We've had Robin Hood & Merlin , what next?

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moleymo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever read David endings books about magic and sorcery? They were great I loved the characters

Is that the correct name? I assumed the missing apostrophe was a typo so Googled for "David Ending" but came up with nothing.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Is that the correct name? I assumed the missing apostrophe was a typo so Googled for "David Ending" but came up with nothing.

I think he means David Eddings.
    Personally I didn't overly enjoy his books. Felt a tad sexist.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »

Oops no spellchecker
    David Eddings I think, and great books passed onto me from an aunty so they are quite old
    The belgaried I think it was called
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »

I read them when I was young so probably anything deeper than a lovely magical story probably passed over me, but two of my favourites in those stories were the women
    They were both very strong heroic women, one lead an army the other a powerful sorceress
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    I'd like to see some decent versions of Discworld stories.

Guards! Guards! to start with, they can reuse the CGI dragons from Merlin.

There's already a few good Pratchett adaptations done by The Mob. If I remember rightly, The Mob are working on their next adaptation which is going to be Unseen Academicals and it will be on Sky One.
    Oops no spellchecker
    David Eddings I think, and great books passed onto me from an aunty so they are quite old
    The belgaried I think it was called

David Eddings, the first set of five books is The Belgariad, then there is a follow on series of five called The Mallorean. They are then followed by stand alone books Polgara the Sorceress and Belgareth the Sorcerer.

The Belgariad starts with Pawn of Prophesy, then Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanter's End Game. The Mallorean starts with Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Koranda, Sorceress of Darshiva and then The Seeress of Kell. Can you tell I've got them and read them a fair few times :)

I'd also disagree that Eddings is sexist, Polgara is one of the best written characters in fantasy literature imho and most of the other female characters are strong, Ce'Nedra starts off as a spoilt brat and grows into a powerful queen and a good partner for Belgarion.
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    David Eddings, the first set of five books is The Belgariad, then there is a follow on series of five called The Mallorean. They are then followed by stand alone books Polgara the Sorceress and Belgareth the Sorcerer.

The Belgariad starts with Pawn of Prophesy, then Queen of Sorcery, Magician's Gambit, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanter's End Game. The Mallorean starts with Guardians of the West, King of the Murgos, Demon Lord of Koranda, Sorceress of Darshiva and then The Seeress of Kell. Can you tell I've got them and read them a fair few times :)

I'd also disagree that Eddings is sexist, Polgara is one of the best written characters in fantasy literature imho and most of the other female characters are strong, Ce'Nedra starts off as a spoilt brat and grows into a powerful queen and a good partner for Belgarion.

I read them all Cadiva :-) it was a fantastic series, I've never re read them as an adult so don't know if they would be too childish but in my opinion from what I remember they could beat Harry potter 100% and adults read those books
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read them all Cadiva :-) it was a fantastic series, I've never re read them as an adult so don't know if they would be too childish but in my opinion from what I remember they could beat Harry potter 100% and adults read those books

I've re-read them many times, they stand up even as an adult :) They're not overly complicated but they're a good read.
    Forum Member
    There's already a few good Pratchett adaptations done by The Mob. If I remember rightly, The Mob are working on their next adaptation which is going to be Unseen Academicals and it will be on Sky One.

Polgara was kick arse! I remember loathing ce nedra at first and loving her at the end
    It was a right canny love story, there was a knight called hetar? Had a huge crush on him
    Forum Member

She :) people often confuse my username as male
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polgara was kick arse!

I love Polgara, she's one of my favourite female characters in any genre. The book which tells her story, Polgara the Sorceress, is one of my all time favourites. I got a wee bit emotional when her and Durnik eventually had kids but my favourite character from all of the books has to be Silk (Kheldar).
    Forum Member
    I love Polgara, she's one of my favourite female characters in any genre. The book which tells her story, Polgara the Sorceress, is one of my all time favourites. I got a wee bit emotional when her and Durnik eventually had kids but my favourite character from all of the books has to be Silk (Kheldar).

Silk was hilarious! Loved his sign language ha, I'm going to have to hunt out these books, it's probably because of these books I fell in love with this type of fantasy story
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silk was hilarious! Loved his sign language ha, I'm going to have to hunt out these books, it's probably because of these books I fell in love with this type of fantasy story

I know what you what mean, mine have all just resurfaced again since we moved house and I've popped them to one side to read again once I've finished up reading the latest two Raymond E Feist novels.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Yes, let's have something modern, or futuristic, with a strong female lead
    The Ballard of Halo Jones adapted by Russell T Davies.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    I think the Beeb should look to shows like Sky's Sinbad for inspiration instead of the same old plodding British legends. Yes, Sinbad is not new but it had not really been refreshed until now. Ok, the stories needed work but they designed a great looking world. It was also an international collaboration.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Catweazle could do with a remake

Or stories like The Ship That Flew - I think that would make excellent family viewing, and they could go virtually anywhere with that story
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it wrong to say "star trek with ghosts", oops sorry wrong thread

Seriously though, There is a trilogy of books called the bartimaeous trilogy by Johnathon stroud, they would make a fantastic series. or even though it was murdered by Hollywood, I would like to see His dark materials done
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually on second thoughts, is it not the time to bring back the proposed Ripper series from the buffyverse with tony head
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snellster wrote: »
    actually on second thoughts, is it not the time to bring back the proposed Ripper series from the buffyverse with tony head

Oh yeah. Give Buffy a very British flair and we get to see Anthony Stewart Head do some more of his great acting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Onedin Line - 2K13!! A re working of the original series set in the original timescale. Probably a bit too expensive to make these days but sexed up and with some hunky sailors and buxom wenchs it could be a Saturday night hit!
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    I'd like to see some decent versions of Discworld stories.

Guards! Guards! to start with, they can reuse the CGI dragons from Merlin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watch_(TV_series)

Terry Pratchett's daughter Rhianna is one of the writers
    OK, thought of something but not sure anyone here will know it.... an adaptation of John Christopher's triology 'The Prince in Waiting'. They could probably utilise some of the Merlin sets, costumes and maybe some of the CGI.

I read those donkey's years ago

Set in a world after a disaster has caused Britain to revert to medieval ways
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I read those donkey's years ago

Set in a world after a disaster has caused Britain to revert to medieval ways

Yes! that's the one! It has some Merlin-ish elements in a way: boy seeking his place in the world, dwarves and malformed people (forget what they were called, but they were forced to live as servants to non-malformed people), Seers (who turn out to be scientists) and small kingdoms within what is now Britain warring with each other.

It was set in a post nuclear apocalypse society. I loved the first of the three parts, but think it tailed off a bit afterwards but I would still love to see it televised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    OK, thought of something but not sure anyone here will know it.... an adaptation of John Christopher's triology 'The Prince in Waiting'. They could probably utilise some of the Merlin sets, costumes and maybe some of the CGI.

Great idea, I loved those stories as a kid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I don't believe it will ever ever be made into TV or a Movie by anyone, BBC, HBO or anyone, but I read them in my early teens, & still think they'd make an excellent TV series/Movie -Julian May's "Saga of the Exiles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile
  • AlexR!AlexR! Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I would love to see a good adaptation of the Elric of Melnibone tales. I could see it as the starting point for a series of linked sagas of the Eternal Champion, perhaps each by different writers/directors exploring the entire multiverse. Could run, on and off, for years. But I guess it probably wouldn’t make prime Saturday teatime fare, what with a hero reliant upon drugs to stay alive and a sword that demands to be constantly fed by the souls of those it kills.
    So lots of blood, then. :eek: And probably beyond the pocket of the BBC to fund alone. But in conjunction with HBO, just maybe…

Slightly more feasible in this timeslot could be a proper adaptation of the Jungle Book. I love the Disney version as much as the next person, but I’ve always separated it in my mind from the original book that my parents owned which was beautifully illustrated (by Kipling's father, I think) and of course already comes in a set of distinct stories. Not sure whether the associated Imperialistic overtones would make it a hard sell overseas, and I guess it wouldn’t be cheap to do well, though, either. :(

Oh well, looks like it’s Dr Who through to the Musketeers then. :cool:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    HeadLouse wrote: »
    I don't believe it will ever ever be made into TV or a Movie by anyone, BBC, HBO or anyone, but I read them in my early teens, & still think they'd make an excellent TV series/Movie -Julian May's "Saga of the Exiles"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_of_Pliocene_Exile

The makers of Terra Nova stole the idea of humans travelling back into the distant past of Earth to make a better life for themselves from that