Options

Can juries from the same area as a well loved celebrity be impartial

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems someone must have reported my last thread as it got deleted. It is a general point, in that can we really trust that juries from the same areas & backgrounds as well loved celebrities can be truly impartial? Would it not be better that a jury was selected from completely different parts of the country in these types of cases, and in extreme cases where a celebrity is held in high esteem nationwide to have judge only trials?

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both the Crown and the defendant can object to one or more jurors, although they can't quiz them to find out if they are biased.

Is it likely to be a common problem anyway? If we are referring to genuine celebrities, their lifestyle is unlikely to have a lot in common with that of a random panel of jurors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Is it likely to be a common problem anyway? If we are referring to genuine celebrities, their lifestyle is unlikely to have a lot in common with that of a random panel of jurors.
    I think the north of england can be quite tribal, so yes I do think there was a significant risk that the 'local boys done good' factor would risk prejudicing the trials in these cases.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    If it's a big name celebrity and case though how can they find anyone who has not already got a opinion on it or is at least a little bit biased either way.

I thought about this during the Michael Jackson case how did they find someone didn't really know who he was who had not already have heard a lot about it and in the 2nd one didn't know the details about the first one.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    I think the north of england can be quite tribal, so yes I do think there was a significant risk that the 'local boys done good' factor would risk prejudicing the trials in these cases.

Jesus wept! There really is some grade-A rubbish posted on here at times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Jesus wept! There really is some grade-A rubbish posted on here at times.
    Sorry, but what exactly is rubbish? Are you denying that people in the north, and especially so close to the area around Manchester that Coronation Street, a well loved soap opera that defines the northwest of England, going for over 40 years, is based on, are more likely to hold a favourable view of Bill Roache, than someone from the South of England, for example?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was amazed that so many 'celebs' were allowed to give character witness statements at the hearings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I was amazed that so many 'celebs' were allowed to give character witness statements at the hearings.
    Exactly I cannot understand why this is allowed, it is known that sexual predators very often hide their abusive sides from both friends & family, and very often are declared pillars of their local community & charitable or religious people as Savile once was. Holding the Roache trial where it was was as mad as trying Savile in Leeds.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly I cannot understand why this is allowed, it is known that sexual predators very often hide their abusive sides from both friends & family, and very often are declared pillars of their local community & charitable or religious people as Savile once was. Holding the Roache trial where it was was as mad as trying Savile in Leeds.

No-one could have looked dodgier than Jimmy Savile, and many many people had grave doubts about him over many years. He is not a parallel to Bill Roache. And why do you seem to suggest that BR was tried in his local area? He lives in Cheshire, works in Manchester, but the trial was in Preston.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems someone must have reported my last thread as it got deleted. It is a general point, in that can we really trust that juries from the same areas & backgrounds as well loved celebrities can be truly impartial? Would it not be better that a jury was selected from completely different parts of the country in these types of cases, and in extreme cases where a celebrity is held in high esteem nationwide to have judge only trials?

Given that they're celebrities, what is the relevance of the area of the country that they come from?

Maybe we could recruit from non-human species from far-flung areas of the world, just to be sure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one could have looked dodgier than Jimmy Savile, and many many people had grave doubts about him over many years. He is not a parallel to Bill Roache. And why do you seem to suggest that BR was tried in his local area? He lives in Cheshire, works in Manchester, but the trial was in Preston.
    I am not saying Roache is anywhere near as bad as Savile. Preston is very close to Manchester which is where Coronation Street is based on. Coronation Street the soap has defined that area of the north west in peoples minds throughout the country for the past 40+ years. I simply think to ensure justice, and in other cases where a defendant is a very well loved celebrity, with a following in a particular area of the country, the case should either be moved to a court in another part of the country, or the jurors should be taken from a different area.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More pointless sweeping generalizations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that they're celebrities, what is the relevance of the area of the country that they come from?
    Of course there's a relevance, some celebrities are most well known & loved in particular areas.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP assumes that everyone gives a flying hoojie about celebs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but what exactly is rubbish? Are you denying that people in the north, and especially so close to the area around Manchester that Coronation Street, a well loved soap opera that defines the northwest of England, going for over 40 years, is based on, are more likely to hold a favourable view of Bill Roache, than someone from the South of England, for example?

Well done. you just accused those people of not being able to reach a decision based on the evidence provided.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there's a relevance, some celebrities are most well known & loved in particular areas.

Maybe "local" celebrities, not ones who are well-known for appearing in networked soap operas.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must admit, the appearance of Deidre et al did seem somewhat at odds with the court asking the jury to separate Bill Roache from the character he plays.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    Well done. you just accused those people of not being able to reach a decision based on the evidence provided.

Or lack of/no evidence.
  • Options
    Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member

To us they are celebs, to Bill they are work colleagues providing character statements.

God forbid if I am ever accused of anything like this I would hope my work colleagues would do the same.

Load of tripe in this thread by people who did not attend the trial. Give the jury at least a modicum of common sense. A lot of people seem disappointed he is innocent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Or lack of/no evidence.

Absolutely.

I think the Crown Prosecution Service needs looking at IMO if it seriously believed these women had much of a case against WR. Come on - it was over 45 years ago and it appears that none of then could get their evidence straight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not saying Roache is anywhere near as bad as Savile. Preston is very close to Manchester which is where Coronation Street is based on. Coronation Street the soap has defined that area of the north west in peoples minds throughout the country for the past 40+ years. I simply think to ensure justice, and in other cases where a defendant is a very well loved celebrity, with a following in a particular area of the country, the case should either be moved to a court in another part of the country, or the jurors should be taken from a different area.

What an absolute load of rubbish. The reason he was found not guilty was because of lack of or no evidence whatsoever, nothing to do with where the trial was held.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

I think the Crown Prosecution Service needs looking at IMO if it seriously believed these women had much of a case against WR. Come on - it was over 45 years ago and it appears that none of then could get their evidence straight.

Exactly, and why so many people believe it is a witch hunt.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't be ridiculous.

You're obviously talking about Roach and he's one of the best-known soap stars in the country.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not saying Roache is anywhere near as bad as Savile.

How bad are you saying he is?
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Humans have a big problem with impartiality for all sorts of reasons.

Justice systems are limited inevitably by the human factor which is why it's sensible for there to be limitations on their power e.g. not having the power to condemn citizens to torture or death etc.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because someone decides that a celebrity is well-loved, it doesn't mean that the twelve people on the jury all love him, no matter where they or he are from.