Onions - Question!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
Forum Member
Hi!

I bought 3 huge onions and have not managed to use them, they are about to go off (about a week ish old), can I chop them all up and freeze them for future use in stews etc?!

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can freeze them but how are they about to go off? How do you store them? I don't think I've ever had an anion go off
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They shouldn't go off in a week!

You can freeze them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Oh, I keep them in the fridge, but just assumed they would go off as I had not used them! How long do you reckon I am ok to keep them then ? xx
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like to slice onions into fine rings and cook them very slowly in loads of butter and about a cup full of marsala (or white wine and some sugar) until they're dark brown and sludgy and sweet. GOD they taste good on a baked potato. And then yes, you can freeze that in portions and chuck it any recipe where you'd normally put in an onion.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I like to slice onions into fine rings and cook them very slowly in loads of butter and about a cup full of marsala (or white wine and some sugar) until they're dark brown and sludgy and sweet. GOD they taste good on a baked potato.

that sounds awesome!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosypie wrote: »
    Oh, I keep them in the fridge, but just assumed they would go off as I had not used them! How long do you reckon I am ok to keep them then ? xx

Months
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Excellent, thank you, I wont rush then I was just worried they would be wasted!

Thanks
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A few other suggestions to use them up
    You could make a vegetable stock and freeze it.
    You could make French onion soup. Lots of onions in that. There was a recipe on SFTW the other day
    You could make an onion tart or similar type recipe. There was a French one on one of Rick Stein's shows that used a lot of onions. A bit like an onion pizza.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fridge dehydrates food so its not the best place to keep any vegtables long term. Onions should be ok anywhere cool and dry - traditionally they are strung together and hung up in the larder.