EastEnders gets 6.82 million viewers in November

Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a437449/hollyoaks-achieves-best-rated-friday-first-look-in-two-months.html I think this is a little concerning and definitely is a big underperformance especially for November.

Beaten by Emmerdale and I think the argument that Emmerdale is still receiving an artifical bounce from the 40th anniversary week is starting to wear a bit thin.

I expected or rather many others argued that they expected ratings to pick up at this time of year not go down.

What can EastEnders do if anything to turn the tide?

Comments

• Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Oh dear...
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear...

My sentiments too!
  • FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you going to bore us all with a new thread every time EastEnders posts an abnormal figure for the time of the year? There is a soap ratings thread to discuss things like this rather than cluttering up the place with a new thread every other week.
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not surprised, EE has been every bit as dire these past few weeks as it could possibly be! Many appear to be simply turning off, be it altogether or temporarily....unsurprisingly! It doesn't help when the Masoods ever increasing circles of tedium hold centre stage. Throw that in with a somewhat expected underwhelming return from Sharon (after much hype) and dumbass Kim's food hygeine matter - and oh yeah, whos' Kat's lover!! :yawn:- then it's certainly back in the doldrums. I'm personally not really looking forward to the show's saviour (the Christmas eps) that much either.....:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you going to bore us all with a new thread every time EastEnders posts an abnormal figure for the time of the year? There is a soap ratings thread to discuss things like this rather than cluttering up the place with a new thread every other week.

Your post seems to concede there will be many more occasions were the show has abnormal ratings for this time of year if Im allegedly in danger of cluttering up the forum.

The soap ratings thread isnt specifically about EastEnders issues.A new thread with a new title will encourage others to particiapte who wouldnt look at the soap ratings thread.

But if this bores you I understand that posting on this thread and looking at it is voluntary.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I switched EE off about a year ago, though I still dip in now and again in case anything interesting is happening.

What I would never do is start numerous threads which are little more than baiting EE fans.

Green Knickers - if you don't like it, don't watch it, but stop creating threads designed to wind up fans. What do you actually gain from it? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I switched EE off about a year ago, though I still dip in now and again in case anything interesting is happening.

What I would never do is start numerous threads which are little more than baiting EE fans.

Green Knickers - if you don't like it, don't watch it, but stop creating threads designed to wind up fans. What do you actually gain from it? :mad:

Im not trying to wind anybody up.EastEnders could still turn itself around but im not confident it will do so.I wish to continue watching the show but the shows quality is making it hard to do so.
    I dont buy your indignation to be frank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your post seems to concede there will be many more occasions were the show has abnormal ratings for this time of year if Im allegedly in danger of cluttering up the forum.

The soap ratings thread isnt specifically about EastEnders issues.A new thread with a new title will encourage others to particiapte who wouldnt look at the soap ratings thread.

But if this bores you I understand that posting on this thread and looking at it is voluntary.

No, I am not conceding, so do not dare assume that. This isn't the first time you've came on here and started a thread about the ratings. You seem to have a problem with starting loads of threads on the same subject, like that Cafe de Paris waiter whose tweets kept generating new threads from you.

As someone who has lurked the boards for a while I can assure you that there used to be in-depth discussion on the soap ratings threads without the need to start new threads on a regular basis. The last thread you started only managed to encourage about several pages of pointless debate that went round in circles, and that was when it wasn't being constantly bumped by yourself whenever it disappeared off the radar.

All soaps go through peaks and troughs. I'm sure in time, EastEnders will rise from the ashes like the majestic phoenix, and it will be absolute bliss. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful ratings. Is there an excuse this time? This time last year wasn't Eastenders getting over 8m most nights:confused: maybe it will pick up near Xmas.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    Awful ratings. Is there an excuse this time? This time last year wasn't Eastenders getting over 8m most nights:confused: maybe it will pick up near Xmas.

Not with the storylines they have coming up.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I am not conceding, so do not dare assume that. This isn't the first time you've came on here and started a thread about the ratings. You seem to have a problem with starting loads of threads on the same subject, like that Cafe de Paris waiter whose tweets kept generating new threads from you.

As someone who has lurked the boards for a while I can assure you that there used to be in-depth discussion on the soap ratings threads without the need to start new threads on a regular basis. The last thread you started only managed to encourage about several pages of pointless debate that went round in circles, and that was when it wasn't being constantly bumped by yourself whenever it disappeared off the radar.

All soaps go through peaks and troughs. I'm sure in time, EastEnders will rise from the ashes like the majestic phoenix, and it will be absolute bliss. :cool:

I've not noticed the OP making loads of threads on the same subject. I think you're being a little harsh.
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a437449/hollyoaks-achieves-best-rated-friday-first-look-in-two-months.html I think this is a little concerning and definitely is a big underperformance especially for November.

Beaten by Emmerdale and I think the argument that Emmerdale is still receiving an artifical bounce from the 40th anniversary week is starting to wear a bit thin.

I expected or rather many others argued that they expected ratings to pick up at this time of year not go down.

What can EastEnders do if anything to turn the tide?

I've really enjoyed the 2010 - 2012 era of the show and I think there is a fantastic cast list at the moment, but the last three or four weeks I've been a little bored watching it. I think it's just been a bad month for the show and ratings will increase a lot, especially with Christmas coming up. Also Emmerdale has been very good lately and had more going on than Eastenders has.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    IMO Eastenders has been in a bad place since the murder reveal. There isn't a single s/l that interests me and I'm not excited at the prospect of a Branning Christmas.
    I've started skipping episodes but will start watching again once Bianca, Carol and Shirley are back.

It's not the first time the show has been in a bad place.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree with these posts.

BiB yeah and now the thread is as dead as a doornail.
    I try to keep it up to date.

Yes EE is having a bad year y-o-y but it's still averaging 1m above Emmerdale {Jan-Oct]
    I hope you start a thread when it gets it's biggest ratings since Jan at the end of the month and beats the biggest drama on tv on xmas day;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    I've not noticed the OP making loads of threads on the same subject. I think you're being a little harsh.

Thank you very much.

I am concerned that the BBC is guilty of complacency.Lorraine has been in post since March and its my personal view that theres little discernable improvement.
    If the argument is we cant comment or evaluate her work even partially until January then I personally think that such a mentality is damaging the BBC generally as it reeks of complacency and aloofness.
    It isnt Lorraine saying dont evaluate what I put onscreen until January its people who are defending her in a misguided and overlydefensive manner in my opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    IMO Eastenders has been in a bad place since the murder reveal. There isn't a single s/l that interests me and I'm not excited at the prospect of a Branning Christmas.
    I've started skipping episodes but will start watching again once Bianca, Carol and Shirley are back.

It's not the first time the show has been in a bad place.

Not having enough characters I like or care for is a big problem.

How confident are you say out of 10 that the show can be pulled around within 12 months?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the argument is we cant comment or evaluate her work even partially until January then I personally think that such a mentality is damaging the BBC generally as it reeks of complacency and aloofness.

Have you been watching the news lately? The BBC have bigger things to concern itself with than the performance of EastEnders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you been watching the news lately? The BBC have bigger things to concern itself with than the performance of EastEnders.

Of course I have but complacency plays a part in the disintergration of many big organisations and they should be vigilant of that danger as the BBCs enemies are circling like sharks.I would argue complacency played a part in the Saville scandal,Newsnight debacle and the decline in EastEnders although obviously the consequences in each situation i different in type and severity.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Not having enough characters I like or care for is a big problem.

How confident are you say out of 10 that the show can be pulled around within 12 months?

Hard question. I'd say that the show can easily pulled round if they start developing characters. Too many of them are stuck in a rut.
    In her interview she promised development for Kat, Alfie, Bianca, Lola, Lauren, Poppy and Shirley, so that's a good start.
    Her vision of bringing warmth and friendships to the show sounds promising.
    I'm hoping that once Christmas is out of the way there will be a marked improvement.
    I am optimistic..so 8/10:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    Hard question. I'd say that the show can easily pulled round if they start developing characters. Too many of them are stuck in a rut.
    In her interview she promised development for Kat, Alfie, Bianca, Lola, Lauren, Poppy and Shirley, so that's a good start.
    Her vision of bringing warmth and friendships to the show sounds promising.
    I'm hoping that once Christmas is out of the way there will be a marked improvement.
    I am optomistic..so 8/10:)

There are some positives from that interview if their enacted as indicated and i guess only time can tell if they are.The possibility of less teen angst and Peter Beales maybe return and capitalising on Danielle Harolds recognition are all hopeful signs.
    I noted her comment on characters needing to be complex and 3d and not just about their relationships.I agree with that notion but Im curious which characters she feels are not 3d in this regard and whether in general she feels there are any characters who are 2d in a more general sense and not worth keeping.
  • Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Green Knickers is hardly "baiting" EE fans, as many of us on here are EE fans who are probably mostly in agreement with the OP re the current state of the show. I've mostly been watching since the show started up in 1985 so I'm no jumping on the anti bandwagon merchant who's only been watching it for 10 years or so! To put it simply, the show isn't at all captivating at the mo. and we simply wish to discuss why! Also if there was a specific section dedicated to "EE bashing", it would probably be largely unseen if it was off the main topics page. There's nowt wrong with constructive criticism as EE has been very "see through" poor for some time now!
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is so melodramatic. I thought it was common knowledge by now that EastEnders ratings go in peaks and troughs. This is hardly on the same level as the 6.2m situation in 2005. Lorraine Newman is still in a transition period into the show, most of these storylines at the moment had their roots in the BK era.

I'm quite frankly getting sick of all these threads on EastEnders every time the ratings fall slightly. I certainly didn't see this many threads when Coronation Street ratings were crashing down just last year.

Of course only time will tell, but these threads blowing everything out of proportion serve no purpose. We'll see how things go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    This thread is so melodramatic. I thought it was common knowledge by now that EastEnders ratings go in peaks and troughs. This is hardly on the same level as the 6.2m situation in 2005. Lorraine Newman is still in a transition period into the show, most of these storylines at the moment had their roots in the BK era.

I'm quite frankly getting sick of all these threads on EastEnders every time the ratings fall slightly. I certainly didn't see this many threads when Coronation Street ratings were crashing down just last year.

Of course only time will tell, but these threads blowing everything out of proportion serve no purpose. We'll see how things go.

I 100% agree that if Coronation Street suffers in the ratings they should be picked up on that also. But if no Corrie fans pick up on that when it occurs and start a thread an EastEnders fan should start the thread instead and point out that a Corrie fan should take their head out of the sand and should have started a thread.
    Just like this concerned EastEnders fan has started a thread.
    Its correct that its a tad hypocritical if Corrie isnt pulled up to by its fanbase over low ratings if their gloating over EastEnders ratings.
    I am a fan of the three big soaps.
  • ReisOreillyReisOreilly Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Agree with these posts.

BiB yeah and now the thread is as dead as a doornail.
    I try to keep it up to date.

Yes EE is having a bad year y-o-y but it's still averaging 1m above Emmerdale {Jan-Oct]
    I hope you start a thread when it gets it's biggest ratings since Jan at the end of the month and beats the biggest drama on tv on xmas day;)

No a lot of the time Emmerdale does better and has done for a faw years now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No a lot of the time Emmerdale does better and has done for a faw years now

Emmerdale does seem to be closing the gap more often.I think EastEnders an Emmerdale are going to compete more often for second place in the soap ratings.
This discussion has been closed.