Bob Servant Independant: Starting Weds 23rd Jan 10pm BBC4

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
Forum Member
I've seen trailers for this on BBC4 and it looks promising. Starring Brian Cox (no, not the science bod :D) it's the tv version of the book and radio plays about a Scottish cheeseburger tycoon who decides to stand in a local by-election. Looks quite funny from the clips :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wwyrh

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've seen trailers for this on BBC4 and it looks promising. Starring Brian Cox (no, not the science bod :D) it's the tv version of the book and radio plays about a Scottish cheeseburger tycoon who decides to stand in a local by-election. Looks quite funny from the clips :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wwyrh
    I saw him plugging it on a couple of programmes last week and also read an article about it on the BBC website.

Never caught the radio series but may tune into the tv series.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/bob-servant-media-pack.html
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I saw him plugging it on a couple of programmes last week and also read an article about it on the BBC website.

Never caught the radio series but may tune into the tv series.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/bob-servant-media-pack.html

Thanks for the link, Degsy.

I'll give the show a go. I love BBC4, they usually get it right! Fingers crossed this will be worth watching, they've had some really good comedies on in the past.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this it looks funny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone watch this tonight?
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did. Quite enjoyed it; it reminded me a bit of Alan Partridge.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see a single promo for this, was just flicking through the EPG after watching a film to see if anything was worth recording on BBC4 and spotted the repeat. So I'll post about it sometime later this week.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    It was Funny.:eek:....I liked.:)

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't see a single promo for this, was just flicking through the EPG after watching a film to see if anything was worth recording on BBC4 and spotted the repeat. So I'll post about it sometime later this week.
    Seen 3 or 4 trailers for this and Brain Cox was on The One Show last week.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Starting to watch now set in a Dundee suburb so have to watch
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dire and unfunny, not even second-rate - cancelled the series link.

Third-rate, perhaps...
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hit and miss more miss than hit although I am not a massive fan of Scottish comedy
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remembered the guy who played his sidekick from BBC Scotland 80s sketch show Naked Video
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn,missed it! The Radio version was brilliant,but I thought the idea of that was Bob Servant answering genuine scam emails and these then `acted out` as voices (Felix Dexter as an African conman was hilarious). I dunno if it`ll work on tv,but Brian Cox is always good value,and it`s had a good review in the Metro.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Hit and miss more miss than hit although I am not a massive fan of Scottish comedy

`Absolutely` was probably the greatest comedy ever made.
    Forum Member
    mevilhoney wrote: »
    Damn,missed it! The Radio version was brilliant,but I thought the idea of that was Bob Servant answering genuine scam emails and these then `acted out` as voices (Felix Dexter as an African conman was hilarious). I dunno if it`ll work on tv,but Brian Cox is always good value,and it`s had a good review in the Metro.

If you click on the link I posted at the top of this page and scroll down to where it says 'Bob Servant Independant: the Don of Dundee,' the writer explains about how he was asked to create the character for tv after the play and book.

I recorded it last night so I haven't seen it yet, but if it's more miss than hit I'm going to give it more than one show to give it a chance.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    "Gary: Tank Commander" is wonderful.
    Forum Member

I loved Absolutely! And I used to like Rab C Nesbitt, not so much the later few series though. I remember Naked Video too, used to love that. Wasn't John Sparkes in that and Absolutely or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: Yes he was Siadwell (or however you spell it) in Naked Video!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

Didn't the guy who plays Gary also play the DJ in last night's show??
    Forum Member
    Just watched it and it's not bad, but I'll stick with it. I'm not going to write something off after one episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Absolutely! And I used to like Rab C Nesbitt, not so much the later few series though. I remember Naked Video too, used to love that. Wasn't John Sparkes in that and Absolutely or am I thinking of something else?

Edit: Yes he was Siadwell (or however you spell it) in Naked Video!

An `Absolutely` fan,great! If ever Scotland get independence and they hold the Olympics,they should hold it in Stonybridge! John Spakes was such a highlight with Morwenna Banks,didn`t know he used the same character in Naked Video (that hardly seemed to run in England),have to check it out. And how could I forget Rab C Nesbitt? Not really a comedy,more a documentary! And quality did wane,but what a show. As for Bob Servant,Brian Cox always seems to play pretty serious roles (he was the first Hannibal Lecter in the film `Manhunter`(?) so the prospect of him playing comedy in a series is just great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »

New one on me,ever shown in England?And I`m scratching my head thinking of a recent Scottish sitcom that aired down here,late-ish at night,past year or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you click on the link I posted at the top of this page and scroll down to where it says 'Bob Servant Independant: the Don of Dundee,' the writer explains about how he was asked to create the character for tv after the play and book.

I recorded it last night so I haven't seen it yet, but if it's more miss than hit I'm going to give it more than one show to give it a chance.

Cheers for the link,wondered how this all started,I heard it totally by accident on the radio and almost died from laughter.
    Forum Member
    An `Absolutely` fan,great! If ever Scotland get independence and they hold the Olympics,they should hold it in Stonybridge! John Spakes was such a highlight with Morwenna Banks,didn`t know he used the same character in Naked Video (that hardly seemed to run in England),have to check it out. And how could I forget Rab C Nesbitt? Not really a comedy,more a documentary! And quality did wane,but what a show. As for Bob Servant,Brian Cox always seems to play pretty serious roles (he was the first Hannibal Lecter in the film `Manhunter`(?) so the prospect of him playing comedy in a series is just great.

I keep meaning to buy Absolutely on dvd but it always seems to be out of my price range. Must check Amazon and see if it's any cheaper. My friends at school loved it too, we used to think shouting 'Stonybridge' at each other was hilarious :D What was the name of the pervy old man played by John Sparkes? He used to go on about 'quim' :eek: :D That and Morwenna Banks as the little girl on the table were two of my favourite bits.

"It is, it's twue!"

I always remember watching Naked Video, I think it was on a Friday night or a Tuesday night and I know it's where Gregor Fisher's Baldy Man came from and also Elaine C Smith was in it who also played his wife in Rab C Nesbitt. I can also remember Helen Lederer being in NV too.
    Forum Member
    Cheers for the link,wondered how this all started,I heard it totally by accident on the radio and almost died from laughter.

I wish I'd heard the radio show, sounds better than the tv show (so far).
  • Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think it was that brilliant but will give it another go next week.

Don't remember Naked Video or Absolutely Rab C Nesbitt was good but I think the best Scottish comedy series was Still Game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep meaning to buy Absolutely on dvd but it always seems to be out of my price range. Must check Amazon and see if it's any cheaper. My friends at school loved it too, we used to think shouting 'Stonybridge' at each other was hilarious :DWhat was the name of the pervy old man played by John Sparkes? He used to go on about 'quim' :eek: :D That and Morwenna Banks as the little girl on the table were two of my favourite bits.

"It is, it's twue!"

I always remember watching Naked Video, I think it was on a Friday night or a Tuesday night and I know it's where Gregor Fisher's Baldy Man came from and also Elaine C Smith was in it who also played his wife in Rab C Nesbitt. I can also remember Helen Lederer being in NV too.

BIB,could be his Frank Bovis (?) character, a comedian who delivered his act sitting on a toilet,I`m sure. But he did have an even seedier character iirc,a bit like out of Father Ted.
    My favourite was probably Morwenna doing her teenage boy character,he was kind of sad rather than comic though.
    You`re right about Naked Video and Baldy Man--it must have been a big hit,he got that cigar ad out of it and hios own show.
    I`ve been meaning to get the Absolutely dvd set too,some great reviews in Amazon. Kind of back on topic,I always thought Gordon Brown was a strangely` Absolutely`-type comic guy,dunno why. In fact Scottish politics seems a pretty rich vein to mine,again I dunno why. Delusions of grandeur?