Ashes to Ashes Sony TV Coming Soon!

ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
Forum Member
I've just been watching Soldier Soldier and saw a trailer for Ashes to Ashes. No date given, just coming soon. I've seen Life on Mars (which I loved) but I've never seen ATA. Is it as good as LOM?

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it`s terrible. Like Carry On Life on Mars. Best avoided if you ask me.....
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    No, it`s terrible. Like Carry On Life on Mars. Best avoided if you ask me.....

Thanks for your input, Straker :) I'm still going to give it a try though :p

What did you think of LOM?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input, Straker :) I'm still going to give it a try though :p

What did you think of LOM?

I thought I liked it at the time but I had occasion to go back and rewatch a couple of eps last year and I found it didn`t hold up for me anymore. Having said that the quality difference between LOM and A2A should be obvious for all to see. They had a far better grasp of the seventies setting for the original which served as a solid foundation for all the stories that came from it but the eighties production design on A2A was too superficial, cliched and done for comedy effect and as a result it wasn`t possible to take it seriously. That and it essentially being just a re-run of LOM makes it entirely redundant IMO.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I saw it when it originally aired ( having never seen Life on Mars ) and I thought it was petty bad.

Monotonous and messy.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed both shows. Do give Ashes to Ashes a watch.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been watching Soldier Soldier and saw a trailer for Ashes to Ashes. No date given, just coming soon. I've seen Life on Mars (which I loved) but I've never seen ATA. Is it as good as LOM?

No no no - don't go there. It'll hurt your eyes!

Ashes To Ashes wasn't remotely as good as Life On Mars because it was an insult to the original. I can see why John Simm refused to be involved anymore as it was only ever going to go one way and that was downhill, sharpish. The only good thing remaining in Ashes To Ashes was the character of Gene Hunt. And at a push, a nice Bowie song.
  • sussex_seagirlsussex_seagirl Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would give it a try and see what you think. I liked LOM but loved A2A. (I'm obviously in the minority here!) A2A has a very different feel to LOM -different place, different decade, different dynamic (although you might feel that series 3 is more LOM-like).

I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred Ashes To Ashes if anything. And if you watched Life On Mars you have to watch it because it answers some of the questions about LOM.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's pretty good. But I think Life on Mars for me has probably been the best TV show for at least since 2000. So any show would find it difficult to match up to it.

ATA feels a bit lightweight in comparison and not as thorougly realised as Life on Mars. I felt it was almost like a spoof of LoM and its comedy felt like it was trying to play too much on what was felt to be popular about LoM. Especially in regard to Gene Hunt who they knew by now had become popular with the public. So it felt a bit forced and cliched. But I think you should still like it as its along the same lines as LoM and is better than the majority of dramas.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A2A has its moments. Unfortunately it also has lots (and lots ... and lots ) of moments of Keely Hawes' character whining on about her child and her family and ... well, I'm giving away the plot (actually, I'm not).

The writers obviously cottoned on to the major characters from LoM and tried to turn A2A into The Gene Hunt Show which only partially worked. He's defintiely the major character in A2A and outclasses KH every time. Some of their interactions are very good, but they've overdone her character (and sme of the others) to the detriment of the show, IMHO.

It's still better than 99% of the stuff on TV, but perhaps not up to LoM. But that might be due to LoM's originality.
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like both. although the last ep of A2A is brilliant!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies! I'm going to watch it to make my own mind up, but it seems to divide opinion! Being born in the mid 70's I grew up in the 80's so I was interested from that perspective and also as I'd watched LOM I wanted to follow on with the it (and I loved Gene Hunt :D) I need to re-watch LOM as I've only seen it once and I'd like to reacquaint myself with things. I didn't know it was being repeated on Sony TV, they are on series two episode five at the moment so I've missed the boat there!

I don't know when ATA starts so I'll have to keep an eye out and post on this thread with a start date for anyone who's interested.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashes to Ashes is just as good as Life on Mars, definitely give it a watch.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Life on Mars, but didn't enjoy Ashes to Ashes. It started well, and the first episode was good, and I did like the clothes and the 80s memories, but in the end, I just didn't like it much. Gene Hunt was a bit more caricatured, the main woman got quite annoying in my opinion, and I didn't think it had the depth of Life on Mars. But don't let that put you off.
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »

It's funny how some say it's nowhere near as good and others say it's just as good, it's quite a difference :) I didn't realise there were three series of it, I thought there were only one or two. I'll definitely give it a chance, I don't know how I missed it the first time round. Mind you, I didn't see LOM at the time either, a friend at work recommended it and I borrowed his DVDs a few years ago. I liked it so much I watched the first series in one go and the second series the next day! I'm going to have to invest in them, they're reasonably priced on Amazon at the moment.
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »

I liked both too. Well worth a try.:)
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny how some say it's nowhere near as good and others say it's just as good, it's quite a difference :) I didn't realise there were three series of it, I thought there were only one or two. I'll definitely give it a chance, I don't know how I missed it the first time round. Mind you, I didn't see LOM at the time either, a friend at work recommended it and I borrowed his DVDs a few years ago. I liked it so much I watched the first series in one go and the second series the next day! I'm going to have to invest in them, they're reasonably priced on Amazon at the moment.
    Ashes to Ashes wraps things up from Life on Mars, so it's worth watching anyway

I thought it was the same quality as Life On Mars, but I guess we all think differently. I loved both of them to be honest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A2A is worth sticking with - the first series was relatively disappointing, however the 2nd and 3rd were close to LoM quality for me, with the last episode being an absolute pearler...
    Forum Member
    This is on tonight at 9pm (and 10pm Sony TV+1).
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Loved A2A, brilliant telly, I watched that first and then tried LOM but couldnt get into it. I shall watch it all again I think :) fire up the Quatro :D
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I preferred Ashes to Ashes over Life On Mars.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Ahhhh, this is brilliant, shame I know whats coming though .
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    The first series of A2A was very hit and miss, Keeley Hawes' character being quite unlikable for too many episodes imo. That said, I thought the second series was excellent. It built up the tension and character arcs far better than the final series of LOST that I seem to recall airing at around the same time. I would say A2A series 2 wiped the floor with the final series of LOST.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this is it's first full repeat since original transmission on the Beeb isn't it?

(Think LOM managed a few runs on various channels since original transmission! )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FFS, according to Sky search it's not repeated other than on the +1 channel, so I've missed the first episode. I know I've seen it, but would have liked to have watched from the start again. What's the point of constantly trailing stuff with 'Coming Soon...' but never actually letting slip WHEN?!?!?!

Bloody Sony, the great… soft… sissy… girlie… nancy… French… bender… Man United supporting P**FS! :D