Options

"ex-pats"

nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hate that term. I see it all the time in letters to the editor.

When do people assume their new nationality? You chose to leave the UK to build a new life in Canada, the US or wherever, but sign off as "expat now living in "xyz".

Just p*sses me off. Call your self whatever but to me an expat is a slightly seedy, older man in a white suit drinking Singapore Slings and moaning about how decent help is hard to find.

(don't mean to be sexist but that's just the picture the phrase conjures up or even worse the Memsahib in a white dress whining about the heat in the last days of the raj)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're the worst type of "patriot" always harping on about how the country they originally came from is soooo great, well if its thats great shag off back then...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally find the people who move abroad and call themselves ex-pats also never bother to learn the language (if applicable), stick to communities with other Brits and are the people who moaned about foreigners doing the above in England!
  • Options
    pamuelapamuela Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot on, Callum, Scofield and nitenurse,

I have 2 very close relatives living in Australia and Tennerife.

The one in Australia emails me every few days complaining about how sh*t the country is, but would never want to come back to the UK.

The one in Tennerife sells timeshares and cannot string a Spanish sentence together.

Both are still UK citizens with voting rights in UK elections.

Personally, I would advocate the removal of all rights to British passports, voting rights, pensions etc......... :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing both ends of the spectrum. Suddenly Englishmen (and it never seems to be the Welsh, Irish or Scots) who have been here in Canada 25+ years are calling themselves "ex-pats" or it's the freshly arrived.

If you don't like it here, go back to the mothership.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Urgh. They are of course English/British immigrants. Nothing else.

When there are news items affecting these groups they ought to be labelled as such e.g. "The British immigrants in Spain are facing difficult times as the recession takes hold". etc
    'Ex-pats', for me, has colonial overtones, as if these people have somehow just moved away to enjoy an alternative corner of the 'empire'.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    nitenurse wrote:
    You chose to leave the UK to build a new life in Canada, the US or wherever, but sign off as "expat now living in "xyz".

Just p*sses me off. Call your self whatever but to me an expat is a slightly seedy, older man in a white suit drinking Singapore Slings and moaning about how decent help is hard to find.

(don't mean to be sexist but that's just the picture the phrase conjures up or even worse the Memsahib in a white dress whining about the heat in the last days of the raj)
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

Do you seriously think that the term applies exclusively to British nationals residing overseas?

"Expatriot" is a term of Latin derivation, which describes any individual residing in a country other than that in which they were brought up/hold legal citizenship.

To seek to apply it exclusively to British subjects living overseas is ill-educated, blinkered claptrap ...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scofield wrote: »
    They're the worst type of "patriot" always harping on about how the country they originally came from is soooo great, well if its thats great shag off back then...

I couldn't agree more!! I think it comes down to that kind of human bragging where such people want us to have what they've got, so they talk up their country as a utopia and completely ignore the negative points. But actually, it makes they come across as an arsehole, like a guy at a party who'se quick to mention the speeding tickets/parking fines he got out of last week.

Or.... people only realise what they've got when it's gone, and so they become decieved it's much better.
  • Options
    Temp1Temp1 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

When there are news items affecting these groups they ought to be labelled as such e.g. "The British immigrants in Spain are facing difficult times as the recession takes hold". etc
    'Ex-pats', for me, has colonial overtones, as if these people have somehow just moved away to enjoy an alternative corner of the 'empire'.
    They wouldn't be immigrants in the news in this country, would they? They'd be emmigrants. Ex-pats is another word for emmigrants.

Many ex-pats like to remember the way this country was in the past, before things like mass immigration, multiculturalism and the Human Rights Act. Is it looking at the way things were through rose-tinted glasses? Yes, to a certaint extent. But this country has lost something over the last 12 years or so, and I don't think we will ever get it back, and it saddens me. And I am sure it saddens many people who have moved abroad, they remember the country they grew up in and miss it, but realise that the Britain of 2009 is not that country anymore.
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have lived in Gran Canaria for the last 4 years, and usually describe myself as a foreigner, or extranjero.

My Spanish is passable, and I love my "new" home.

I usually use the expat term to describe people who have been here longer than me, but still think the best way to communicate with the locals is by SHOUTING.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wouldn't be immigrants in the news in this country, would they? They'd be emmigrants. Ex-pats is another word for emmigrants.
    no reason why the media here can't write e.g. "British immigrants in Spain...", but invariably they write "British expats in Spain..."

why? it's all in the connotations...

expat (positive) <---> immigrant (negative).

also immigrants are expected to integrate; but expats must not 'go native'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    Do you seriously think that the term applies exclusively to British nationals residing overseas?

"Expatriot" is a term of Latin derivation, which describes any individual residing in a country other than that in which they were brought up/hold legal citizenship.

To seek to apply it exclusively to British subjects living overseas is ill-educated, blinkered claptrap ...

Sorry darling, I've earned a BA and a BScN, hardly ill-educated and blinkered.

I work with many Europeans and the odd American. I've only ever heard the English describe themselves as "ex-pats".

Your media certainly loves the phrase as well.
  • Options
    Temp1Temp1 Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkpaw wrote: »
    the media here can write e.g. "British immigrants in Spain...", but invariably they write "British expats in Spain..."

why? it's all in the connotations...

expat (positive) <---> immigrant (negative).

also immigrants are expected to integrate; but expats must not 'go native'.
    Talking about British people that have gone abroad to live as immigrants is a backwards way of looking at things. In Spain, they are immigrants. in Britain, they are emmigrants, or ex-pats.

Who says that expats must not 'go native'? Most of them do to some extent. Most of the ones that don't are old people who find it hard to cope with learning new things at their age, and even they will pick a few words of the local language.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I have lived in Gran Canaria for the last 4 years, and usually describe myself as a foreigner, or extranjero.

My Spanish is passable, and I love my "new" home.

I usually use the expat term to describe people who have been here longer than me, but still think the best way to communicate with the locals is by SHOUTING.

Lucky you living in Gran Canaria.
    My grandmother was Spanish and although i am by no means fluent in Spanish i will try to speak in Spanish before speaking in English.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who says that expats must not 'go native'? Most of them do to some extent. Most of the ones that don't are old people who find it hard to cope with learning new things at their age, and even they will pick a few words of the local language.
    as i said it's in the connotations.

"Expat" suggests a continuing identification and primary loyalty to their country of origin, and that their residence in the host country may not be permanent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is permanent? The people I'm describing are collecting a Canadian pension, have grown children living here and several I know haven't set foot in the UK since they migrated in the 1950s.

I know that abscence makes the heart grow fonder but that is pushing the boat out.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    nitenurse wrote: »
    Sorry darling, I've earned a BA and a BScN, hardly ill-educated and blinkered.

Employing patronizing phraseology doesn't enhance your argument.
    I work with many Europeans and the odd American. I've only ever heard the English describe themselves as "ex-pats".

Regardless of your personal experience, the fact remains that the term can apply to any nationality.

I try not to reference Wikipedia but in this case, I'll make an exception :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriate
    Your media certainly loves the phrase as well.
    My media ... ? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is permanent? The people I'm describing are collecting a Canadian pension, have grown children living here and several I know haven't set foot in the UK since they migrated in the 1950s.

I know that abscence makes the heart grow fonder but that is pushing the boat out.

Ahh you should have been clearer and referred to "ex pat retirees." Instead you came across as narrow minded.

You´re wondering why they still refer to themselves as ex pats when they have lived abroad for most of their life.

Maybe they still hold a British passport as the one of the country they are living in is rubbish and needs visas to go anywhere, so they are still a British citizen, just not a resident? Maybe they still use English and still have British traditions?
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callum9999 wrote: »
    I generally find the people who move abroad and call themselves ex-pats also never bother to learn the language (if applicable), stick to communities with other Brits and are the people who moaned about foreigners doing the above in England!

Like Muslim communities in modern Britain then by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh you should have been clearer and referred to "ex pat retirees."
    Maybe they still hold a British passport as the one of the country they are living in is rubbish and needs visas to go anywhere, so they are still a British citizen, just not a resident? Maybe they still use English and still have British traditions?

Sorry, I am eligible to hold a UK passport and haven't had one in over 30 years. English is one of the two official languages of the country.

The "rubbish" Cdn. passport they carry is cheaper than obtaining a UK one, and doesn't require visas for most destinations.

I just think it's a farce that people who left, worked the majority of their adult life, gave birth to and raised their families while enjoying the economic benefits of another country are calling themselves "ex-pats".

If you in the UK want to feel hard done to factor in that most of these ex-pats manage to claim a UK pension and then whine that it isn't inflation linked and is paid out to the value of when they left the UK. All the while collecting the Cdn. pension and the pensions from the companies they worked for.

To have worked for maybe five years out of a working life of on average 45 years and then complain about being neglected ex-pats by a country that they chose to leave is a total farce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member

Then you have not been around much. I am an American expat who is part of a group/club of American and Canadian expats. The term "expatriate" is not exclusive to British emigrants.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't ex-pats what you find in slurry pits?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pamuela wrote: »
    Spot on, Callum, Scofield and nitenurse,

I have 2 very close relatives living in Australia and Tennerife.

The one in Australia emails me every few days complaining about how sh*t the country is, but would never want to come back to the UK.

The one in Tennerife sells timeshares and cannot string a Spanish sentence together.

Both are still UK citizens with voting rights in UK elections.

Personally, I would advocate the removal of all rights to British passports, voting rights, pensions etc......... :(

Why shouldn't I keep my British passport - I'm still British and very much want to continue being British. I emmigrated because I fell in love with an Irishman and he wanted to live here more than I wanted to live in England, why on earth should I have to stop being British and get rid of my passport to get an Irish one, I live here but I'm not Irish? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my mum and dad currently live away from the country that they grew up in, raised their children in etc and call themselves 'ex-pats'. They do this because they were sent to that country as a result of my dad's job, are only living there temporarily and will return to their country of origin (which they still have a home in).

I think they felt that 'immigrants' (or economic migrants) was not the right word to describe themselves as they hadn't chosen the move and it wasn't a permanent relocation and see themselves as temporary residents in a host country.

I guess its all semantics but I think that this thread is not at heart about semantics but about wider issues in these days of globailisation and much more freedom of movement of people... issues such as:
    What is an immigrant?
    When does someone become an immigrant?
    How much ties should they retain with their country of origin?
    How much should they integrate into their new/host country?

In years gone by when people made the move to Aus/NZ/Canada/the USA it was often with a one way ticket and no expectation of returning. Integration was the only sensible way of getting on with life! However nowadays the internet and cheaper air travel allow a degree of connection with "auld country" and family and friends past that would not have been possible 50 years ago. I think that maybe this has changed the way people identify themselves.

Then there is a separate issue of the Daily Mail double standards where 'ex-pats' are white people in Spain and 'immigrants' are non-white or eastern European in the UK. That bugs me and is not an interesting evolution of the word and its relevance; but is instend a thin veil of smugness across rampant hypocrisy.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why shouldn't I keep my British passport - I'm still British and very much want to continue being British. I emmigrated because I fell in love with an Irishman and he wanted to live here more than I wanted to live in England, why on earth should I have to stop being British and get rid of my passport to get an Irish one, I live here but I'm not Irish? :confused:

Totally agree. I moved to the UK because I fell in love with a British bloke. I've no intention of becoming a British citizen or giving up my Australian citizenship. I live here but I'm not British. Mind you, I don't call myself an ex-pat.