Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are we assuming that S6 will bring a car for Louisa? Even if the spectre of a move to London is taken off the table (presumably the reason she sold her car in the first place) they may still decide to be a single car family. One of the big differences I noticed between living in North America vs. the UK is that in NA everyone having a car of their own is a given. In the UK there are a lot of middle aged people running around with L plates (what, you didn't get your drivers' license at 16? How have you survived all these years?) and others who just live in communities that are human-scaled and walkable (like Portwenn, it would seem). Then there was Orkney where several of the ladies didn't drive cars but went everywhere in their tractor! For the ride out to AR's farm and for shopping trips to Delabole, Wadebridge and Truro there is always Martin's Lexus.

I don't think we are assuming she will, poorrichard. We're just discussing what might happen if she did want to buy another car.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've now watched episodes 1 and 2 of season 2. Change of hair style for Reggie, and Nicola straighter, shorter and blonder). Not only that, but the sofa changed from a purple velour to some kind of gray non-velour.

These changes happened in about 48 hours. Very weird. I think only American shows are so persnickety about continuity. You just would not see those changes in a purported 48 hour period in an American sit-com. Or at least not without some detailed exposition explaining it.

But it does put the continuity lapses in DM in perspective -- just not taken as seriously as in US shows, I guess.

(Making no value judgements here.)

Also pointing out that I have never seen, on an American show, the lead actor showing up in a dorky commercial on the same show. That IS a value judgement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Here's a link to Ep 2, part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6XjhJRB0us

Thanks SO MUCH conniej for putting up the second part! THANKS AGAIN!

I have to say I was really disappointed by the ending. All the interviews mentioned a "big twist" at the end when what we actually saw is what the show was clearly leading to all along. I felt it was a terrible denouement. In fact, I actually felt cheated, like it was a kind of lazy plot writing, to end up with what the show was indicating all along.

Martin Clunes had a bigger part in the second part, and of course he did very well. Yeah, a couple of times there is a little neck waddle, but his hair is very nice looking and so is he!

I have no idea how to do a spoiler, so I hope this doesn't ruin things, but do folks think the family is healed together afterwards?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Hey hey everyone! Week two of the 'Doc Martin Re-Watch Project' begins today... 'Gentlemen Prefer' This week the website will be updated with screencaps of that episode, and of course the poll will relate to the episode also.

Must admit it's nice to go back to the first season, the show has certainly transformed itself from back then...

http://www.docmartinonline.net/doc-martin-re-watch-project/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about Reggie Perrin, where his wife hardly pays attention to him, and has every reason for not having sex with him and then is adulterous; and then William and Mary, where he plays a very nice guy who has his relationship ruined by his partner; and A Mother's Son where he is a very nice guy whose wife's decisions, essentially, (but perhaps just temporarily?) ruins things for him and his children, I can imagine that playing DM, where HE gets to run around and proactively ruin things is probably a nice relief for MC the actor! :)
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    I sent an email to Colin Towns' office asking if he wrote the Jeff Rawls/Roger Fenn song beginning "We sailed away in a boat made of flowers. . . ." I received this reply:

"Unfortunately we are unable to help you with your request. The singing of Jeff Rawls was recorded and filmed prior to the music recording of the keyboard. And even though Colin provided the keyboard recording for the song you're looking for, the song and lyrics weren't written by him."

The search continues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It dawns on me that it must have been a bit expensive for AR to inherit AJ's home. After all, Joan had taken out several loans on the place, and if the home/land was formally transferred to AR, those loans were hers. She wasn't running the short-lived B&B anymore, so one wonders if she just paid them off from her probably somewhat considerable savings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »

I have to say I was really disappointed by the ending. All the interviews mentioned a "big twist" at the end when what we actually saw is what the show was clearly leading to all along. I felt it was a terrible denouement. In fact, I actually felt cheated, like it was a kind of lazy plot writing, to end up with what the show was indicating all along.

Martin Clunes had a bigger part in the second part, and of course he did very well. Yeah, a couple of times there is a little neck waddle, but his hair is very nice looking and so is he!

I have no idea how to do a spoiler, so I hope this doesn't ruin things, but do folks think the family is healed together afterwards?

IMHO

This wasn't the story of a murder but of how the actions of
    ' inherited ' step-children impact upon a new relationship especially when the ex is still living locally and a constant in their lives. Paul McGann is a big name here in the UK so his part was always going to be pivotal. LIkewise our beloved MC - his reaction, when it came to the crunch, was to move HIS children totally out of the scenario. His ' I do love you ' to Ro was a goodbye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking about Reggie Perrin, where his wife hardly pays attention to him, and has every reason for not having sex with him and then is adulterous; and then William and Mary, where he plays a very nice guy who has his relationship ruined by his partner; and A Mother's Son where he is a very nice guy whose wife's decisions, essentially, (but perhaps just temporarily?) ruins things for him and his children, I can imagine that playing DM, where HE gets to run around and proactively ruin things is probably a nice relief for MC the actor! :)

Adulterous? Oh, no:eek: And there probably can't be time to recover, given that the show was canceled.....

I like the way Reggie looks in the first couple of episodes -- he dresses pretty much the way we've seen MC in informal shots.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was also disappointed in the ending of the show. I kept waiting for the twist until the last moment. What I thought was going to happen was: Ben has just confessed to the murder to his mother, as they are walking in to the police station they see the police bringing another boy/girl in handcuffs whom they have just arrested for the murder. Mom and Ben look at each other and then quietly get back in the car and drive away. Or something like that. But other parts of the show were pretty good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Adulterous? Oh, no:eek: And there probably can't be time to recover, given that the show was canceled.....

I like the way Reggie looks in the first couple of episodes -- he dresses pretty much the way we've seen MC in informal shots.

Are you perhaps thinking of the way Reggie looked in S2? MC's looks changed significantly from S1 to S2. In S2 he sort of looked like MC in real life, but in S1 not so much. In S1 he had long, straight hair, pulled back behind his ears - not the best look IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was also disappointed in the ending of the show. I kept waiting for the twist until the last moment. What I thought was going to happen was: Ben has just confessed to the murder to his mother, as they are walking in to the police station they see the police bringing another boy/girl in handcuffs whom they have just arrested for the murder. Mom and Ben look at each other and then quietly get back in the car and drive away. Or something like that. But other parts of the show were pretty good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you perhaps thinking of the way Reggie looked in S2? MC's looks changed significantly from S1 to S2. In S2 he sort of looked like MC in real life, but in S1 not so much. In S1 he had long, straight hair, pulled back behind his ears - not the best look IMO.

yes, the second series.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    IMHO

' inherited ' step-children impact upon a new relationship especially when the ex is still living locally and a constant in their lives. Paul McGann is a big name here in the UK so his part was always going to be pivotal. LIkewise our beloved MC - his reaction, when it came to the crunch, was to move HIS children totally out of the scenario. His ' I do love you ' to Ro was a goodbye.

And the other ex seems to be a constant too, since Ben seems to still be visiting his wife's grave quite often. Interesting that his "I do love you" line was identical to the DM line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    IMHO

Well, there's no reason the audience can't believe they can get back together. The mother did the right thing, she turned her son in, she's taken responsibility. Now she has to grieve that, but I'm not sure that Ben and her would not attempt a reconciliation. He was right to remove his daughter from the house, but mainly I thought he was frustrated at the stagnancy of her action due to her motherly love. I don't see their separation at the end as a final absolute setting for divorce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »

One also wonders if Jamie's dad is going to get into trouble. The police will find out that he blatantly lied to them--about being home when Jamie visited, which Jamie did not do--to protect his son. One would think the mom would welcome Ben back into her life for support, and that he might be amenable now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, there's no reason the audience can't believe they can get back together. The mother did the right thing, she turned her son in, she's taken responsibility. Now she has to grieve that, but I'm not sure that Ben and her would not attempt a reconciliation. He was right to remove his daughter from the house, but mainly I thought he was frustrated at the stagnancy of her action due to her motherly love. I don't see their separation at the end as a final absolute setting for divorce.

I think they'll attempt a reconciliation. I'm just not sure it will work. The effects of this event, the suspicion, the secrecy, the understandable dithering (one moment facing facts; the next avoiding them), that kind of thing will have an effect. Of course, at one point, before MC's character understood what was happening, he asked his wife, "Are we so fragile?" So we're left to wonder. Will they give it a shot? If so, will they succeed? This is no Brady Bunch and they've been through something devastating. I just don't know.

Connie, thank you so very much for posting this! Wonderful of you to help us out, give us the opportunity to see it.

Hey, did anyone else have a reaction to MC's loud shouting out, "Just do it!" to his kids when he was trying to get them out of the house and the daughter balked? He was channeling the Doc!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I think they'll attempt a reconciliation. I'm just not sure it will work. The effects of this event, the suspicion, the secrecy, the understandable dithering (one moment facing facts; the next avoiding them), that kind of thing will have an effect. Of course, at one point, before MC's character understood what was happening, he asked his wife, "Are we so fragile?" So we're left to wonder. Will they give it a shot? If so, will they succeed? This is no Brady Bunch and they've been through something devastating. I just don't know.

/QUOTE]
    Given that the divorce rate for blended families is estimated at over 60%, I would think the chance of a reconciliation is minimal. There are just too many issues between them and love is often not enough to sustain a relationship.

To circle back to Doc Martin, wasn't that in some ways what both Martin and Louisa have been saying in Series 3,4,5. That they love each other, but have real issues that may mean they can't be together? Of course, hopefully, they will learn to communicate better to resolve their problems.

Thank you Connie for uploading the movie.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Having worked for a large corporation, there is SO much to love in this show. Of course it is very exaggerated, but there is a kernel of truth to most of what is happening to Reggie and the people he works with. As much as I hated playing the games that you must when in that world, you have to play them to a certain extent or you won't last a week.

What was great about Reggie is that he understood that it was all a game and didn't allow it to take his soul. I have known many people over the years who took that corporate crap too seriously. They tended to burn out after awhile - and I think that is really what this show is all about.

Shop Girl - your post really gave me lots to think about just what is going in the the real world today, especially in US corporate and academic culture. My three children have computers where they are hooked up to their jobs - they are technologicaly attached by a computer umbilical cord to their employer on the days they can work from their homes. Reggie Perrin addressed so well in that series just what is going on all over. Yes, the scripts were not as well written as they could have been, but we did "get it". I have always felt sad that ITV didn't back up that series by sticking with it, but now that there has been a pause, perhaps a rethink would be in order - especially in the second series where they are both out of work, the refusal of Reggie to go back to his wife (good for him - she needs to be written out of that series). So much more needs to be addressed along this storyline which spills over to every working person in the real world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    Biffpup wrote: »

/QUOTE]
    Given that the divorce rate for blended families is estimated at over 60%, I would think the chance of a reconciliation is minimal. There are just too many issues between them and love is often not enough to sustain a relationship.

To circle back to Doc Martin, wasn't that in some ways what both Martin and Louisa have been saying in Series 3,4,5. That they love each other, but have real issues that may mean they can't be together? Of course, hopefully, they will learn to communicate better to resolve their problems.

Thank you Connie for uploading the movie.

I'm not sure I see all the "issues". Which issues do they have? Yes, each parent felt more capable of dealing with their own children, but remember, they were only married and living together for seven weeks, a very short time.

If the family has some serious counseling, and love exists between the parents, then I think there is a chance they could indeed try things again. The only issue I saw was the mom not fully comprehending the facts of her son's actions. She's learned a lesson, and she ends closer to her son, holding hands than she was throughout the show. Everything else was very reasonable regarding the situation, I thought. No one stepped over any irreparable boundaries, and one theme throughout was the the resilient love people have in difficult times for their families. One might think that could extend to the parents getting back together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »

It's too late to edit my post - I meant the son - I was thinking his name is Ben but that is Martin Clunes' character's name.

I think the marriage is over.She is going to be consumed with her son's situation, and he would understandably not want his children to have to go through all that trauma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »

I'm not sure I see all the "issues". Which issues do they have? Yes, each parent felt more capable of dealing with their own children, but remember, they were only married and living together for seven weeks, a very short time.

If the family has some serious counseling, and love exists between the parents, then I think there is a chance they could indeed try things again. The only issue I saw was the mom not fully comprehending the facts of her son's actions. She's learned a lesson, and she ends closer to her son, holding hands than she was throughout the show. Everything else was very reasonable regarding the situation, I thought. No one stepped over any irreparable boundaries, and one theme throughout was the the resilient love people have in difficult times for their families. One might think that could extend to the parents getting back together.

It's certainly possible. I actually think counseling would be a requirement for the entire family, Mom, Dad, the three kids. They may be able to do it. I think we're not meant to know. The lingering speculation was built in.

It was nice seeing MC in an extremely serious role, btw. He's so, so talented.

Meant to say earlier that I agree with those of you who were a little disappointed in the way this ended. I think the problem is that the pre-airing publicity led us to believe there would be a big twist ending and that didn't happen. The plot took us right where we thought it would from the start. Maybe the other kid being arrested was the "twist". Not sure.

MC's school blazer-wearing son reminded me so much of that gay kid from "Glee" who ended up going off to a private school. Same hair, same stature, same clothing, similar facial expressions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent an email to Colin Towns' office asking if he wrote the Jeff Rawls/Roger Fenn song beginning "We sailed away in a boat made of flowers. . . ." I received this reply:

"Unfortunately we are unable to help you with your request. The singing of Jeff Rawls was recorded and filmed prior to the music recording of the keyboard. And even though Colin provided the keyboard recording for the song you're looking for, the song and lyrics weren't written by him."

The search continues.

Thanks for doing that. Excellent that you got a response. I'm curious about both Roger's song and the one the band played at the wedding reception. It's odd that no credit was given for either song, which I guess is what led me to think they must both be Colin's. At least now we can strike that off the list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S1 Ep.1 'Going Bodmin'......Here's my two cents' worth!

2. I thought it was kind of strange that Martin had to stop and ask directions to Joan's farm. I realize it had been a while since he had been there, but I don't know if I'm convinced he wouldn't know the way back.

Several times each year when I was a kid my family would spend a couple of weeks with grandparents. My grandfather had a farm several miles out from town. My brother and I rode with him to and from the farm every day of every visit.

We were surprised, though, when we were grown and our grandparents had passed away, and we attempted to drive there on own own. We both missed a couple of turns, had to backtrack, questioned our decisions as to turning here or there. We thought getting there would be second nature; we wouldn't even have to give it any thought. Keep in mind to get there we had to travel on assorted narrow, winding country roads and several gravel and dirt roads, and most of these roads weren't marked. No street signs or highway signs or any signs on these little country roads.

So it's different riding with someone as a child, even a zillion times, and actually driving there on one's own, especially if on unmarked country roads and if a number of years have gone by.
This discussion has been closed.