Seats on public transport

1235»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaditano wrote: »
    My point about the plane seats was intended to show that people deemed to be 'overweight' can turn it to their advantage by letting the prejuduce of the '''''normal''''' rebound on them. This amuses me. It will continue to do so, perhaps even more so following your rather pedantic grumbles.

But it's not 'prejudice' to avoid sitting beside an overweight person. It's common sense, because you will be uncomfortable and won't have enough room.
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point about the plane seats was intended to show that people deemed to be 'overweight' can turn it to their advantage by letting the prejuduce of the '''''normal''''' rebound on them. This amuses me. It will continue to do so, perhaps even more so following your rather pedantic grumbles.

Oh I'm not grumbling. Wherever possible I avoid fat people on public transport and if a fat person comes and half sits on me then I will get up and move to another seat rather than spend my journey in discomfort. It's really no bother.

I was just wondering why you thought your weight gave you some right to be rude to non-fat people. You say it's because it amuses you - that's all I wanted to know.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it's not 'prejudice' to avoid sitting beside an overweight person. It's common sense, because you will be uncomfortable and won't have enough room.

Well if it's any consolation it's more comfiortable for us not be squeezed in too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if it's any consolation it's more comfiortable for us not be squeezed in too.

I'm sure it is, but what has that got to do with it? The reason you're squeezed in is because you're taking up so much of the seat that it becomes difficult for it to accommodate two people. That is not the fault of the other person in the seat.
  • Options
    GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it is, but what has that got to do with it? The reason you're squeezed in is because you're taking up so much of the seat that it becomes difficult for it to accommodate two people. That is not the fault of the other person in the seat.

If you want to allocate blame (and you seem fairly keen to do so) the fault lies with the normative assumptions of those who design transport based on what an 'average' person is and how much room they need. I am sure exceptionally tall people find most bus/train/plane ceilings very low and people of restricted growth (if that's still the right phrase) find many switches too high on walls.

The minute a person's body falls outside a pretty narrow set of expectations, a lot of everyday life can get quite difficult.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this thread has taken an unpleasant turn...
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    iannai wrote: »
    Wow this thread has taken an unpleasant turn...

Indeed

Gaditano in answer to your earlier post I have no 'argument' with those you have labelled 'normal' as they arent throwing out insults to people with my body shape, you are - when surely you know how it feels?

you didnt end your little airoplane seats thing sayiong about 'normal sized people coming down the aisle' but you said 'scrawny, skinny, anorexic' - making yourself just as bad as anyone who is fattist, if not worse when you know how such body elitism can be painful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically next to anyone at the back of the bus.
    However, if I have a choice between seating next to a woman/girl (no matter her appearance) and a man/boy (no matter his appearance) I tend to choose the woman. I guess because of social constructs, I feel safer that way.
    No difference though if they are children.
  • Options
    sp2011sp2011 Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate sitting next to someone on the bus, but if i have to I usually try and not sit next to someone who doesn't look like they smell :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reserve a seat on trains so don't get a choice.
  • Options
    tynka belltynka bell Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    A few years ago I got on my train home and sat down near the front. Almost immediately was overwhelmed by the most horrendous smell. Looked up and right at the back was a real trampy tramp - filthy dirty and really stinky. Amazingly there was a normal looking woman sitting in the seat next to him! The smell was so bad I had to move carriages. She obviously had no sense of smell.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reserve a seat on trains so don't get a choice.

You don't have to sit in the specific seat listed in your reservation though. Although,strictly speaking,with some types of ticket you're meant to,and if you don't your ticket could be ruled invalid,but I've never come across a ticket inspector issuing a penalty fare to someone for not sitting in the specific seat.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    You don't have to sit in the specific seat listed in your reservation though. Although,strictly speaking,with some types of ticket you're meant to,and if you don't your ticket could be ruled invalid,but I've never come across a ticket inspector issuing a penalty fare to someone for not sitting in the specific seat.

I saw a couple "told off" by the guard for not sitting in the right seats a couple of weeks ago. That said I often do that and no one has ever said anything so it's obviously just luck.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I like to sit next to the person who tries to reserve an empty seat with his luggage.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you wrote: »
    You know the scenario.. you get on a bus/train, there are no single seats left. How do you decide who to sit beside?

Do you sit beside the hot chick?
    Do you sit anywhere?
    Do you avoid the ones that look smelly?
    Do you avoid sitting beside the fatties?
    Or is it a case that in your country you sit on the roof like every other person?

Me, i don't really care as long as its not a gobby teen or fatty taking my share of the seat

You know those seats at the back of the downstairs that face backwards instead of forwards, well I think it's best to avoid them as people tend to sit on the forward facing seats opposite them with their feet on them (so they get dirty).....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to allocate blame (and you seem fairly keen to do so) the fault lies with the normative assumptions of those who design transport based on what an 'average' person is and how much room they need. I am sure exceptionally tall people find most bus/train/plane ceilings very low and people of restricted growth (if that's still the right phrase) find many switches too high on walls. The minute a person's body falls outside a pretty narrow set of expectations, a lot of everyday life can get quite difficult.

Nobody's allocating blame. We are saying there is a practical reason why people don't want to sit beside overweight people on buses, which has nothing to do with being fattist.
    You seem very keen to see insults where none are intended.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Like someone said I will sit next to the most normal looking person which usually results in them moving and me getting the seat to myself ;)
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sp2011 wrote: »
    I hate sitting next to someone on the bus, but if i have to I usually try and not sit next to someone who doesn't look like they smell :D

That double negative means you try and sit next to people who do smell?