Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Tell him they never quite got around to fitting Ejector seats in civil aircraft! :D

He thinks the plane flew really low so they could open the door & either jump or parachute out.

He thinks that either there was something really valuable that the plane was carrying or a person the plane was carrying that someone wanted....I'm guessing not the mangosteens then. Although these were sooperdooper fruiting 2+ months early mangosteens, so who knows :D
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    He thinks the plane flew really low so they could open the door & either jump or parachute out.

He thinks that either there was something really valuable that the plane was carrying or a person the plane was carrying that someone wanted....I'm guessing not the mangosteens then. Although these were sooperdooper fruiting 2+ months early mangosteens, so who knows :D

I can picture it now ...

Samuel L. Jackson in ... "Mangosteens On A Plane!"

... or pehaps Roger Moore could reprise his role in "The Man With The Golden Mangosteen" or "For Your Mangosteens Only"
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only person to have tried this was DB Cooper in 1971 who forced his hijacked plane to land and swapped passengers for $200K and 4 parachutes, on the next leg of the flight he left via the rear doors, nothing ( as far as I'm aware) has been found of him since.
    Was over land though.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's been watching too many James Bond movies! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can picture it now ...

Samuel L. Jackson in ... "Mangosteens On A Plane!"

... or pehaps Roger Moore could reprise his role in "The Man With The Golden Mangosteen" or "For Your Mangosteens Only"
    boksbox wrote: »
    The only person to have tried this was DB Cooper in 1971 who forced his hijacked plane to land and swapped passengers for $200K and 4 parachutes, on the next leg of the flight he left via the rear doors, nothing ( as far as I'm aware) has been found of him since.
    Was over land though.
    He's been watching too many James Bond movies! :D

:D

I thought that too, or that he might believe that 24 was real!

I did tell him I thought his theory was 'highly unlikely'
    Forum Member
    I did tell him I thought his theory was 'highly unlikely'

What I want to know is why the Malaysian authorities aren't talking about this? They must be covering something up! :o:D
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okeanos/welcome.html
    This jumping on the back of the interest in deep oceans at the moment- a ocean explorer in the gulf of mexico.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want to know is why the Malaysian authorities aren't talking about this? They must be covering something up! :o:D

Technically, is it even possible?

I'd guess that in order to survive hitting the water instead of being killed on impact a person would have to be wearing a parachute. I said that I thought that if the door was opened on a plane so someone could jump out then it would have had to have been flying at a lot less than the 4000-5000ft that has been bandied about.

He reckoned a parachute would have taken the person down easily & they had a boat waiting for them. He's thinking the copilot since he 'made a call' after the last ATC contact.

On a more serious note I saw that Bluefin was pulled up early again today & nothing was gleaned from the data :(
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member

On a more serious note I saw that Bluefin was pulled up early again today & nothing was gleaned from the data :(

They chucked it in again afterwards, NG. And as they have dozens of search blocks to search, having no results in the first few days is OK, it could be weeks before they find anything (if anything's there).

It's possible of course that Echo will spot something unusual down there, something they can aim Bluefin-21 towards, she's zapping around the entire search area like a spider building a web!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okeanos/welcome.html
    This jumping on the back of the interest in deep oceans at the moment- a ocean explorer in the gulf of mexico.

That is pretty cool! Thank you :D
    d'@ve wrote: »
    They chucked it in again afterwards, NG. And as they have dozens of search blocks to search, having no results in the first few days is OK, it could be weeks before they find anything (if anything's there).

It's possible of course that Echo will spot something unusual down there, something they can aim Bluefin-21 towards, she's zapping around the entire search area like a spider building a web!

I see that our little Echo has spent most of her day outside the search area which is interesting.

Thanks for the info re Bluefin, it's not time to worry yet then? Surely there's got to be something there though. The area was where the pings were heard so there must be something there. I just hope it's not beyond Bluefins reach depthwise
    Forum Member
    I see that our little Echo has spent most of her day outside the search area which is interesting.

Thanks for the info re Bluefin, it's not time to worry yet then? Surely there's got to be something there though. The area was where the pings were heard so there must be something there. I just hope it's not beyond Bluefins reach depthwise

I think they squared the diamond search area off a few days ago, and expanded it a bit to 600 sq km e.g. 30Km wide (today's Echo) x 20Km north. Marine Traffic hasn't updated the shape though, perhaps because it's still centred on the same place.

I would hope that they spot *something* by the time they are halfway through but that could be in more than a couple of weeks' time. We have the results of the oil sample analysis to await, too. And the sonobuoys, and the parachutist... :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I think they squared the diamond search area off a few days ago, and expanded it a bit to 600 sq km e.g. 30Km wide (today's Echo) x 20Km north. Marine Traffic hasn't updated the shape though, perhaps because it's still centred on the same place.

I would hope that they spot *something* by the time they are halfway through but that could be in more than a couple of week's time. We have the results of the oil sample analysis to await, too.

Do we know how far away from the 'ping area' the oil was found?

Thanks for the info re the redefined search area. Somehow I manage to miss the bits where they give & detail the search areas.

I do miss the PC's given by Mr Hussein & the later ones given by the Aussies. It's hard to accept that this is no longer front page news :(

Edited to add that yes, we mustn't forget my reps parachutist :D

He'll be there eating the mangosteens ;-)
    Forum Member
    I think it was 5.5km down-stream and downwind of where the pings were detected ... but I'm not sure how far apart the pings were.
    Forum Member

It was "approximately 5,500 metres down-wind and down-sea from the vicinity of the detections picked up by the towed pinger locator on Ocean Shield.”

So, worth investigating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Technically, is it even possible?

I'd guess that in order to survive hitting the water instead of being killed on impact a person would have to be wearing a parachute. I said that I thought that if the door was opened on a plane so someone could jump out then it would have had to have been flying at a lot less than the 4000-5000ft that has been bandied about.

He reckoned a parachute would have taken the person down easily & they had a boat waiting for them. He's thinking the copilot since he 'made a call' after the last ATC contact.

Googling around, most skydivers jump at around 10 -14,000ft (higher needs oxygen). The aircraft they jump from slows to around 70 - 100mph so a 777 would drop out of the sky at that speed! Another reason Skydiver aircraft slow as much as possible is to avoid the possibility of the skydiver hitting the tailplane when exiting.

So your workmates theory pretty much has the '777 jumper' hitting the tailplane and shredded into spaghetti! He wouldn't need to worry about the impact on hitting the water.....he wouldn't get that far.

Not a good idea! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Googling around, most skydivers jump at around 10 -14,000ft (higher needs oxygen). The aircraft they jump from slows to around 70 - 100mph so a 777 would drop out of the sky at that speed! Another reason Skydiver aircraft slow as much as possible is to avoid the possibility of the skydiver hitting the tailplane when exiting.

So your workmates theory pretty much has the '777 jumper' hitting the tailplane and shredded into spaghetti! He wouldn't need to worry about the impact on hitting the water.....he wouldn't get that far.

Not a good idea! :D

Ha, thankfully he's not my colleague, just a rep trying to sell me something at work.

I'll take great pleasure in telling him this information next time he stops by :D

Thanks everyone for the oil slick information
    Forum Member
    Ha, thankfully he's not my colleague, just a rep trying to sell me something at work.

I'll take great pleasure in telling him this information next time he stops by :D

You could also remind him that it was the middle of the night, although I get the feeling he's the sort who'll have an answer for everything!

"Well, he practiced jumping out of a simulator ... and he had a torch!" :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could also remind him that it was the middle of the night, although I get the feeling he's the sort who'll have an answer for everything!

"Well, he practiced jumping out of a simulator ... and he had a torch!" :D

He thinks that the parachutist/jumper will be seen again on the news, with his actions used as propaganda to further some cause or another...there's just no hope for some people hey?

He also believes 9/11 was perpetrated by the Israelis & that Diana was murdered by the British government on the orders of Prince Philip :D I really needn't say any more about him, need I?!
    Forum Member
    He thinks that the parachutist/jumper will be seen again on the news, with his actions used as propaganda to further some cause or another...there's just no hope for some people hey?

He also believes 9/11 was perpetrated by the Israelis & that Diana was murdered by the British government on the orders of Prince Philip :D I really needn't say any more about him, need I?!

I'm beginning to get the picture ... and I guarantee he'll have an answer for everything!

You said he was a rep. Does he sell tin-foil hats for a living? :D
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just have to share this with you guys.

I was talking to a rep today & he has a 'wonderful' theory, of which he is totally convinced.....

We have a woman at work who said the plane must have kept climbing and gone into space, which is why it can't be found
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a woman at work who said the plane must have kept climbing and gone into space, which is why it can't be found

Bless these special people :D

(Perhaps they should ask the ISS if they've seen it just in case:D)
  • John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bless these special people :D

(Perhaps they should ask the ISS if they've seen it just in case:D)

They could have landed next to the Lancaster Bomber on the Moon
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/62440303@N04/5683785190/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hhmmm......Salesman eh? That explains it. He's trying to 'sell' you a load of crap! :D
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've checked this thread today, some very funny posts :) but I see they still havn't found anything .
    Forum Member
    curmy wrote: »
    First time I've checked this thread today, some very funny posts :) but I see they still havn't found anything .

You can tell it's quiet if some of us are following tug-boats in real time, or discussing conspiracy theorists! :D
This discussion has been closed.