Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, Series Three-starts Sat 1st March

Comments

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Apparently not. Lee Mack is far far funnier than Lee but he doesn't cover such "intellectual subjects" as urinal cake.

Well I shall continue to find both funny. So I win. :kitty:
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you competing with Sol Campbell for number of chips on your shoulder? Very sad person!

Jefferson's well-balanced. Equal number of chips on each shoulder.:p
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week I learned that animals are satirical but sausages aren't.

And if I ever see him live I'll make sure I have a pee before the show starts.

And as for the people who keep coming on here to slag him off...jeez...it's like going to a party to which you haven't been invited and repeatedly shouting through the letter box that the party's rubbish and you didn't want to come anyway. Just...go home and watch Michael Macintyre instead.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    The complex world of Stewart Lee fans, eh.
    There's nothing "intellectual" about Lee's repetitive burblings. If not for the BBC he'd be struggling to make a decent living.

While Lee Mack is actually a very funny man. Far funnier than the smug ex-privately educated Lee will ever be.

I enjoyed non-privately educated Jefferson's early work but I find his latest trolling to be derivative and purile. The guys lost it, he should resort to trying stand up because the true medium of proper creative artists, slagging off things on the internet, is over for him
    He's blatantly not as good as other, more mainstream trolls in the soap or doctor who forums, think he's showing his age now. Time to pack it up, maybe put out a blog of some of your classic early work trolling about how Churchill was overrated in WW2 or how George Formby was a talentless, tuneless goit and leave the best trolling to the mainstream boys.
    Supratad wrote: »
    I'd really like to see Bridgit Christies full shows, but I feel I would be doing a disservice to her, as I would be watching them because she is Stewart Lee's wife.
    So it is better if I don't watch them, but then I realise the reason I'm not watching them is because she is Stewart Lee's wife.

Maybe I hope they get divorced, so I can watch some more comedy.

Wait, is this why Herring is doing so well since he and Lee split up?
    OK he doesn't have his own show on rubbish, outdated television, he prefers to force new paths through the new medium of the internet, which he kindly allows Stew to appear on occasionally if he needs a leg up.

Aside: they've never split up, they're still bumming each other. They're MAH favourite duo. High Backed Armchair....cumpkin. erm. What else have I forgot....?
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw Lee Mack live @ Edinburgh Pleasance Courtyard in 1998 before he was famous; there were 7 people in the audience if I recall correctly. I think I liked it. I've not seen any of his stand up since though and fear it maybe too mainstream for me, as I am a pseudo-intellectual Stewart Lee fan now. :o:p
    Wait, is this why Herring is doing so well since he and Lee split up?
    OK he doesn't have his own show on rubbish, outdated television, he prefers to force new paths through the new medium of the internet, which he kindly allows Stew to appear on occasionally if he needs a leg up.

Ironically Lee has said Herring is richer than he is, as Herring was paid a fortune to write the Sky Al Murray sitcom, Time Gentlemen Please. Who knows if that's true, mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Mack was good in The Sketch Show, 2001. Anyone else remember that, also featuring Tim Vine and Ronni Ancona?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    I saw Lee Mack live @ Edinburgh Pleasance Courtyard in 1998 before he was famous; there were 7 people in the audience if I recall correctly. I think I liked it. I've not seen any of his stand up since though and fear it maybe too mainstream for me, as I am a pseudo-intellectual Stewart Lee fan now. :o:p

Ironically Lee has said Herring is richer than he is, as Herring was paid a fortune to write the Sky Al Murray sitcom, Time Gentlemen Please. Who knows if that's true, mind.

Don't think it is, but have heard rumours that Herring is bitter and twisted that Stewart is on BBC2 and Stewart is bitter and twisted that Richard's more underground and releasing stuff out of the mainstream media.

Both Richard and Stewart are bitter and twisted that Lee Mack is richer than both of them combined, as however much they might protest, it's all about the money.

Or the above is complete cobblers. :p

Is Lee Mack v Stewart Lee the new Beatles v Stones or something?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Lee Mack v Stewart Lee the new Beatles v Stones or something?!

Would assume S Lee thinks McIntyre bashing is cliched now, so needs a new target. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Would assume S Lee thinks McIntyre bashing is cliched now, so needs a new target. ;-)

Is McIntyre Freddie and the Dreamers then? :)

Think he's okay actually. Wouldn't call myself a fan, but he's made me chuckle in the past.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is McIntyre Freddie and the Dreamers then? :)

Think he's okay actually. Wouldn't call myself a fan, but he's made me chuckle in the past.

McIntyre is VERY popular with women. They like him because he's funny.

Few like Lee though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McIntyre is VERY popular with women. They like him because he's funny.

Few like Lee though.

I want a breakdown of your statistical data to back that up, please. Has there been a comprehensive survey of such demographics? ;-)

(anecdotal evidence is NOT acceptable.)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The little asides about Brand v Paxo, allusion to Gervais' 'Derek'...there was a heck of a lot in this 30 minutes.
    I wondered for a moment if it was a dig at Charlie Brooker.

I thought this episode was a vast improvemnt on the first two.

Good to see Morris making himself corpse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stew must be going soft in his old age - one Harry Hill-style joke and then one Tim Vine
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewert Lee is too clever for me
  • DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    It's just funny as it is.

exactly

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another strong episode, I thought. When I heard the episode was called 'Context' and read in a preview that Jimmy Carr was mentioned, had an idea where that part was going, but the shrug bit was very funny. Bit hypocritical of him to refer to himself as a genius and then mock the fact that Americans would call Ricky Gervais one tho....oh, see what he did there!

Nice call back to the Crisps episode when he said "Red Leicester" then paused....but then got on with things.

"I call her my white wife." :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another strong episode, I thought. When I heard the episode was called 'Context' and read in a preview that Jimmy Carr was mentioned, had an idea where that part was going, but the shrug bit was very funny. Bit hypocritical of him to refer to himself as a genius and then mock the fact that Americans would call Ricky Gervais one tho....oh, see what he did there!

Nice call back to the Crisps episode when he said "Red Leicester" then paused....but then got on with things.

"I call her my white wife." :)
    ...and what's also funny is that his real life wife isn't even Irish - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Christie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant stuff. I thought that one was the best episode of the series so far. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    ...and what's also funny is that his real life wife isn't even Irish - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Christie

She is Catholic, though. Perhaps that gave him the idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Dalston is nothing like Leith (the bit behind the rock).

Actually disappointed he called us Scots not Scotch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »

Yeah, knew that, but have heard rumours that she really IS useless after six o'clock, if you get my drif.....nah. ;-)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewert Lee is too clever for me

What makes you say that? Just because he can't write "jokes" and repeats and repeats and repeats himself hypnotically and bullys the audience into laughing doesn't mean he's too clever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes you say that? Just because he can't write "jokes" and repeats and repeats and repeats himself hypnotically and bullys the audience into laughing doesn't mean he's too clever.

Well, in fairness to him, I assume you watched the episode, he came up with a one-liner and actually said "You see, I can write jokes. I just don't want to." It's his choice!

Must admit, btw, thought this thread would be full of outraged Jimmy Carr fans. Guess they didn't see it?

(shrugs. Pulls a face.)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've not noticed Carr doing a shrug after a risque joke. More of a laugh and a head wobble.

I'm still not sure why Lee is having sly digs at other comedians and there style/content?
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's not the only one who's becoming repetitive. Can guarantee Jefferson will be here after every episode with the same old same old