Options

10cc

royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just discovered this band, My favorite track so far is Rubber Bullet. catchy pop / rock at its best, the One Direction of the 70's / 80's.

Anyone heard of them?

Comments

• Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legendary group
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Very good band with very good songs. To call them the One Direction of the Seventies is a bit of an insult. 10cc could actually write their own songs and played their own instruments. Nothing like One Direction at all.
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I should have said the feeling instead of 1d
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluespot wrote: »
    Very good band with very good songs. To call them the One Direction of the Seventies is a bit of an insult. 10cc could actually write their own songs and played their own instruments. Nothing like One Direction at all.

Bit of an insult? Personally I would say a bloody huge insult! I cut this particular line from Wikpedia. Care to guess who it is about?

"Every member was a multi-instrumentalist, singer, writer and producer".
    It is not One Direction
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just discovered this band, My favorite track so far is Rubber Bullet. catchy pop / rock at its best, the One Direction of the 70's / 80's.

Anyone heard of them?

You haven't discovered 'I'm not in love' yet?

And absolutely nothing like 1D!
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D! That's harsh. I'm Mandy Fly Me has always been a fave, out of many.
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'm Not In Love" is gorge and "Dreadlock Holiday", will check their discography soon.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek::eek::eek:
    How can you describe one of the best bands of the 70s and 80s as the 1D of their time???

Just take a read of their biography and see how many other bands came out of 10cc. Many talented musicians
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More like 4D. Many more dimensions to 10CC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Anyone here know how they got their name?
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i didnt like them... 'im not in love' and 'life is a minestrone' were good enough, but i didnt like anything else including 'rubber bulletS'

strange though, i liked hotlegs - 'neaderthal man' (pre 10cc group)

and graham gouldman composed some of the 1960's greatest ever pop songs...
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »
    Anyone here know how they got their name?

The myth is that it's equal to the amount of seman produced by a male. Though the actual story is that Jonathon King who ran the bands' first label (UK) named the band. He apparantly had a dream one night that he saw that name on a billboard as in "playing tonight...."

Anyway, fabulous band, their first four (original lin-up) albums are masterpieces of quirky, well written and produced pop/rock. Their witty and cartoonish lyrics were like little cinematic pieces. They had that Lennon/McCartney like way of writing where Godley & Creme would provide the avante garde arty side and Gouldman and Stewart the more structured melodic side...a perfect combination.

For a starting point OP, I'd suggest their 2nd album 'Sheet Music'. A perfect album
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The myth is that it's equal to the amount of seman produced by a male.

Something similar is allegedly also the origin of the band name of sixties legends the Lovin' Spoonful.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Amazing band full of incredibly talented singer/songwriters/multi instrumentalists/video-makers. To even think about comparing them to 1D is bad enough but to actually put that thought in writing on a public forum. Crazeeee....

If you haven't already, please listen to the amazing album track (from the afore-mentioned Sheet Music) Somewhere in Hollywood. stunning (and the superb, angelic lead vocal is sung by Kevin Godley, the big, hairy drummer :D)
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone heard of them?

10cc were certainly not the 1D of the 70s. You want the Bay City Rollers for that.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were incredibly popular at the time of Sheet Music, but then seemed to regard each album as a coathanger for their own cleverness and became merely irritating.
    I bought that album, but I absolutely loathed the later Dreadlock Holiday, thinking it was crass and patronising. Then punk arrived and they became the enemy.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    They were incredibly popular at the time of Sheet Music, but then seemed to regard each album as a coathanger for their own cleverness and became merely irritating.
    I bought that album, but I absolutely loathed the later Dreadlock Holiday, thinking it was crass and patronising. Then punk arrived and they became the enemy.

I have to disagree that 10cc tried to be 'clever'. 'Rubber Bullets', 'The Dean And I' and 'Art For Art's Sake' are sophisticated, intelligent pop that pushed the boundaries of what a single should be as much as the Beatles or the Beach Boys did. Although overexposed, 'I'm Not In Love' is hugely influential - not least on Trevor Horn, who publicly cited it as the record he wanted to replicate in his own productions.

10cc didn't become the enemy because of punk - the group became its own enemy, with four strong egos. When Creme and Godley left, many of the more interesting aspects of their music seemed to fade away, and the group lost their character. I would agree that 'Dreadlock Holiday' was a low point - it may have reached number one, but it was like a bad novelty record and marked an abrupt end to their chart fortunes in the UK. Chances of things improving faded when acrimony broke out between Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman and, despite promises of reunions, it's never quite happened.

OP, I'm glad you've discovered their music - but, as everyone has been quick to point out, they are so far away from One Direction it's not true! ;)

If you want the 70s equivalent of 1D, try the Bay City Rollers, as previously suggested, or the Osmonds.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best, if not THE best band of the 70's.

Please don't compare them to 1D or any other boy band of any era
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluespot wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:
    How can you describe one of the best bands of the 70s and 80s as the 1D of their time???
    callmediva wrote: »

One of the best, if not THE best band of the 70's.

Please don't compare them to 1D or any other boy band of any era

It's a bit like saying that Dusty Springfield was the Cheryl Cole of the sixties.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like saying that Dusty Springfield was the Cheryl Cole of the sixties.
    Or "Wings, the band The Beatles could have been..."

I love 10CC, but I think they tend to be overlooked and mostly thought of as a singles band because they never really had that one classic album to lift them into The Canon... that said, the OP should try any of the many Greatest Hits albums and go from there.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a wiki list of gouldmans 60's compositions

"From 1965, while working by day in a men's outfitters shop and playing by night with his semi-professional band, he wrote a string of million-selling hit songs: as well as "For Your Love" he penned "Heart Full of Soul" and "Evil Hearted You" for The Yardbirds, "Bus Stop" and "Look Through Any Window" for The Hollies, "No Milk Today" and "Listen People" for Herman's Hermits, "Pamela, Pamela" for Wayne Fontana, "Behind the Door" for The St. Louis Union and Cher, "Tallyman" for Jeff Beck and "Going Home", which was a 1967 Australian hit for Normie Rowe."

i like most of those, esp the yardbirds tracks.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of them?
    No. Rubber Bullets was probably one of the weakest tracks they ever did. They were far smarter than just writing gimmicky Beach Boy parody stuff Try Wall Street Shuffle, I'm Mandy, Fly Me, Iceberg, I'm Not In Love and that's just for starters One Direction comparison? :D That's silly. Not even in the same ball park Anyhow, it can only be a good thing to have stumbled upon 10cc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Love 10CC. That is all. :cool:
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    "I'm Not In Love" is gorge and "Dreadlock Holiday"...
    Yup.

Along with Queen, they are one of my all-time favourite bands...as well as both being supremely talented. 1D, my @rse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Everyone be fair on the OP, please. If the OP is young, and 1D are the biggest band they have seen, it's not unreasonable to compare the catchiness of the songs. It's good that anyone young gets into a band from the past, it will keep the music alive forever.

They were before my time too (I'm 35) but I love em. 'Flying Junk' and 'Blackmail' are storming album tracks, top known singles are 'Im Not In Love' and 'Im Mandy Fly Me'.

Check out Godley and Creme too, OP. :)