Options

BBC News Presenters and Rotas

StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
Forum Member
On this thread, you can discuss who's presenting, the schedules etc.

I cant understand why Reeta Chackrabarti did BBC News at Six tonight but Fiona Bruce is doing BBC News at Ten?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The weather is always brighter when presented by Tomasz Schafernacker ;-)

I wish he was on more often
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On this thread, you can discuss who's presenting, the schedules etc.

I cant understand why Reeta Chackrabarti did BBC News at Six tonight but Fiona Bruce is doing BBC News at Ten?:confused:

Why shouldn't she? It's up to the BBC News team to decide who presents the bulletins it makes no difference.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    The weather is always brighter when presented by Tomasz Schafernacker ;-)

I wish he was on more often

Me too!;-)
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an excuse for a thread.:o
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I think most people know George Alagiah is ill and his colleagues are covering for him.In any case the same presenter does not normally read the Six and Ten. What puzzles me is that Mishal Husain only ever reads the news on Sunday evenings:o
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Reeta Chackrabarti
    Sophie Raworth is in Glasgow so she might be covering for her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    As I think most people know George Alagiah is ill and his colleagues are covering for him.In any case the same presenter does not normally read the Six and Ten. What puzzles me is that Mishal Husain only ever reads the news on Sunday evenings:o

Why the shock face, the woman has other jobs on radio, why would she present any other bulletin.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Sophie Raworth is in Glasgow so she might be covering for her

Ditto Huw Edwards (commentating on the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games tonight)
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you equally puzzled by John Humphrys, James Naughtie, Justin Webb, Sarah Montague and Evan Davis never reading any TV news bulletins?

Because they do exactly the same "day" job as Mishal Husain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Are you equally puzzled by John Humphrys, James Naughtie, Justin Webb, Sarah Montague and Evan Davis never reading any TV news bulletins?

Because they do exactly the same "day" job as Mishal Husain.

I'm not surprised at all because they are not employed as TV newsreaders. You might as well ask why Huw Edwards, Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth don't present the Today programme.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised at all because they are not employed as TV newsreaders. You might as well ask why Huw Edwards, Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth don't present the Today programme.
    You do realise that Mishal Husain's main role at the BBC is as a presenter of Today?

She then also occasionally reads TV bulletins as a "secondary" role, in much the same way as Humphrys presents Mastermind and Davis presents Dragons' Den.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    You do realise that Mishal Husain's main role at the BBC is as a presenter of Today?

She then also occasionally reads TV bulletins as a "secondary" role, in much the same way as Humphrys presents Mastermind and Davis presents Dragons' Den.

She will also be presenting the morning TV coverage at the Commonwealth Games, 9am to midday (similar to her role at the 2012 Olympics)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder why it shocks people when a certain person presents the news, maybe Rita volunteered and enjoys it, what does it matter who presents it as long as they can read and speak clearly.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday Breakfast is presented by whoever`s passing the producer`s door 5 minutes before they go live. I swear I`ve seen a cleaners mop and bucket hurriedly wrested from the "presenter`s" hands as the intro music fades.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this really a thread??
    I mean seriously :o:o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people genuinely like watching the news and seeing who presents it, you don't have to read this thread if you don't want to.

Reeta Chackrabarti presenting the One O Clock news today. I think she might do the Six o'clock. I thought Reeta was some sort of correspondent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Sunday Breakfast is presented by whoever`s passing the producer`s door 5 minutes before they go live. I swear I`ve seen a cleaners mop and bucket hurriedly wrested from the "presenter`s" hands as the intro music fades.

Why does the female presenter on Sunday Breakfast always read the news in the Andrew Marr Show and never the male presenter ? Is it some form of BBC positive discrimination ? Why is the 8 pm 90-second update on BBC1 always read by a woman nationally although locally often by men ? Are these unsolved mysteries of the BBC ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't she? It's up to the BBC News team to decide who presents the bulletins it makes no difference.

I was a bit surprised as Fiona Bruce was on news at ten and I thought if Huw and George are away, why can't the six o clock or ten o clock presenter be the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why does the female presenter on Sunday Breakfast always read the news in the Andrew Marr Show and never the male presenter ? Is it some form of BBC positive discrimination ? Why is the 8 pm 90-second update on BBC1 always read by a woman nationally although locally often by men ? Are these unsolved mysteries of the BBC ?

I don't know but it makes sense that the BBC have the same presenter for the Andrew Marr show but I don't understand why the BBC have to hire a separate presenter for the eight o clock bulletin, surely the six or ten o'clock presenter could do both? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Ha! I know! I don't know why though, that they don't have fixed presenters for Sunday, at least we see a variety of presenters! :D
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All that and "Why do they keep Maxeen Mawhinney exiled to Saturday only?" Granted she mangles the English language like few others and ruins Dateline London when she subs for Estler but is that any justification for locking her away like in those 70s horror films where something skulked in the attic out of sight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ftv's favourite subject again: they don't "hire someone" to do the 8pm update that person works in the BBC newsroom already.

Have you not grasped this yet after all the posts you have done about it.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that and "Why do they keep Maxeen Mawhinney exiled to Saturday only?" Granted she mangles the English language like few others and ruins Dateline London when she subs for Estler but is that any justification for locking her away like in those 70s horror films where something skulked in the attic out of sight?

Perhaps she is happy doing that shift, perhaps it fits in with her other duties or even her personal life?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Perhaps she is happy doing that shift, perhaps it fits in with her other duties or even her personal life?

There's no point trying to reason with some people they think Maxine should just be put where she is told, in a modern workforce people work, where possible hours that suit them and maybe Maxine likes Saturday but people don't seem to grasp that reading the news is just a job the same as any other.

They also probably think she just comes in reads the news goes home and never sits in the newsroom and does other work.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

She's been undergoing radiotherapy, after a cancer diagnosis earlier this year.