Options

Neighbours: The One Soap No-One Should Be Missing... (P2)

Comments

• Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I can't defend Sonya today. I know she was thrown by Talia's comments about Toadie confiding in her, but to irrationally fire someone like that, when you have no facts and you don't even employ the woman, is going too far.

I feel kinda sorry for Terese. She's having to deal with her issues a lot faster than she would like, b/c the situation is out of her control. I find Brad quite insensitive in some ways.

LOL @ Josie crushing on Josh. When it comes to personality, she has bad taste in men.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I like that Kyle and Georgia are back on the right track, but surely there was a better way of getting there? Kate's line about wanting the two people who's engagement she helped ruin to be 'as happy as we are' was just silly.

Tomorrow's preview with Josh having to hang around with Callum and Bailey looks funny.

Nice of Toadie's assistant to take the time to go and get her saucy photo developed :D

I agree:D
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jamesalex wrote: »
    I don't think it helps that Harley Bonner looks at least his age (I think he's 23?) so any talk of school at all seems ridiculous to me given the fact that he is obviously a young man not a boy. I really struggle with believing he's meant to be only 17 ish.

Showing my age here but years and years ago when Annalise first joined there was a ludicrous storyline where she turned out to be only 17 so had to go to school and wear a uniform. Kimberley Davis must have been at least mid 20's at the time. Now that was soooo wrong! She looked even more like a grown woman pretending to be a school girl than Amber does now.

That was done after the producers saw how Kimberley Davies looked in a short school dress. Titillation not realism there.

Actor Julie Mullins who played Julie Robinson in the early 1990s says they did a storyline where Julie tries to spice up the sex life in her marriage by wearing a naughty schoolgirl costume. That scene, she says, caused the entire episode to be banned in the UK! http://perfectblend.net/features/interview-mullins.htm
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dani in her grey vest. Helloooooo!

I hope she comes back soon.

Toadie wasn't having an affair with his old assistant (sadly for him) but Sheila's daughter may be another story.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused how Sonya was even able to fire Talia? I'm really liking Naomi and look forward to seeing how her and Toadie get on, like he said ultimately she's just a younger version of Sheila

I love Bailey saying things like 'can't you knock/ don't sneak up on me' and then it turning out he's only looking at a lost siblings website :D
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the actress playing Amber is no longer a teenager, and remember Sky? She was a lot older than the part she played. SO this is quite common but I agree it stretches belief!

Im sure I read somewhere that the actress Jenna Roscow who plays Amber is 23, and is dating Chris Milligan who plays Kyle.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Naomi: Izzy. Toadie: Karl

It's funny how neighbours is just the same 6 stories rotated around every 5 years or so.

You can even see the archetypes of the characters they repeat too.

Bailey is another Zeke.

Mason was the new Dylan (Well, you can tell that's what the writers wanted anyway)

Kate is definitely written with the sympathy as if she's Libby but the viewers do NOT want to see her with the same rose tinted glasses they did with Ms Kennedy.

And it goes on like this....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, Neighbours has some pacing issues.

In the space of one episode, Lauren and Brad learn they may have tracked down their long-lost daughter; they think about contacting her; do contact her; ship her on a plane, complete with meet and greets and suspicious behaviour; have one confrontational scene, before requesting a DNA test, and learning via Georgia's blood type comparison that she is not their long-lost daughter; said girl is shipped back to where she came from never to be heard from again.

I'm all for not dragging things out, but this was super breakneck speed! No time to digest anything. No time to champion Terese for having a brain, and to despair as Lauren and Brad chastise her for being out of line and unsupportive. No time to care, really.

Up to recently, I thought the pacing had improved a lot. But, the moment they shipped Kathy off after she'd just gotten started, was the moment the pacing lost it's way. Imagine Kathy still hanging around, antagonising everyone at every turn - her existence could have given this story more edge and developed her relationship with her family. Now, they've condensed important plot developments into the space of one episode, while Kyle and Georgia continue on the world's slowest reconciliation and, Josh & Amber repeat their many relationship woes.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,072
    Forum Member
    So is that it for Lauren and Brad in their search for their long lost daughter?
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's episode was just weird and rushed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Naomi: Izzy. Toadie: Karl

It's funny how neighbours is just the same 6 stories rotated around every 5 years or so.

You can even see the archetypes of the characters they repeat too.

Bailey is another Zeke.

Mason was the new Dylan (Well, you can tell that's what the writers wanted anyway)

Kate is definitely written with the sympathy as if she's Libby but the viewers do NOT want to see her with the same rose tinted glasses they did with Ms Kennedy.

And it goes on like this....

I agree about all this but whilst Naomi is similar in character to Izzy, the storyline so far is much more like Karl/Sarah. Sarah started working for Karl as his receptionist/assistant, they were alone a lot, they chatted, became good friends, they started sharing their personal problems, Karl had problems with Susan and confined in Sarah... And eventually Sarah made a pass at him that he went along with, then Karl was guilt stricken etc etc. It is a re hash of Karl/ Sarah so far so I'm hoping it will go in a different direction eventually otherwise it'll be too similar and look like recycled storylines.

I think Shelia should work for Toadie - she'd sort him out! Naomi IMO would be great working at Charlie's, she could encounter all the regulars and Paul there.
  • Options
    hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Totally agree! How weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Did they mess up the blood groups?

I thought A+ ahd A- parents could have an O+ offspring.
  • Options
    ChzzaChzza Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hpr wrote: »
    Did they mess up the blood groups?

I thought A+ ahd A- parents could have an O+ offspring.

You're right they can if both parents have O as one of their genotypes. Each parent could pass on the O to the baby making the baby O+
  • Options
    Busy_LizzieBusy_Lizzie Posts: 117
    Forum Member

Agree- I thought the story would develop with Lisa being found out as being the fraud she obviously was (eg her reaction to hearing that Lauren's husband was a cop). But why then did she volunteer herself for a DNA/blood test at the hospital when no one else was mentioning it at that point. It was strange and disappointing to have the Lisa/Lily story end so abruptly.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,072
    Forum Member
    Look forward to seeing Karl's new look (more hair)
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    OK, Neighbours has some pacing issues.

In the space of one episode, Lauren and Brad learn they may have tracked down their long-lost daughter; they think about contacting her; do contact her; ship her on a plane, complete with meet and greets and suspicious behaviour; have one confrontational scene, before requesting a DNA test, and learning via Georgia's blood type comparison that she is not their long-lost daughter; said girl is shipped back to where she came from never to be heard from again.

I'm all for not dragging things out, but this was super breakneck speed! No time to digest anything. No time to champion Terese for having a brain, and to despair as Lauren and Brad chastise her for being out of line and unsupportive. No time to care, really.

Up to recently, I thought the pacing had improved a lot. But, the moment they shipped Kathy off after she'd just gotten started, was the moment the pacing lost it's way. Imagine Kathy still hanging around, antagonising everyone at every turn - her existence could have given this story more edge and developed her relationship with her family. Now, they've condensed important plot developments into the space of one episode, while Kyle and Georgia continue on the world's slowest reconciliation and, Josh & Amber repeat their many relationship woes.

Just watched yesterday's ep and completely agree. The pacing of Neighbours has always been exceedingly dodgy, but this episode was laughably bad. For all of 15 minutes, Lauren and Brad thought they'd found their daughter. But it wasn't their daughter. Oh. Right. That was fun...

To be frank, I dislike the Willises and the Turners, so this episode was never going to be to my taste, but this was horrendous from start to finish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Look forward to seeing Karl's new look (more hair)

Karl's new hair - ridiculous!!!!!!

He is always so funny lol (cue Susan and her thinking he's having a mid-life crisis).

Karl acting like Paul hasn't noticed - how could anyone not notice it??!

Cue the Karl and Susan comedy routine.

Kate Ramsay is now on the 5th "love of her life"...for all of another 5 minutes...uh-oh!!?
  • Options
    Hilary22catHilary22cat Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chzza wrote: »
    You're right they can if both parents have O as one of their genotypes. Each parent could pass on the O to the baby making the baby O+

Yes, you would have thought that with so much hanging on it, they might have asked for a second opinion and not taken as gospel the opinion of a nurse! Or at least asked for a DNA test to back it up.

(Especially as I'm speaking as someone who was challenged by their GP for the 'true identity' of the father of two of my children.....as it is apparently 'impossible' for two rhesus pos parents to have rhesus neg offspring! Think she must have missed that week at med school.)

Do you think Lisa will return when someone has the idea of investigating further? Perhaps Bailey will do some more internet digging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Isn't it quite rare for two A type parents to produce an O type child?

O is a recessive gene, and A is a dominant gene, so Brad is A+ and Lauren A-, meaning that Lisa being type O would imply that she's more likely not to be their daughter.

Even doctors don't always get this stuff right, so I think Neighbours should get a free pass for not completely stuffing up the science, considering their research may have been "faulty".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Kate and Mark's storyline could be wrapped up at the break neck speed of yesterday's episode

Speaking if which, it's bizarre if that's the last time Lauren and brad's child is mentioned. I agree with everyone in that I can't believe how much happened in such a short space of time

Karl's hair is hailrious, Karl and Susan are brilliant! I was also thinking 'blue box' when Susan was looking at karl
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member

Probability both parents are AO (not AA) is 1/4
    Probability both pass on O is 1/4

so 1/16 chance, (6.25%).

There are 20 million Australians and blood type A is very common (0.4) so there are maybe 200,000 of these rare O-type children. which is still a lot.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More of Karl's legendary penny-pinching for his new look. Good episode, apart from drippy Kate.
  • Options
    incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

O is a recessive gene, and A is a dominant gene, so Brad is A+ and Lauren A-, meaning that Lisa being type O would imply that she's more likely not to be their daughter.

Even doctors don't always get this stuff right, so I think Neighbours should get a free pass for not completely stuffing up the science, considering their research may have been "faulty".

It takes seconds to stick 'blood group inheritance' into google and get a list of possible combinations. All they needed to do was pick a combination that definitely can't work.

I agree that the pacing was farcial. And now Lauren's all 'I can never go through that again'. Perhaps if she'd taken it at a normal pace, got a DNA test via doctors before meeting and introducing a random stranger to all her children and calling her their sister, she could go through it all again.

Another one looking forward to 'drippy Kate' being killed off here.
  • Options
    tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Fletcher is a star!

Not many would put up with their character so often being the figure of fun and butt of the jokes, but he does and puts his all into it and it shows.
    Alan and Jackie are so brilliant as Susan and Karl when in comedy mode.

Looking forward to the return of Doug this week. Great blast from the past!
This discussion has been closed.