Options

Would they ever Retcon the Enterprise?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,094
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having watched X Men Days of Future Part and seen the biggest Retcon EVER...
It got me thinking... What other icons could be Retconned?

Would they ever replace TOS Enterprise with the new movie one?
In a future re-issued TOS release I mean.

I'm assuming the fan reaction would not be good! :o

Comments

• Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I had to look up Retcon. Apparently it means RETroactive CONtinuity. What a silly world we live in at times.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I doubt we'll ever see a revamped TOS Trek show, such things are better left to the big screen - though there's no reason that a show couldn't follow on from the new universe.

With regard to fan approval (or not), I enjoyed the new films for what they are; entertainment. I figure most of the people who shot it down simply can't let go of the past and are stuck there. The original TOS series (and other series) were subjects of their time. People don't like the newer films because they're modern - what's wrong with modern?

People will shoot down the plot, and make everyone aware of the inconsistencies conventionally forgetting that Trek is full of lame plots and inconsistencies throughout. People did the same with ST:Enterprise (Archer and co) - I personally loved the show, it's one of my favourites, if not my preferred Trek show because it's more ... credible - it's more us, it's darker, it's less happy, and lets face it, when humanity does get into space, we're going to bring death and destruction with us. :P
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Indeed, people forget that when a series like Star Trek/Doctor Who etc are brought back after a long time off air, they're not just going to pick up from where they left off and make the same show/film again.

No, they're going to cherry pick the best of what worked from the old series and use those elements like fairy dust to sprinkle over something more modern.

Personally I loved the more modern films.
    The Onion did a famous parody about how "Star Trek fans blast the new movie as enjoyable and entertaining, not what Star Trek should be about" and while they take things to extremes for satire purposes, there is a lot of truth in that.
    Saying that, the Trek series were always more cerebral than the movies, which were traditionally action romps, so I have no problem with the action quotient in the newer films.
    Plus there was some fantastic character moments too, particularly being more daring with Spock than the ever before (of course the fans cried foul of this...

That said, there's hardly ANY space opera based shows on TV any more so I'd like Trek to once again start a revival of that particular genre.