Dobbies Tiller

hallchallc Posts: 200,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking of buying a rotavator or tiller I,ve seen one in Dobbies for £65 Does anyone know if it is value for money?

I have a square of 10 yards by 10 yards to turn over
Would it be up to it

Any help please...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £65 won't buy much - certainly electric, certainly low power and cheaply made (tbh, anything for £65 from Dobbies, with their prices, can't be up to much).

I've a 4-stroke petrol Mantis and that's only "so good" - for light ground working (maybe turning over the top 4-6 inch), and only then if the ground is in good state (not too damp) and only if there's no clay, and the surface isn't compacted. It'd still be a damn-site stronger/tougher than a light-weight electric tiller.

I'd go with what Woodbush recommends - hire a bigger rotovator and work the land in a morning, then return it. There's probably cheaper places than HSS, or maybe ask around your local allotments - someone will have one and probably happy for some beer tokens.

If, however, your garden is already turned over, and you're just after a finer tithe, then possibly, just possibly an electric job might just about manage that.

EDIT: What is the ground like (compacted, clay?), how much grass or weed, and what are you after achieving (a fine tithe growing area for plants and flowers?)
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be careful if there are weeds that spread by roots such as Couch Grass ,Convolvolous, (spell) or Creeping Buttercup or worse still Horse Tail, don't rotovate, it will poison the land . My neighbour used to say any bit with 2 ends will grow.:) Only way is to dig and fork out all roots.
    If you have time you can cover ground with Black plastic for a year to clear weeds.
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summat wrote: »
    £65 won't buy much - certainly electric, certainly low power and cheaply made (tbh, anything for £65 from Dobbies, with their prices, can't be up to much).

I've a 4-stroke petrol Mantis and that's only "so good" - for light ground working (maybe turning over the top 4-6 inch), and only then if the ground is in good state (not too damp) and only if there's no clay, and the surface isn't compacted. It'd still be a damn-site stronger/tougher than a light-weight electric tiller.

I'd go with what Woodbush recommends - hire a bigger rotovator and work the land in a morning, then return it. There's probably cheaper places than HSS, or maybe ask around your local allotments - someone will have one and probably happy for some beer tokens.

If, however, your garden is already turned over, and you're just after a finer tithe, then possibly, just possibly an electric job might just about manage that.

EDIT: What is the ground like (compacted, clay?), how much grass or weed, and what are you after achieving (a fine tithe growing area for plants and flowers?)

Thanks for that , it is what I,m thinking I will have a look at hiring
    Thanks for your help guys