Options

Brookside: How many kids were killed off

Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I read somewhere that Brookside loved to kill off kids at any given time. How many kids did they kill off and how were they killed?

Comments

• Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somewhere that Brookside loved to kill off kids at any given time. How many kids did they kill off and how were they killed?

There were the two Farnham kids in the harrowing crash storyline

Tony Dixon was also killed after dying in hospital after being run over by Jimmy Corkhill who was high on drugs

Danny got killed after his mum jumped off a building while being chased by Barry Grant

There was a guy called Gary who was meant to be about 15 who dropped dead in a swimming pool after catching some mystery virus

sure there are more
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't 'love' it, weren't afraid to do it. There's a difference.

I'll never forget the Farnham kids. IIRC they were acting up in the back of the car putting their mother Susannah off her driving, she shouted that if they didn't behave she'd 'kill them' next thing you know she's crashed and her kids really are dead. Tragic, I cried buckets :(
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    I remember Sheila Grant's son Damon being stabbed to death, and she had his open coffin in her living room, that was very traumatic. :(
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow Brookside sounds mental. Never had the pleasure.
  • Options
    Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The teenage Murray boy murdered the girl who was bullying him she must have only been about 15.

I'll never forget the Farnham kids deaths quite easily the most upsetting soap storyline of all time.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Brookie but if they weren't killing of Kids, Helicopter Crashes, or blowing up the Parade every 5 minutes the producers weren't happy.

The insurance policy's for the Chippy, Bevs Bar, Sinbads shop, the Club, must have been Sky high.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teenage Murray boy murdered the girl who was bullying him she must have only been about 15.

I'll never forget the Farnham kids deaths quite easily the most upsetting soap storyline of all time.

She looked younger than that I would have said she was about 12/13. It was a very brave storyline having a child kill another child. I don't recall that happening in any other soap before and the only other storyline where it's happened since (to my knowledge) is Belle's manslaughter of Gemma this year in Emmerdale.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside was never scared of doing story's other soaps wouldn't.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brookside was brilliant.
    I remember the Farnham kids deaths, very sad and well acted.
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting to hear how many taboos Brookie was willing to break. It's rare enough these days that soap tackle the subject of child death. The most recent ones I recall are all infants- baby James (EE), baby Daniel (ED) and baby Billy (CS). I think that Bianca and Heath also lost a baby in Home and Away last year. Irish soap Fair City tackled the subject in 2004/05 when Dolores Malloy's three year old daughter Jessica accidentally swallowed some ecstacy tablets when she was being babysat. Quite harrowing at the time.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were the two Farnham kids in the harrowing crash storyline

Tony Dixon was also killed after dying in hospital after being run over by Jimmy Corkhill who was high on drugs

Danny got killed after his mum jumped off a building while being chased by Barry Grant

There was a guy called Gary who was meant to be about 15 who dropped dead in a swimming pool after catching some mystery virus

sure there are more

bib: Danny and his pregnant mum, Sue Sullivan, were pushed off scaffolding, by Barry Grant.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Brookside it had lots of life left in it. I think we can all sadly say they will never bring it back but they could at least stick some popular Brookside characters in Hollyoaks, it's not like they haven't had Brookside/Hollyoaks crossovers before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    bib: Danny and his pregnant mum, Sue Sullivan, were pushed off scaffolding, by Barry Grant.

What's even worse is that I don't think he ever got punished for it. He left the show for a while and then came back for a stint a few years later (during Lyndsey Corkhill's infamous gun-toting lesbian gangster phase) where he was presented as a loveable rogue, who we were all supposed to forget had murdered a pregnant woman and her infant child!
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Sheila Grant's son Damon being stabbed to death, and she had his open coffin in her living room, that was very traumatic. :(

How old was Damon at the time?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    How old was Damon at the time?

17 or 18, I think.

He died in the Damon & Debbie spin off show.:(
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Here's Susannah's car crash. Julia Brogan :( She died a year later.
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting to hear how many taboos Brookie was willing to break. It's rare enough these days that soap tackle the subject of child death. The most recent ones I recall are all infants- baby James (EE), baby Daniel (ED) and baby Billy (CS). I think that Bianca and Heath also lost a baby in Home and Away last year. Irish soap Fair City tackled the subject in 2004/05 when Dolores Malloy's three year old daughter Jessica accidentally swallowed some ecstacy tablets when she was being babysat. Quite harrowing at the time.

Going way back in Corrie, Irma And David Barlow's son was killed in a crash, David as well, Liz McDonald's baby Katie died at two days old, Maria's baby was stillborn, Bethany Platt also took Uncle David's ecstacy tablets and Alison Webster (Kev's forgotten wife) had a baby that died, then she walked into the middle of the road and under the wheels of a lorry. Billy too of course, Carla's miscarriage. Corrie is too lightweight for storylines that even last 9 months these days!