount=188

Thanks. Nothing surprises me with BARB these days.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Peter Kay bringing back Phoenix Nights for two live shows

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30231288

I think this was reported but now confirmed with all the cast appearing apparently for Comic relief. I wonder if they will film it?

Nowt so surer. The missus was going to get tickets until we saw they were £62 each!! We decided that as it will no doubt be a staging of existing material from the original series (Kay write something new?) and broadcast for Comic Relief, we wouldn't bother.
    wizzywick wrote: »
    For those who hated the 2012 BBC1 Curtain idents and were underwhelmed by last years, here is some news about this year's.
    It is seemingly live action, set in a wintry forest with lit up Christmas trees and featuring children.

http://www.bonnieandbetty.com/bonnie-betty-case-studies.php?sr=26

Ooh how exciting. They must be good given the continuity excitement on Saturday and Sunday.
    How? Is James Nesbitt going to have a 2nd child go missing?

The clue is in the title. I spotted early on that "The" Missing suggested more than one person was missing (only one in a truly literal sense) and that has proven the case on a number of levels in the series. Even if the kid is located in 2014 at the end of s1, there's bags of scope for a follow up series with a few story themes to carry on. There are essentially 3 main character families affected by loss and betrayal and peripheral ones too. And 8 years on the kid might not want to "come home" or still be "missing" if he did go back (to his alcoholic violent dad or his remarried mum?). Plenty of scope for at least another series!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    IAC for me is hitting the territory it hit a few years ago. It is lacklustre and folks may finish what they started but there is a danger of folks not bothering next year unless there is a far better cast and a reboot. IAC was on fire a couple of years ago but it is fading. Ant and Dec are phoning in their performance as well but they are nowt but genuine. They can't get too excited either!

Wonder if the other 10 million viewers feel the same.;)
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LHolmes wrote: »
    I've seen some quotes somewhere that Miranda gave to This Morning where she seemed reluctant about it ending and hinted that she may do more episodes in the future.

I felt that Miranda wouldn't be back for a series but thought it would be back for occasional specials. Everytime I've read comments from Miranda recently she's been veryfinal about their sitcom.

"@mermhart: Off to the studio for final sitcom record. Not looking forward to my last look to camera. Think I will be MOIST eyed."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homeland is probably a better example than Broadchurch of a perfect one series drama brought back.

Or perhaps Life on Mars which could have been a one serieser had it bombed but in effect ran to 5, reinvented with a new joint lead, title, setting and era. (I recognise there's an element of 'Trigger's broom' there! )
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Sam Hodges ‏@Sam_Hodges 12s12 seconds ago
    Great peak audience of 10.6m for last night's #StrictlyComeDancing on @BBCOne #SCD

UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 5s5 seconds ago
    Sunday night ratings:
    #StrictlyComeDancing - 9.94m/41.3%
    #ImACeIebrity - 9.46m/37.2%
    #TheXFactor - 7.95m/31.0%
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings thread ITV spin doctors are clearly struggling this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Wonder if the other 10 million viewers feel the same.;)

Remember XF getting 14m? Complacency can be dangerous. Suspect Ant and Dec are far more atuned to the issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland is probably a better example than Broadchurch of a perfect one series drama brought back.

Or perhaps Life on Mars which could have been a one serieser had it bombed but in effect ran to 5, reinvented with a new joint lead, title, setting and era. (I recognise there's an element of 'Trigger's broom' there! )

There are stories today that a third series of Broadchurch is being considered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@overnightstv: 2nd ep of #RememberMe drew 4.3m/16.8% up against strong opposition from #ImACelebrityGetMeOutOfHere"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@overnightstv: 2nd ep of #RememberMe drew 4.3m/16.8% up against strong opposition from #ImACelebrityGetMeOutOfHere"

Thought it would sink like a stone. Shame, it's compelling and intriguing, if a little silly and heading for a damp squib ending I fear.

Any news on how it has been consolidating?
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Fantastic for SCD and IAC.

At least X Factor is up on Saturday but I'm still shocked to see it rating under 8 Million for the results.

Last year's was still rating close to 9 Million no?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    There are stories today that a third series of Broadchurch is being considered.

Which will be no doubt be perfectly fine for those people complaining about The Missing getting a 2nd series. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Remember XF getting 14m? Complacency can be dangerous. Suspect Ant and Dec are far more atuned to the issues.

I take your point but your never gonna get 14 million in today's fragmented audiences. So to compare audiences of yesteryear to now is not really any indication of its popularity last night. Viewing figures have decreased across the board since the heights of "The X Factor" pulling in massive audiences. It was ITV's highest rated show, so I don't think they will complacent about a show that brings in such a high audience for them. 'Strictly Come Dancing" audience has declined also but I don't see any signs of it being complacent either. I think the days when shows hit 14 million are difficult to achieve now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it would sink like a stone. Shame, it's compelling and intriguing, if a little silly and heading for a damp squib ending I fear.

Any news on how it has been consolidating?

I'm enjoying it and has some good scares. Remember Me might drop more against the I'm A Celebrity final. No idea how it's consolidating as Yog hasn't been around. Hopefully it does well.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thats a shame but in the overall scheme of things not that bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    The ratings thread ITV spin doctors are clearly struggling this morning.

I bet they wont struggle for long though !!! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC has shelved the Shannon Matthews drama for "editorial matters" reports Broadcast " Whilst we remain committed to this project we have decided to pause in order to progress some important production and editorial matters"
This discussion has been closed.