Options

Sony budget console £59

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27774813

What does everybody think of this? I reckon it just be PS2 technology with maybe some streaming for newer games? Any ideas?

I expect Apple to enter the games market with Apple TV eventually too.

Comments

• Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's the PS-Vita in a STbox that's available in Japan?

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark A wrote: »
    Maybe it's the PS-Vita in a STbox that's available in Japan?

Regards

Mark

yeah it is,its the PS Vita TV,which is great as it now gives us PS4 Multiroom
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see it being £59 (more like £80 - £90 over here) but yeah, it's PS TV, formally known as Vita TV. It will let you play (selected) Vita, PS One and PSP games on your TV as well as PS Now and PS4 remote play and a number of media service.

I'll probably pick one up, perfect for the bedroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see it being £59 (more like £80 - £90 over here) but yeah, it's PS TV, formally known as Vita TV. It will let you play (selected) Vita, PS One and PSP games on your TV as well as PS Now and PS4 remote play and a number of media service.

I'll probably pick one up, perfect for the bedroom.

yeah it will make a great console for the kids bedroom
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    This is essentially a Vita TV console, and remote play PS4 extender - a dumb terminal for the PS4 - lets you play PS4 games in another room when the family have hogged the main TV :)

I think it's a great addition to the PS hardware lineup. I'll certainly be getting one when it's released.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll buy it just for the PS4 multiroom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It should make a nice Netflix extender too :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »
    It should make a nice Netflix extender too :)

You won't be able to send PS4 Netflix to a PSTV due to copyright restrictions, but there should be a dedicated Netflix app for the device.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Wanted one of these since they were first announced last year. Day one purchase for me
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    For probably €100 it's a good buy. It'll be like having a second ps4. I love remote play on the vita but there's just some games that don't play well on it. This will sort that out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To everyone thinking of getting one why not just pay that little bit extra and get a Vita?

Ever since PS/Vita TV was announced i've looked at it and thought but some of the best Vita games require the touchscreen, backpanel or camera so they won't be playable using the Dualshock 3, even playing on a second TV sounds poor when you get play anywhere (depending on internet quality) on a Vita

Its just a stripped down Vita so if you like this why not pay £50ish more get a bunch of games (most of the mega bundles have about 10 I think) and then get the full intended experience
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    To everyone thinking of getting one why not just pay that little bit extra and get a Vita?

Ever since PS/Vita TV was announced i've looked at it and thought but some of the best Vita games require the touchscreen, backpanel or camera so they won't be playable using the Dualshock 3, even playing on a second TV sounds poor when you get play anywhere (depending on internet quality) on a Vita

Its just a stripped down Vita so if you like this why not pay £50ish more get a bunch of games (most of the mega bundles have about 10 I think) and then get the full intended experience

because we want to put it on a TV,i already have a Vita
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got a Vita but don't play it that often so it'll be getting sold before or shortly after I get this. A lot of the games I play don't use the touch screen that much, it's mostly remote play I use it for & it'll be way easier using the PS TV for that.

A lot of Japanese Vita games got patched so they can be played on the Vita TV so I'd imagine the same would happen here. PS4 controller support would be good as it has the touch pad, so only the rear pad that needs addressed. It'll be better too to have remote play with proper L2/3 & R2/3 buttons
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    OMTT wrote: »
    Wanted one of these since they were first announced last year. Day one purchase for me

White ps4 for me when they are released and psTV is a must, xbone cant compete.
  • Options
    Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is essentially a Vita TV console, and remote play PS4 extender - a dumb terminal for the PS4 - lets you play PS4 games in another room when the family have hogged the main TV :)

I think it's a great addition to the PS hardware lineup. I'll certainly be getting one when it's released.
    OMTT wrote: »

Thrice concur. Excellent bit of kit this little fella and looks likely to be very competitively priced indeed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I have one already, but mine has a built in controller and OLED screen
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah,Game were taking £20 deposits for it,so it guaranteed it wouldn't have been a direct conversion from the US price
  • Options
    heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has this only just been added to Amazon, or am I way out of touch on this thread?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-TV-PS4/dp/B00KJG45AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404123954&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    heyrehair wrote: »
    Has this only just been added to Amazon, or am I way out of touch on this thread?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-TV-PS4/dp/B00KJG45AQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404123954&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4tv

Nope, you're spot on there. £85 is a disappointing price point though. Hope it's a placeholder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, you're spot on there. £85 is a disappointing price point though. Hope it's a placeholder.

it will be around that price point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    14th November release date for Europe. I'll hold off replacing my lost Vita & buy this instead for remote play in the bedroom. Finally get to finish season 2 of The Walking Dead! Will PS4 controllers work with this? I remember DS3 pads being bundle with the Japanese version
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huh. Seems like a very interesting device.
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are we sure there will be a netflix app on it? Hopefully hope there is a way of streaming US Netflix on it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    List of compatible games (more will be added through time) https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5376

Strangely, it only lists episode one of TWD season 2 but the whole first season. I hope episode 5 is compatible.