Yes another ITV idea with the strangest judging panel

Meat Loaf yes ok

Bernie Nolan ermm yes ok

Myleene Klass why?

Larry Llewellyn Bowen WTF?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    I'm quite looking forward to this :) I'm a Saturdays fan so I'll be supporting Vanessa.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Yes another ITV idea with the strangest judging panel

Meat Loaf yes ok

Bernie Nolan ermm yes ok

Myleene Klass why?

Larry Llewellyn Bowen WTF?

Meatloaf - Some of his stuff is quite big in operatic stylr by rock standards thanks to his producer Jim Steinman.

Bernie Nolan - I can't understand it other than she is popular in the bill and the Nolans made a comeback last year.

Mylene Klass - She is under a big contract with ITV so they will get her on as many things as possible to get their money's worth. Also she had a successful album in the classical charts when she turned pianist.

Laurence Llewellyn-Bowen - A mystery. Maybe he has a lot of knowledge as an opera fan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are the public meant to know if there good or not when there not using opera trained judges . Are they singing proper opera pieces ? Anyone doing the mad scene from Lucia di Lammermoor lol ?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Is Bernie a judge or a contestant?
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Bernie Nolan is a contestant. Other females - Kym Marsh, Marcella Detroit and Vanessa White and males are Alex James, Danny Jones, Darius and Jimmy Osmond.

Judges are the 2 mentors, Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon (internationally renowned tenor), plus Meatloaf ( he started off in Opera and even sang at the NY Met) and Llewellen-Bowen (studied the world of Opera during his fine art course and has a long standing programme on Classical FM)

alastair r, - they are singing proper pieces in the original languages - well known arias

I think tonight's are Bellini's Casta Diva and Verdi's La Donna e Mobile
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    Bernie Nolan is a contestant. Other females - Kym Marsh, Marcella Detroit and Vanessa White and males are Alex James, Danny Jones, Darius and Jimmy Osmond.

Judges are the 2 mentors, Katherine Jenkins and Rolando Villazon (internationally renowned tenor), plus Meatloaf ( he started off in Opera and even sang at the NY Met) and Llewellen-Bowen (studied the world of Opera during his fine art course and has a long standing programme on Classical FM)

alastair r, - they are singing proper pieces in the original languages - well known arias

I think tonight's are Bellini's Casta Diva and Verdi's La Donna e Mobile

Looks very clever. the judges bring in several audiences. the contestants seem to cover an age range of 19 to 50 and include people from some of the biggest boybands, an older heart throb, reality singing shows, ITV TV and the second biggest current girl band they also come with details on wiki like " has enormous vocal range" and comments on how good a soprano voice they have - which suggests they can actually do it.

The only thing that might put a TV audience off is singing in some other language - foreign languages are hardly a growth industry educationally.
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Rumour has it American superstar Opera singer Scott Ciscon is going to perform, probably at the final.

He's of the Globus stable, who are doing the soundtrack to the Battlestar Galactica movie (not out till 2013/14, rediculous amount of money involved).

This is Scott Ciscon performing what is understood to be title song to the movie, "Madre Terra (Mother Earth)" - probably the most impressive song I've ever heard, especially the ending:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOz0WBoDLg

Personally think it's questionable, as I'm not sure how ITV could afford him.
    Forum Member
    Also rumoured to guest, Placido Domingo.

In the media earlier Paul Potts and Rhydian were mentioned. Knowing ITV, they're more likely to appear. Although what they can teach stars who've actually performed lead roles several times in the West End is beyond me.
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Randomly Gary Barlow is on the show tonight.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks very clever. the judges bring in several audiences. the contestants seem to cover an age range of 19 to 50 and include people from some of the biggest boybands, an older heart throb, reality singing shows, ITV TV and the second biggest current girl band they also come with details on wiki like " has enormous vocal range" and comments on how good a soprano voice they have - which suggests they can actually do it. ...
    Do you remember Shakespear's Sister, btw? I definitely want to hear how Marcella Detroit sounds trying opera. :)

Unfortunately, it clashes with Big Brother. :(
  • kc64kc64 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I was at the dress rehearsal last night. They all did OK considering their nerves, although it was hard to hear Danny over the screams of the McFly fans in the audience :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    several good hairstyles in this

Meat Loaf at it already!!!!!! :D
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Mr T can i join your thread? :)

I'm really enjoying this, hoping Danny is gonna be good.

Bless Alex :D

I think this's gonna be fun.
  • teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict if this comes back for a second series, that half the panel will be different, and they'll be no Alan Titchmarsh. Father/Daughter presenting works well, but Alan is no Phillip.

Sit down Meatloaf, stop trying to get attention.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Can I just ask what the flipping point is giving a Bass-Baritone a tenor aria and transposing it? It just doesn't work-you don't get the same thrill factor going, even if it was one of the more technically assured performances of the evening.

Hi Tabby! :)
    Forum Member
    Why didn't they give him something like Toreador or Ombra mai fu which IS usually sung by bass baritones.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I was classical trained and so is my daughter

I enjoyed the programme

I would love to see more opera virgins perform, I like seeing how they progress
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    Airam wrote: »
    Why didn't they give him something like Toreador or Ombra mai fu which IS usually sung by bass baritones.

There are another few weeks yet ... perhaps they will!!!

Personally, I really enjoyed this! It must take quite a lot for people who are pretty well-known in their genre to come out and do this ... especially someone like Danny who's at the height of his career with McFly (although I guess they're working on a new album, as they're a bit quiet at the moment!), - it's quite a long way to fall if they're rubbish!

I was actually quite pleasantly shocked by the singing ability (even Kym Marsh, which surprised me) - they were all actually pretty good!! And I very much enjoyed Alex's performance (although that song is awesome, no matter who sings it!), but I agree that he was the weakest 'singer' - his performance was fab though!

I'm already looking forward to next time! :)
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it could have been a complete disaster, but I was pleasantly suprised.

I've always liked Rolando and he's a real charactor, hopefully he will be back to singing at his best again soon. He really made the show for me....

As for the result - I was pleased to see the right person went.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this! Thought they all did great but was particularly impressed by Jimmy Osmond and Bernie Nolan.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedHed wrote: »
    Hi Mr T can i join your thread? :)

The catbox welcomes you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi Tabby! :)

Hi Lettice :)
  • DormouseDormouse Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can a real, live professional opera singer join the thread (even though I'm a rodent...)?

Thoughts:

Our Kath advising anyone on support, breathing, and language pronunciation is laughable. Neither has she ever sung onstage in an opera, and never will.

But I'll stop being ranty about Our Kath for a second...

The Contestants:

Some surprises - Darius, Bernie Nolan, and Marcella Detroit were stand outs, although hopefully at some point, one of the "coaches" *cough* will realise that Darius is a baritone (as already stated), and give him something appropriate.

And I'm afraid Danny was as flat as Kath's chest before the boob job...although I suspect he'll go far in the competition with the McFly vote.

Rather than dumbing my job, that I've trained for over a decade to do, down, the show is actually underlining the fact that it's damn hard, and DOES take a lot of training. Oh, and it's train-wrecky entertainment at its finest :)

Phone voting money, I'm informed, also goes to a music therapy charity rather than into the ITV coffers, which is a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Jenkins probably wants to shift a few more copies of her album
  • kc64kc64 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    glad somebody else has dissed KJ. I can't stand her singing voice I'm afraid.

Really enjoyed the show and am looking forward to seeing how the contestants progress, especially as they'll (presumably) be doing less well-known pieces in the coming weeks.