Where does Lady GaGa go from here?

StubeStube Posts: 16,831
Forum Member
✭✭
In the last 6 years she has gone from being the biggest popstar on the planet to most people outside of her fan base being bored of her eccentricities and divisive image. Her latest album received mixed reviews from critics and her sales have declined a lot since the BTW era. However, she clearly has a lot of talent and creativity still in her.

So where does she go? Does she recruit her old team who made her big in the first place? Should she return to a more "accessible pop" sound? Or should she just carry on with what she's doing and become more of a fan base artist?

Hopefully this thread can stay constructive.

Comments

• thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the fancy dress shop as usual
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    If you watch her acoustic and unplugged performances, she's a really good singer. I think she needs to forget about ARTPOP and maybe do an unplugged album with just her and the piano and no silly gimmicks. She's also the only current pop star who could pull off jazz music (she's got the voice for it) so maybe a jazz album would help her career. I wonder what happened to the one she was supposed to be releasing with Tony Bennett?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Release a 4th album? She should change the sound similar to how Madonna did ie Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer, Vogue, Hung Up changing style and sound for different albums and dominating the charts each time
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Obscurity hopefully.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    She got that FLOPPOP :cool:
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a difficult question and as a detractor myself and someone who takes her for what she is it's hard to answer with any real clarity.

She has definite talent not Bjork, Bush or Amos talent but there is some good ideas and a decent smattering of music. On the one hand her pop music has been shown as self-indulgent europop without substance or without real change in the 6 years since she started.

And on the other hand she has shown that she has neither the real artistic premise or willingness to explore without commercial gain and looks usuallay try hard and ridiculous. With kate Bush doing her first live shows in years someone of her calibre will further show Gaga up.

There is not really a place for her in either corner as she is neither ine nor the other nor has the real grit to pull either off.

So for me she will become a lesser Cyndi Lauper continuing to make interesting music that has a niche following but diminishing returns.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you watch her acoustic and unplugged performances, she's a really good singer. I think she needs to forget about ARTPOP and maybe do an unplugged album with just her and the piano and no silly gimmicks. She's also the only current pop star who could pull off jazz music (she's got the voice for it) so maybe a jazz album would help her career. I wonder what happened to the one she was supposed to be releasing with Tony Bennett?[/QUOTE]

It's due out in September

They did a few songs from it at the Montreal Jazz Festival a couple of weeks ago. Here she is doing "Lush Life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5skk2iGZP9c&feature=kp
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Slojo wrote: »

It's due out in September

They did a few songs from it at the Montreal Jazz Festival a couple of weeks ago. Here she is doing "Lush Life"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5skk2iGZP9c&feature=kp

Better late than never I suppose! If this album does well it might be the career boost she needs and that can only be a good thing IMO.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A jazz album might do for her what Swing while you're winning did for Robbie.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    A jazz album might do for her what Swing while you're winning did for Robbie.

Doubt it. Robbie released Swing When Your Winning after a hugely successful album campaign when he was at his peak. It just continued his success, it didn't re-start it.

Additionally, Robbie had a massive fanbase to begin with... Gaga seems to have lost hers. Even Robbie had his lowest period managed pretty decent album sales. (I believe even Rudebox sold over 600k)
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    In the last 6 years she has gone from being the biggest popstar on the planet to most people outside of her fan base being bored of her eccentricities and divisive image. Her latest album received mixed reviews from critics and her sales have declined a lot since the BTW era. However, she clearly has a lot of talent and creativity still in her.

So where does she go? Does she recruit her old team who made her big in the first place? Should she return to a more "accessible pop" sound? Or should she just carry on with what she's doing and become more of a fan base artist?

Hopefully this thread can stay constructive.

Hopefully into obscurity where she can be as pretentious as she likes!
    Sorry about lack of constructiveness.
    Never liked the arrogance & pretentiousness around her- perfectly expressed in the publicity guff that appeared prior to the launch of ARTPOP.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better late than never I suppose! If this album does well it might be the career boost she needs and that can only be a good thing IMO.

Hard to say but it won't do her any harm that's for sure. It will certainly bring her to the attention of a new audience.

The video from Montreal is interesting in that it was Bennett's Jazz concert and therefore his audience. She came on after about 30 minutes. The audience weren't pre warned about it and even her fans didn't know it was happening till the last moment.

She sings the song and ends to a standing ovation and a lot of people who were no doubt sceptical now realise she has some serious Jazz pipes on her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    She's had her time ... With all the gimmicks she was never going to be an artist that was around forever.
  • HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    She needs to work with RedOne again. They were perfect together and that is one reason why The Fame/The Fame Monster worked so well, the music was simple, no hidden messages (apart from being around fame) and they just gelled. On Artpop, the only track he produced was Gypsy, which is a fan-favourite. On Born This Way, he produced Judas, Hair and Sheibe (some more stand out tracks).
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me art pop is a lot a lot more betterh than Born this way but the choices of singles didnt help it at all
    She still delivers live
    Saw her live twice in the past couple of weeks( arena and an outdoor show that had 80000 there)

She still delivers live, she just needs to cut out the ego /excentricities and release good pop song

Shes on the road for like the 6 months she wont have much time to promote to anythign for the Jazz album
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On to the next album and tour I expect. Small, intimate venues if it is a jazz record.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    She should release ARTPOP: Deluxe Edition and use a new version of Nothing On But The Radio as her first single. That song is a jam, I don't understand how it didn't make it onto any of her albums.

She should partner back up with Red One too.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    She needs to stop taking herself so seriously. She needs to make some good commercial, radio friendly pop songs and not think she's too "above" that now.
    I'd also like her to cut down on the craziness in terms of her image. When you look at the Just Dance or Pokerface video from when she first burst onto the scene, it was more about high fashion with a quirky edge, really cool, however her current image (and her current image for the past 12 months) just screams attention seeking and desperation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    The people who were with her at the beginning have gone. To me she's just a manufactured puppet that got lucky. Her creative people have left her cause of her over sized ego. She has alienated the general public and her little monsters have done her more harm than good.
    Her music now is nothing new, just generic average songs. Her early stuff was good and to me RedOne was the talent.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .. Is it down to the lake I fear?
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y_Me wrote: »
    The people who were with her at the beginning have gone. To me she's just a manufactured puppet that got lucky. Her creative people have left her cause of her over sized ego.
    She has alienated the general public and her little monsters have done her more harm than good.
    Her music now is nothing new, just generic average songs. Her early stuff was good and to me RedOne was the talent.

This is basically it. Akon even admitted it.

I also agree about RedOne. It was clear from HIS work with other artists around the same time Gaga became big that it was him who had the talent. Gaga can sing but so can many artists. Its not all about the voice. You need genuine skill to survive in the music industry and Gaga never had that.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is basically it. Akon even admitted it.

I also agree about RedOne. It was clear from HIS work with other artists around the same time Gaga became big that it was him who had the talent. Gaga can sing but so can many artists. Its not all about the voice. You need genuine skill to survive in the music industry and Gaga never had that.

That remains to be seen actually.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedOne's production discography is absolute rubbish except for about 3 songs, working with him again would be a step backwards, repeating the same tired played out sound. Ive had enough of his garbage blocking up the airwaves, she should work with a new talented up and coming producer/songwriter, one who doesn't insist on their name being shouted out all over the track.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a huge fan initially - The Fame, Fame Monster and then the Monster Ball were fantastic. The hype and all over the place promo for BTW did her no favours - and the single choices were poor.
    ArtPop was, again, a mess. Endless hype and teases only for the lead single to be one of her most insipid and bland songs. I don't hate the album - but, stripped of all the craziness and listened to as a collection of songs, it's frankly boring. Gypsy and Artpop are the only decent songs.

She's lost the support of the general music buyers so whatever she does next will have to play to her fan base - but eventually they too will outgrow her.
    All artists have a period where they appear to be struggling - it just usually comes much later. It's odd that she's gone from being potentially the biggest star in the world to essentially a niche artist in such a short time.

5 years from now I honestly think she will be done. :(
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes The Fame volume 2.