Jake and Janette - future Strictly Champions?

I think they're definitely in with a good chance, provided the producers don't give them stupid music or themes in the next few weeks!!
Really hope Jake gets to do his salsa again in the final if that happens :)

Comments

• Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure TBH.

He can wither be really good or really bad. I think he could burn out by the semi finals and get eliminated.
  • davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends on the public vote. He's got crowd pleasing dances so if he keeps the highest public vote from now until the final then he'll win (barring some freaky maths on the voting). Jake's fans tend to blame his problems on Janette, the judges, the choreography, the dancers, the music, and everything else apart from the man himself, so anything is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    davegold wrote: »
    It all depends on the public vote. He's got crowd pleasing dances so if he keeps the highest public vote from now until the final then he'll win (barring some freaky maths on the voting). Jake's fans tend to blame his problems on Janette, the judges, the choreography, the dancers, the music, and everything else apart from the man himself, so anything is possible.

The music can be a bit of a problem now, especially since it's producers choosing it! Ridiculous song choices this year... Definitely think Craig underscored him this week as well, but obviously I think Craig sees the potential and wants to push him to do better so even that can be seen as a positive... Janette and choreography are most definitely not a problem though - she's a fabulous little firecracker and amazing at the Latin dances, and her choreography is usually spot on for Jake's abilities!!

Yeah, sometimes things go wrong in dances but I think he'll pull it up next week. Back to Latin, no? So he should be easily through to the semi finals afterwards! Although... Waltzathon. Eurgh.
  • nagel84nagel84 Posts: 13,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seems to have a lot of public support, so much so that if he makes it to the final he will have a really strong chance of winning. If he does make it to the final (and I think he most likely will) being able to perform such a crowd-pleaser as his Salsa can only enhance his chances.

I really hope he doesn't win though since he's the the poorest dancer out of the celebs left IMO.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OhJennie_ wrote: »
    The music can be a bit of a problem now, especially since it's producers choosing it! Ridiculous song choices this year... Definitely think Craig underscored him this week as well, but obviously I think Craig sees the potential and wants to push him to do better so even that can be seen as a positive... Janette and choreography are most definitely not a problem though - she's a fabulous little firecracker and amazing at the Latin dances, and her choreography is usually spot on for Jake's abilities!!

Yeah, sometimes things go wrong in dances but I think he'll pull it up next week. Back to Latin, no? So he should be easily through to the semi finals afterwards! Although... Waltzathon. Eurgh.

I am definitely not seeing what you are seeing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I am definitely not seeing what you are seeing...

Ah come on, week 2 salsa (?) and look how amazing it was! Her choreography is unique and striking, and it works well for Jake (usually, although I don't think Rumba/Argentine Tango are his dances tbf) and all their dances have been pretty memorable! She is pretty fierce and passionate and it shows in her dancing, and she's trying to bring that side of Jake out I think!
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I expect so.
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OhJennie_ wrote: »
    Ah come on, week 2 salsa (?) and look how amazing it was! Her choreography is unique and striking, and it works well for Jake (usually, although I don't think Rumba/Argentine Tango are his dances tbf) and all their dances have been pretty memorable! She is pretty fierce and passionate and it shows in her dancing, and she's trying to bring that side of Jake out I think!

Salsa is Janette's speciality. Apart from that - nope, not seeing it. I won't launch into a tirade because you won't agree or want to read it. As I said, I am not seeing what you are seeing.
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    nagel84 wrote: »
    He seems to have a lot of public support, so much so that if he makes it to the final he will have a really strong chance of winning. If he does make it to the final (and I think he most likely will) being able to perform such a crowd-pleaser as his Salsa can only enhance his chances.

I really hope he doesn't win though since he's the the poorest dancer out of the celebs left IMO.

Lets see how things pan out .... I was sooo excited by his salsa and had high hopes for his AT.... but I guess he was a salsa trick pony.... he needs to survive the next 2 weeks before the final... pains me as much to say this but after Mark he is the weakest dancer.... he might win on popularity but not on dancing .... If he wins ... it will be Chris Hollins all over again ....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's now just about out of dances the judges can "enjoy" so much that his poor technique can be swept under the carpet.

He has the Waltz-a-thon next week. Unless his other dance is the Charleston, even Mark is going to make him look bad.
  • Mrs-MopMrs-Mop Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As he can't really dance!!!!
    One dance wonder in week two, since then NOT good.

The AT steps he did this week were heavy and placed, reminded me of Hairy Dave or even John Sargent :blush:
    His samba had entertainment value.....just like Hairy Dave etc

So he might well win :o:D
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're having a laugh aren't you - or seriously deluded !!
  • Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I have seen flashes of brilliance from Jake, (especially bearing in mind he is a dance novice) but they were mostly earlier on in the series, and he has not really managed to build on his excellent start. He generally does get a couple of votes from me each week but I find him frustrating to support because I want him to improve and he doesn't really seem to be!
    I think a traditional Argentine Tango could have been fantastic for him, but that stupid theme put paid to all that. He could win, but he needs to be a bit more consistent, as the other dancers have overtaken him.
  • KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...No.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please no.... One dance does not a winner make.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the tide's beginning to turn against him now a la Susanna when she suddenly became awful after Blackpool last year (although I don't expect to see him in the dance-off just yet).
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    IMHO Jake showed a lot of potential in the early weeks (not just week two!) But a combination of poor song choices and choreography means that he's not been encouraged to develop and grow and build on that potential.

(e.g. Look how the Godfather theme and choreography for his waltz encouraged him to play safe and fall back on his old Max Branning persona, instead of getting in touch with the real feel for the waltz. And the less said about that Greek tango, the better!)

Don't get me wrong. This doesn't mean Janette is a bad choreographer. Just that she's a bad choice for Jake. Big difference.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope not.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this stage I think they have an outside chance. A couple of decent dances could get them to the final and then it will depend on how Jake performs on the night - it could go either way. If he could learn to move more smoothly and avoid any sense that he is presenting a series of posed tableaux and deliver a couple of show-stoppers then I think they have a good chance of winning.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's done one decent and very overrated dance. He has a face like a smacked arse and a partner who can barely dance ballroom.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked him early on and wanted him to make the final, but I don't think his dancing in recent weeks has been up to it and there are only so many times you can pull out the "not his dance" card. I also agree with tabithakitten that Janette's choreography / teaching has been seriously lacking at times. I recall Ian Waite on ITT a few weeks ago pointing out that she had the basic technique completely wrong in a ballroom dance (can't remember which dance). Fortunately for her, this has become the series when even Len has decided to stop giving a stuff about technique (unless he wants shot of you in a dance-off *rolleyes smiley*) so she's getting away with it. He seems to have the fanbase though so he might do it, but I'd be disappointed if so and he'd join the DeltaBlues Darren Gough Undeserving Winners Roll of Honour (which is completely subjective and inconsistent because I loved, and voted for, Chris Hollins. Go figure *shrug*)
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Janette - anyone who can make their body defy the laws of physics is ace in my book! Jake I find OK, his refusal to get involved in the hysteria and hype is refreshing, but his looks are a bit off putting.

But as dance team they are a one trick pony - party latin.

Want the final to be the 3 women and Simon - all are excellent.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not sure either.........

he has had one 'wow' dance IMO and that was his salsa in week 2 - yes, a couple of other dances have been good (AS in Blackpool is one) but his dances in recent weeks havent done anything for me at all and his AT on saturday was a real let down

whether that was the music or the choreography or what I dont know but it really wasnt what I expected or particularly great
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope not but with his EE fan base it's possible.
    I thought he was going to be the surprising 'dark horse' and personally have enjoyed more than just the Salsa (which was down more to Janettes flexibility than than skill on Marks part).
    He has been a disappointment the last few weeks though and I feel he is not improving at all. He came in with good musicality and able to move his body - and that is where he still is!
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I hope not but with his EE fan base it's possible.
    I thought he was going to be the surprising 'dark horse' and personally have enjoyed more than just the Salsa (which was down more to Janettes flexibility than than skill on Marks part).
    He has been a disappointment the last few weeks though and I feel he is not improving at all. He came in with good musicality and able to move his body - and that is where he still is!

*whispers* its Jake not Mark