What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson. I thoroughly enjoy her writing!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm about to start on Reckless by William Nicholson. It's the follow up to Motherland and starts off at the end of WW2 before moving on to the 1960s and the Cuban Missile Crisis. It features characters from Motherland and outlines the family history of some of the characters from his trilogy of novels which were set in modern day Lewes.

I've thoroughly enjoyed his previous novels and am looking forward to this one.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel Sherratt - Watching over you

I have just started this as well, an Amazon Kindle offer! So far I think it's going to be a bit graphic and I am slightly regretting starting it bit once I have started a book I almost always finish it so ..watch this space...!!
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Richard Burton Diaries - Edited by Chris Williams
    Engrossing read
    This was a massive book to get through and towards the end, I was tireing of it, slightly.
    Fascinating insight to Burton's life during the sixties working and not working, married to Elizabeth Taylor, his voracious love of books, booze, family, poetry and travel etc.
    I did skip the odd page when he became too profound and utterly frank,
    In the seventies and early eighties made painful reading as drink and his decline in health was more prominent.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I have just started this as well, an Amazon Kindle offer! So far I think it's going to be a bit graphic and I am slightly regretting starting it bit once I have started a book I almost always finish it so ..watch this space...!!

I bought it on the kindle daily deal too. It's a bit different from her other books - she's more of a Martina cole/ Kimberley chambers style author
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm re reading the Dark Materials trilogy at the moment. I haven't read them for about 7 years. I am only halfway through Northern Lights currently.

I have been meaning to read these for years and never got around to it. Always busy reading something else. Heard a lot of good things about them though.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seventy-Seven: My Road To Wimbledon Glory ---- Andy Murray
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    looking good dead roy grace 2 by peter james.

a favour, i would like spoilers re sandy for anyone who is uptodate please!
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At Bertam's Hotel - Agatha Christie

2014 is the year of the re-read for me, I first read this about 30 years ago!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've started on a very long new audiobook, 29 hours of The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.
    It is 1866, and Walter Moody has come to make his fortune upon the New Zealand goldfields. On arrival, he stumbles across a tense gathering of twelve local men, who have met in secret to discuss a series of unsolved crimes. A wealthy man has vanished, a **** has tried to end her life, and an enormous fortune has been discovered in the home of a luckless drunk. Moody is soon drawn into the mystery: a network of fates and fortunes that is as complex and exquisitely patterned as the night sky.

Very slow so far and I'm wondering whether I'll stick with it.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I know this will probably get moved but hopefully a few suggestions will slip through first.

I've just finished 'The Curious Incident of the Dog etc ...............been meaning to read it for years. A bit novel and different and overall a goodish read.

My Kindle is at the ready to download. I don't go much for Sci Fi or Crime .....I like realism, stuff based in other countries, something with a (fairly recent) historical perspective. Can't really put into words TBH.

Anyone got any good suggestions?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Play Dead by Richard Montanari
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jude The Obscure by Thomas Hardy.

I've also read and enjoyed Anna Of The Five Towns by Arnold Bennett recently.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The Shining by Stephen King.

James Herbert's Haunted is next on the list.
  • BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How to get out of your own way by tyrese Gibson
    Forum Member
    Jude The Obscure by Thomas Hardy.

I've also read and enjoyed Anna Of The Five Towns by Arnold Bennett recently.

Jude is one of my favourite 'classics' - I always used to envisage doing a screenplay of it with David Essex in the title role:D
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Spy forums
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished Patricia Cornwell's Cause of Death and I'm about to start on Charlotte Bronte's Shirley, which I missed in my youth. Neither fit your criteria. I recently read Khaled Hosseni's A Thousand Splendid Suns, the follow up to The Kite Runner , which I enjoyed.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Brin's Sundiver; decided I really needed to get on with finishing all the Uplift series which I began about fifteen years ago, and found you can get each trilogy for 6.99 on the Kindle. I seem to recall Sundiver being the weakest; as such I'm *quite* enjoying it, but really looking forward to the second one, Startide Rising, which iirc is where they start getting awesome.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half way through Elizabeth of York. By Alison Weir. Interest sparked by the saga on here about Richard.
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I've just finished Patricia Cornwell's Cause of Death and I'm about to start on Charlotte Bronte's Shirley, which I missed in my youth. Neither fit your criteria. I recently read Khaled Hosseni's A Thousand Splendid Suns, the follow up to The Kite Runner , which I enjoyed.

Yes I loved both of those (BIB).

Think I'll log onto Richard & Judys book club - see what's going on there.
  • bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I'm currently reading Blood Sweat and a Cup of Tea by Tom Reynolds, its a short easy read about life as an ambulance technician.

I love the Kindle top 100 free list, I've read some fantastic books from there over the last couple of years.
    I found The Apothecary's Daughter really good, set in London in the 1660's.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

Yes I loved both of those (BIB).

Think I'll log onto Richard & Judys book club - see what's going on there.

That's a good place to start. I usually read most of their suggestions each year. I now keep a list of books I read as I forget now what I've read! Looking at them it's also hard to remember what they were about! I read a ridiculous mix of genres depending on my mood. I'll go mad and read a few thrillers in a row and then when scared half to death move onto humour! I never read or watch SF. A good first novel I read by Diana Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale, had me wanting to re read it as soon as I'd finished. It's an historical novel with a secret, well hidden until the end.:)
  • skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unseen Academicals.

I love Pratchett and I love football, it seemed ideal... I'm finding it a bit heavy going though. It's not gripping me like some of his have. Still, persevere.
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Val McDermid's 'Cross and Burn' and really enjoyed it. I thought her last one was dreadful but she's back to her best with this one.

It's quite nice having this thread in GD, even if it's just for a short while!