New EPG on its way

Comments

• fackingspidersfackingspiders Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if anyone has reported these two minor things about the new EPG or not.

I have noticed that when playing back a recording, the duration of the programme is now shown in hours (if applicable) and minutes whereas before it was just shown in minutes.

The second thing is that on the same screen as the hours/minutes the date the programme was recorded is still in the old format eg Sun 01. To get the month and year, you need to press i for more info.

Does anybody know why they have decided not put the month and year on this bit too?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Deleted -wrong thread
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if anyone has reported these two minor things about the new EPG or not.

I have noticed that when playing back a recording, the duration of the programme is now shown in hours (if applicable) and minutes whereas before it was just shown in minutes.
    If you mean on the info bar when you press a navigation key - then that was the same on the old 6 line EPG.
  • fackingspidersfackingspiders Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    If you mean on the info bar when you press a navigation key - then that was the same on the old 6 line EPG.

Sorry, I should have made myself clear. It's the screen where you choose if you want playback to begin from the start or user defined point.
  • nickosbadnickosbad Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hi All

Anyone who does not have the new EPG should be receiving it on Tuesday Morning.

The EPG Stream will be updated and hopefully ALL 890 & 895 Boxes will receive the update at this time

Cheers
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nickosbad wrote: »
    Hi All

The EPG Stream will be updated and hopefully ALL 890 & 895 Boxes will receive the update at this time

Cheers

Source?
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Source?

A brief that I have just printed out at work!!
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Cheers
    That's a shame. I was enjoying have 11 lines of channels on screen at a time and not reading spoilers in programme information :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    After having reviewed the latest EPG update I can honestly say that it is nothing more than cosmetic in appearance, functionally it is a step back in my opinion.

The Planner now lists in more genres than before and they have also repositioned the adjacent headings. Default setting was ALL with RECORDED next to it on the left now it's A-Z then VIEWED then RECORDED. If you decide to view recording from the RECODED section and back up and press the DELETE button you will delete a RECORDED programme from your planner, not the programme you just watched. This is because the programme you have just watched has gone into the VIEWED heading and you are in the RECORDED heading. On the previous EPG you defaulted back to ALL.

Also the FAVOURITE button only takes you back to the last channel you viewed, prior to this EPG update I was able to use pause on my current viewing and this by default allowed me to then use the Blue button to scroll to my next favourite after the programme I'm currently viewing.

The SUBTITLE option now stays on unless turned off, by default in the previous EPG the SUBTITLE always turned off when you changed channel.

This may be a coincidence but I have also noticed that my ANYTIME doesn't seem to be recording as much, so far since the EPG upgrade which seemed to happen about 12.35am Friday I have had 3 programmes on ANYTIME. The only other programmes that are shown on it are PPV (which currently number 8 films in total), does this mean that only PPV films will be downloaded to ANYTIME

I quite like the graphic changes from an aesthetic point of view but apart from this what has really changed for the good, or better still, what are the real improvements over the previous EPG cos I'm still looking for them :confused:

I'm all for change and improvement but I feel that Sky have only carried out superficial changes and if I had the chance I would go back to the previous EPG.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McJacko wrote: »
    I quite like the graphic changes from an aesthetic point of view but apart from this what has really changed for the good, or better still, what are the real improvements over the previous EPG cos I'm still looking for them :confused:

I'm all for change and improvement but I feel that Sky have only carried out superficial changes and if I had the chance I would go back to the previous EPG.

As already stated, this update is to prepare the Sky Box to receive things like BBC iPlayer, proper ITV Player, planner sharing between multiroom boxes, and maybe planner sharing to an iPad.

All these would not be possible until this software was released. It's a stepping stone to the new features.
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brief that I have just printed out at work!!

Where do you work? Or shouldn't you say. I've seen in another post you have used future versions of the software, are you involved in the software development for sky?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi All

Cheers

After speaking to the Osterley Tech Dept, the upgrade schedule will continue as scheduled. The highlighted parts of your post in not quiet correct, but I cannot give full details due to NDA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    As already stated, this update is to prepare the Sky Box to receive things like BBC iPlayer, proper ITV Player, planner sharing between multiroom boxes, and maybe planner sharing to an iPad.

All these would not be possible until this software was released. It's a stepping stone to the new features.

Yeah, but did that mean they had to do all the changes I mention.

What is proper ITV Player I already have access to I-Players on BBC and ITV through numerous other electronic devices. For this to be delivered on my SKY box it seems I have to give up the features I mentioned, oh and why are all the recordings in ANYTIME only in HD, I've a feeling that I won't be getting as many programmes as before the update.

Question: If I had been a BETA tester for this roll-out would the points I have mentioned been looked at?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    This seems to be how the new on demand service menu will look like when it comes out.

http://live.vr.lt/cms/data/uploads/1.jpg
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other than the annoyance of less lines on the Planner/Guide screens, there's another one that's been bugging me:

Before if you used to select a channel in the Guide and press Select it would hop straight to that channel (close the Guide and go to the channel) - now it seems if you press Select it changes to the channel in the mini TV but doesn't close the Guide.

I'm not sure if it's related to the new software but had major problems with live rewind on Saturday night during the tennis - not ideal considering it would reach a point where it would stop and say Press Sky, it would go back to live TV thus almost ruining the match for us several times.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5mistry wrote: »
    This seems to be how the new on demand service menu will look like when it comes out.

that looks nice....
  • paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    that looks nice....

It does. :)

Where was that from?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    It does. :)

Where was that from?

A sky advert that came in the mail.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McJacko wrote: »
    A
    The Planner now lists in more genres than before and they have also repositioned the adjacent headings. Default setting was ALL with RECORDED next to it on the left now it's A-Z then VIEWED then RECORDED. If you decide to view recording from the RECODED section and back up and press the DELETE button you will delete a RECORDED programme from your planner, not the programme you just watched. This is because the programme you have just watched has gone into the VIEWED heading and you are in the RECORDED heading. On the previous EPG you defaulted back to ALL. .

That sounds like a good reason why everyone should use the Blue for Keep button to stop this.

Can someone please confirm - though - that you can customise to make the planner show All as default as this change looks like another thing that is going to annoy people needlessly otherwise.

Having All as default worked fine as far as I can see. Why tinker to make it another thing people will have to adapt to when they have used the old defaults maybe for years.
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »
    After speaking to the Osterley Tech Dept, the upgrade schedule will continue as scheduled. The highlighted parts of your post in not quiet correct, but I cannot give full details due to NDA.

Let's wait and see shall we!!

Oh BTW, the roll out schedule is now out of NDA as ALL members of staff have now been briefed on the impending updates...............the next and widely unseen versions.......that is another matter!!
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the plan still to do beta tests on Pace and Samsung boxes before a mass dowload to them?
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5mistry wrote: »

It seems odd that they are rebranding Anytime+ as 'On Demand' after all the effort they put into advertising it as the former. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems odd that they are rebranding Anytime+ as 'On Demand' after all the effort they put into advertising it as the former. :rolleyes:

Maybe too many are confused about Anytime/Showcase & Anytime+
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Let's wait and see shall we!!

Oh BTW, the roll out schedule is now out of NDA as ALL members of staff have now been briefed on the impending updates...............the next and widely unseen versions.......that is another matter!!

I'm hoping you're right, that i'll get the update in the morning.

Based on that, it wont happen before 12.30 am will it?? As i have recordings set until then
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loochie wrote: »
    I'm hoping you're right, that i'll get the update in the morning.

Based on that, it wont happen before 12.30 am will it?? As i have recordings set until then

If you don't get it in the morning, you will be able to do a forced update and get it anyway. It will be in the download stream from tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.